ForumsWEPR[necro]Ethics: Your choice

347 49455
DDX
DDX
3,577 posts

This will be an ethical question thread, that will relate mainly to religious beliefs and ethics. Hopefully it will be a good idea and people will want to play.

Each week I will present a topic, and you may discuss it, and bring your morality into the question.

This week:
soldiers have come to search your house! They will kill you and eat you if they find you. You are hiding in the closet farther away from the door than your friend who is hiding underneath a sofa. The people eating soldiers stop in front of the sofa, and start bending over slowly to see if there is anyone underneath it. You see this through the crack in the door. You have 2 choices to jump out, scream and run out the door to save your bestest friend in the whole world, or you can watch them drag him away.

basically would you save yourself? or would you save your friend.

• 347 Replies
DDX
DDX
3,577 posts

Ok, so I will not be posting a new topic on friday, since this week is AP exams week.

Consider the case of Hank. Hank knows that another scholar, Gorkron, is working on a book on Epistemic Disagreement because he reviewed Gorkron's book proposal for the University of Chicago Press. As part of the proposal, Hank has a copy of the first chapter of Gorkron's book.

Hank also knows that Jen is working on a book on Epistemic Disagreement for the New York Academic Press. Hank also knows that Jen would be interested in seeing Gorkron's chapter, not to 'scoop' Gorkron, but just to get an idea of how she might want to approach her own book (which is already underway).

Is it:

(i) not morally permissible in any case for Hank to share Gorkron's chapter with Jen

(ii) morally permissible for Hank to share Gorkron's chapter with Jen, but only with Gorkron's permission (Hank isn't sure if Gorkron knows he was a referee for his proposal)

(iii) morally permissible for Hank to share Gorkron's chapter with Jen, but only with the University of Chicago Press's permission

(iv) morally permissible for Hank to share Gorkron's chapter with Jen, but only with both Gorkron and the University of Chicago Press's permissions

(v) only morally permissible for Hank to share Gorkron's chapter with Jen if condition ________ is met (fill in the blank)

All right have at it!

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,857 posts

ii I reckon I would get "Gokrons" permission first. However it would depend on my realtionships to them both as well. However it may be iv because the Uni could throw them of the course if they see plagiarism no matter how small even if she is only needing an "idea" of how to start. Its close and I may change my mind but at the moment it is ii.

Somecallmetim
Somecallmetim
66 posts

I would have to go with:

(ii) morally permissible for Hank to share Gorkron's chapter with Jen, but only with Gorkron's permission (Hank isn't sure if Gorkron knows he was a referee for his proposal)

You have to have the Author's permission for another author to review the material for their own creative purpose. Also since the proposal isn't to the press yet, they do not need to be consulted. If it was already at the press then you would need their permission as well.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,096 posts

I would definitely go for no. 2, you should always ask an authors permission before you go out giving away copies of his unpublished book.

BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts

I would say there is one right option.
ii: If Gorkron gives you permission, there's nothing wrong with showing what belongs to HIM, is there? If he doesn't give permission... that's stealing his work, even if you don't use it.

DDX
DDX
3,577 posts

I say (i), because when I am in Gorkron's shoes I feel I have to protect my own work, unless of course I was very good friends with the said people. So thinking about other people, I would say (i), though if you choose to share it, it be the right thing to do at least tell hank, you have the intent to share it.

fear_the_ibex
fear_the_ibex
83 posts

The correct answer in my opinion is ii. because the work in hank's hands is not his own, but instead gorkon's. It is up to gorkon if he wants to share his work before it is published.

BTW DDX, which AP exams are you taking, wouldn't be AP psychology would it? :P

DDX
DDX
3,577 posts

Took that last year, I took the BC calc exam already (yesterday) the AP french exam on monday, I have the AP studio art (2-D) submissions due tomorrow. On next monday I have to take the AP Physics C exam, and AP chem is on wednsday, and AP Macroeconomics is on thurday I believe.

with this I will have taken 14 AP's in my highschool career by next friday.

Can you say owned?

sorry for straying off topic -.-

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,096 posts

*Whistles* Damn thats one hell of a workload...

fear_the_ibex
fear_the_ibex
83 posts

Nice, was kinda hoping AP bio was in there somewhere :O
AP bio is my first and only ap exam. Rather than take AP for english, math, and chemistry i just decided to take them at the local college. GL with your exams, 5's all around, cross ya fingers ;D

HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,314 posts

I'd go with decision i (1).

His work is going to be published & publicly available; at which point she'd be able to read his work anyway and get inspiration from it.

If she winds up plagiarizing the material, then she's an idiot & she'll have to deal with any lawsuits that come her way as a result of her actions.

fear_the_ibex
fear_the_ibex
83 posts

Hidden- i think the question means that the work has not yet been published, if not then I will prob change my answer :/

HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,314 posts

I was aware - hence my wording 'going to be published'. It is quite likely that since his project is much further along, it will wind up being published first. If it doesn't... well, the world isn't going to wait for him; regardless of someone having taken a small look at what he's planning on publishing.

DDX
DDX
3,577 posts

AP bio is my first and only ap exam

AP bio is cake walk I'd take 5 AP bio tests over 1 AP chem test.

yea, I also got a 5 on that one lol.

Anyway, due to AG being down for 2 days, the question up will stand till friday.

In Dostoevsky's novel Crime and Punishment the main character plots and carries out the murder of an old woman who has a considerable amount of money in her apartment. After killing her, he steals the money. He argues that 1) she is a malicious old woman, petty, cantankerous and scheming, useless to herself and to society (which happens to be true), and her life causes no happiness to herself or to others; and 2) her money if found after her death would only fall into the hands of chiselers anyway. Whereas he would use it for his education. Is this action justified?

(I just finished the book lol)
Pixie214
Pixie214
5,857 posts

Well at the end of the day it is murder pure and simple. I think it would depend on whether you think you could get away with it. If you get caught the money will just go to the government or whoever anyway.

Showing 91-105 of 347