ForumsWEPR[necro]Ethics: Your choice

340 104728
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

This will be an ethical question thread, that will relate mainly to religious beliefs and ethics. Hopefully it will be a good idea and people will want to play.

Each week I will present a topic, and you may discuss it, and bring your morality into the question.

This week:
soldiers have come to search your house! They will kill you and eat you if they find you. You are hiding in the closet farther away from the door than your friend who is hiding underneath a sofa. The people eating soldiers stop in front of the sofa, and start bending over slowly to see if there is anyone underneath it. You see this through the crack in the door. You have 2 choices to jump out, scream and run out the door to save your bestest friend in the whole world, or you can watch them drag him away.

basically would you save yourself? or would you save your friend.

• 340 Replies
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

Well, if I have the money, I would buy itm because I don't like being dishonest. If not, then I say to Hell with the government, because I also don't like it when there's starving poor children.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Well, if I have the money,

you dont have the money, the firm is donating it out of the "somewhat" goodness of their hearts.

The thing is that if you report it more than its worth they will donate it, if not, they will not donate it. If you do report it they will gain around 20,000 more in spending cash and for all we know could be spent on booze and sex parties.
BigP08
BigP08
1,455 posts
Shepherd

The thing is that if you report it more than its worth they will donate it, if not, they will not donate it. If you do report it they will gain around 20,000 more in spending cash and for all we know could be spent on booze and sex parties.

Okay then, as much as I would hate the way this money is spent (if it is spent that way), I couldn't turn a blind eye to people in need.
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Okay then, as much as I would hate the way this money is spent (if it is spent that way), I couldn't turn a blind eye to people in need.

ah, thankyou this is what I was looking for
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Honestly? The children need the van, so give it to them. And the eway the money is spent is no problem, as long as it's legal- and it would obviously make the children happy and the participants in said booze and sex parties too :P

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

and it would obviously make the children happy and the participants in said booze and sex parties too :P

yup, gotta think of everyone, except the money stealing government >_>

*shakes fist at government*

But you must also remember that with the tax revenue the government provides jobs for hundred of millions of people (225 Mil roughly- 300 mil roughly) though then again you might say 5000 dollars ain't a lot, but to the government now in an economic crisis, every penny counts.

Thanks alt
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

But I think that each penny counts more when they're dedicated to helping a poor orphanage.

driejen
driejen
486 posts
Nomad

If the orphanage was short on money, then the government is obviously overlooking and underfunding it. I'd take the van because the children need it, even if it costs the government more, you cant just leave children in poor conditions. I would think looking after children is a higher priority than what the government might spend the money on, like improving public services. Although the company is exploiting this to get more money or reputation, that is greed that I'd leave the company workers to contemplate because I do think the well being of the children is more important.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

If the orphanage was short on money, then the government is obviously overlooking and underfunding it.

private orphanage bud (that is why you can accept donations and such, thought that was clear to everyone >.&lt. Plus most governments do not fund orphanages rather the adopters do (usually a lump sum (transaction fee) is paid after papers are signed).

just thought Id clear that bubble up.
driejen
driejen
486 posts
Nomad

ok, my bad. im not well informed about these things xD

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

no, its cool. My job is to make sure you understand the situation completely so you can make the most ethical decision (in your own opinion) regarding the current problem.

HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

I'd report them to the government & sue the dealership for extortion.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

I'd report them to the government & sue the dealership for extortion.

>.> always the unorthodox... Yes, you will probably get lots of money, around 60-80k based on the facts at hand. You will probably not be receiving many donations afterwards though
HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

I would argue to the contrary.

The story would likely be high-profile, and the media would most likely portray the dealership as the villain, and I'd gladly do interviews & get the message out there that I'm just a regular guy who was tempted by an offer but decided to do the right thing. The media coverage would paint me as the good guy, and get a lot of free advertising & I certainly wouldn't pass up an on-air or on-paper opportunity to encourage people to donate; which, I'm sure many people would.

So, I'd be receiving more donations, along with any settlement/court win money gain from the dealership, along with being in the right in the eyes of the law & morality.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

actually I think people will be more reluctant to donate anymore because you decided to make the government involved. But then again I don't have much knowledge on court stuff... Not planning to have anything to do with law :\\

Showing 121-135 of 340