Forums

ForumsPopular Media

Battle of the Bands: Kaiser Chiefs vs Editors & ProtoMartyr vs Future Of The Left (Page 428)

Posted Jan 18, '14 at 5:07am

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,302 posts

Knight

I have been asked to run this thread in what's-his-name's absence. Until he returns to his post as battle master, I will be in charge of posting battles and counting votes and whatnot, so if you have any suggestions for future battles (do people even do that anymore?), I'm the guy to contact for the time being.

Unless anyone has any objection.

Posted Jan 18, '14 at 9:35am

UnleashedUponMankind

UnleashedUponMankind

6,451 posts

Well, this is not easy... ^^

Both bands had and still have a great influence.
Their band-members... are all very good, not a few are simply outstanding.
The music... both have great songs, also their live performance...
to shorten it upo: they are too many things to count, and they are both very equal in all of them...
so im must go on a (b)draw(/b), sorry^^

Posted Jan 18, '14 at 2:19pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

4,299 posts

No mentioning of No Quarter for Led Zeppelin!? :O
That's by far my favorite song by them!

Anyway, I've always looked at The Who as a pop group with too much energy to burn. The teenage themes were pretty original, though, because there weren't many bands before them who sang about angst. I guess you could say they were pioneers in stage antics and modernly cliche lyrics. Music wise, their only two songs I can stand are Pinball Wizard and My Generation. Who Are You is so overplayed it isn't even funny anymore (though the same can be said for Stairway), and Won't Get Fooled Again drives me up the wall.

Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands of all time. Robert Plant is my second favorite singer ever, and Jimmy Page is my second favorite guitarist ever. John Bonham was one of the most innovative metal drummers alongside Bill Ward. John Paul Jones was a very talented bassist, but I don't feel he was on the same level as the other three. Nonetheless, still a **** good musician.

If it isn't obvious by now, I'm going with Zep.

Posted Jan 23, '14 at 2:36pm

themastaplaya

themastaplaya

1,020 posts

Led Zeppelin is the best classic rock band ever! If Led Zeppelin doesn't win, there is no hope for mankind in music. Robert Plant has a voice of gold, Jimmy Page is a master guitarist, as is JPJ, and who cares that John Bonham choked on his won vomit? This is rock and roll baby!

Posted Jan 23, '14 at 3:55pm

gh0sts

gh0sts

888 posts

I must vote for Led Zeppelin, for they've become so legendary over the years that the mere mention of their name strikes a sense of understanding and connection that few other bands can produce.

Made more sense in my head, but you get the idea.

Posted Jan 25, '14 at 10:38pm

xXxDAPRO89xXx

xXxDAPRO89xXx

5,361 posts

Led Zeppelin is one of the bands I tihnk of when I think of classic rock. The Who not so much... In plus the only song I know by them is Pinball Wizard, whereas I know many (great) songs by Led Zeppelin.

Led Zeppelin

Posted Jan 25, '14 at 11:33pm

Pieguyme

Pieguyme

994 posts

Led Zeppelin. Can't get much better then Rock and Roll. Unless, of course, the challenger is Foggy Mountain Breakdown.

Posted Jan 28, '14 at 1:31am

waluigi

waluigi

1,954 posts

While I love both bands, I'm actually going against the norm here by saying I prefer The Who. Being a prog rock fan, I've am absolutely in love with their concept albums "Tommy" and "Quadrophenia". Plus, the crazy antics and musicianship of all the band members was amazing.

Plus, after hearing the entirety of their Woodstock performance that occurred early in the morning, I can say that those guys could put on a show. As such, The Who gets my vote.

Posted Feb 1, '14 at 11:45pm

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,302 posts

Knight

It's been two weeks. Neither band received anywhere near 10 votes, but 5-1 should be enough to determine how this battle would have played out anyway.

Led Zeppelin - 5
The Who - 1

New battle:

The Temptations

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/df/Classic_5_Temptations_circa_1965.jpg

Just My Imagination
Papa Was a Rolling Stone
My Girl
I Can't Get Next to You
I Wish It Would Rain

vs.

The Miracles (a.k.a. Smokey Robinson and the Miracles)

http://www.singers.com/group/images/Miracles.jpg

Tears of a Clown
I Second That Emotion
Tracks of My Tears
Shop Around
Going to a Go-Go

Motown needs your vote. Don't let them down.

Posted Feb 2, '14 at 12:03am

Riptizoid101

Riptizoid101

5,805 posts

Oh wow this is a tough one. I'd have to go with the Temptations, though, because as a group they were more influential and successful than the Miracles. Besides, Smokey Robinson was better and more successful as a solo artist in my opinion.

So yeah. The Temptations.

Reply to Battle of the Bands: Kaiser Chiefs vs Editors & ProtoMartyr vs Future Of The Left (Page 428)

You must be logged in to post a reply!