ForumsWEPR[necro]Ethics: Your choice

340 105077
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

This will be an ethical question thread, that will relate mainly to religious beliefs and ethics. Hopefully it will be a good idea and people will want to play.

Each week I will present a topic, and you may discuss it, and bring your morality into the question.

This week:
soldiers have come to search your house! They will kill you and eat you if they find you. You are hiding in the closet farther away from the door than your friend who is hiding underneath a sofa. The people eating soldiers stop in front of the sofa, and start bending over slowly to see if there is anyone underneath it. You see this through the crack in the door. You have 2 choices to jump out, scream and run out the door to save your bestest friend in the whole world, or you can watch them drag him away.

basically would you save yourself? or would you save your friend.

• 340 Replies
fear_the_ibex
fear_the_ibex
84 posts
Nomad

The correct answer in my opinion is ii. because the work in hank's hands is not his own, but instead gorkon's. It is up to gorkon if he wants to share his work before it is published.

BTW DDX, which AP exams are you taking, wouldn't be AP psychology would it? :P

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Took that last year, I took the BC calc exam already (yesterday) the AP french exam on monday, I have the AP studio art (2-D) submissions due tomorrow. On next monday I have to take the AP Physics C exam, and AP chem is on wednsday, and AP Macroeconomics is on thurday I believe.

with this I will have taken 14 AP's in my highschool career by next friday.

Can you say owned?

sorry for straying off topic -.-

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

*Whistles* Damn thats one hell of a workload...

fear_the_ibex
fear_the_ibex
84 posts
Nomad

Nice, was kinda hoping AP bio was in there somewhere :O
AP bio is my first and only ap exam. Rather than take AP for english, math, and chemistry i just decided to take them at the local college. GL with your exams, 5's all around, cross ya fingers ;D

HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

I'd go with decision i (1).

His work is going to be published & publicly available; at which point she'd be able to read his work anyway and get inspiration from it.

If she winds up plagiarizing the material, then she's an idiot & she'll have to deal with any lawsuits that come her way as a result of her actions.

fear_the_ibex
fear_the_ibex
84 posts
Nomad

Hidden- i think the question means that the work has not yet been published, if not then I will prob change my answer :/

HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

I was aware - hence my wording 'going to be published'. It is quite likely that since his project is much further along, it will wind up being published first. If it doesn't... well, the world isn't going to wait for him; regardless of someone having taken a small look at what he's planning on publishing.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

AP bio is my first and only ap exam

AP bio is cake walk I'd take 5 AP bio tests over 1 AP chem test.

yea, I also got a 5 on that one lol.

Anyway, due to AG being down for 2 days, the question up will stand till friday.

In Dostoevsky's novel Crime and Punishment the main character plots and carries out the murder of an old woman who has a considerable amount of money in her apartment. After killing her, he steals the money. He argues that 1) she is a malicious old woman, petty, cantankerous and scheming, useless to herself and to society (which happens to be true), and her life causes no happiness to herself or to others; and 2) her money if found after her death would only fall into the hands of chiselers anyway. Whereas he would use it for his education. Is this action justified?

(I just finished the book lol)
Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Well at the end of the day it is murder pure and simple. I think it would depend on whether you think you could get away with it. If you get caught the money will just go to the government or whoever anyway.

Tubey
Tubey
18 posts
Nomad

Although, in my opinion, it'd be better to kill that particular woman, and use her money for an education, than kill some random person and waste the money, the fact is that it's still murder, and in my opinion, not justified.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Ah, I feel the same way as you Pixie, I don't think it is ethically correct to take the old woman's life, even if she was useless to society. Murder will always be murder. This reminds me of the Stealing to survive: Good or bad? thread.

HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

It wouldn't be right to take her life.
She might be crotchety & old, but it's her money.

Now.. if the old woman was say... instrinsically involved in death camps during the holocaust.. and the money she has stashed is stolen Nazi gold; I might think otherwise.

dehtor
dehtor
68 posts
Nomad

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, so this could go on forever

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, so this could go on forever

yea the point of the thread is to hear everyone's opinion of how they would react in a given situation dealing with self ethics.
fear_the_ibex
fear_the_ibex
84 posts
Nomad

Definitely not justified. No matter how much of a nuisance a person may be, that does not justify stealing her life. In addition, that was not his money that he took, so that to was wrong on his part.

AP bio is cake walk I'd take 5 AP bio tests over 1 AP chem test.
?I'm just the opposite, I'd rather take the chem, at least it has more of a math element to it :s
Showing 91-105 of 340