Forums

ForumsPopular Media

Battle of the Bands: Kaiser Chiefs vs Editors & ProtoMartyr vs Future Of The Left (Page 428)

Posted Jun 21, '14 at 5:15am

09philj

09philj

1,769 posts

Right, @Ernie15 has said it's fine for me to take over this thread for the time being.

Alternative rock has many styles. Here are two of the best:

Pixies
http://4ad.com/uploads/artists/custom/107.jpg

Debaser
Velouria
Where is my mind?
Magdalena 318
Gigantic

VS

Nirvana
http://www.caughtinthecrossfire.com/uploads/2013/10/nirvana-hammersmith1990-630x549.jpg

Smells like Teen Spirit
In Bloom
Come as you are
Lithium
Something in the way

Posted Jun 23, '14 at 12:30pm

UnleashedUponMankind

UnleashedUponMankind

6,451 posts

Never was a fan of Nirvana, imo they are totaly overrated... mainly because of the whole Cobain-story.
Besides this i would say the Pixies have the greater influence on the whole music-scene... not to say even Cobain leave one of his own concerts earlier to see them... so, my vote is clear: Pixies.

Posted Jun 23, '14 at 2:16pm

boppins

boppins

572 posts

Administrator

Alternative Rock, as it is known with bands like Nirvana, just started to become on its own while I was in high school.. the first alternative rock radio station opened (and eventually died) during my HS years. I listened to it on the bus on the way to school every day and eventually in my own car ;)

That being said.. They must not have played Pixies much, because the only memorable song in that selection is "Where is my mind?". Whereas I instantly recognize all the Nirvana songs. Listening to the Pixies songs is quite difficult and I don't like any of the other ones. I think this type of music is something that you have to experience along with emotional periods to actually enjoy, and nostalgia about later.

Posted Jun 24, '14 at 5:43am

DrElmer

DrElmer

480 posts

Never cared much for Nirvana, but one band I've never liked at all is the Pixies. I did not hear them until I was an adult, but my ex-wife liked them and would play their music sometimes. I got a lot of use out of my Walkman back then.

Nirvana is the one I dislike less, so I will vote like teen spirit.

Posted Jun 24, '14 at 7:41am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

9,075 posts

I am not a fan of either of the bands to be honest... I dislike the fact that Nirvana has been hyped at the top of the grunge era, especially the suicide factor that boosted them even higher... not to mention the whole aftermath with Courtney riding along that wave of popularity from Curt's suicide. Ugh... the only good thing that came from Nirvana is a bashing loveable artist who put his foot down in music with a variety of bands and songs along with it: Dave Grohl!

The Pixies are a band that makes chaotic, bizarre, weird music that never stuck in my mind... I've heard quite a few songs by them, but they never made me enthusiastic about any of them. It's just one of those bands that never found its way into my music collection, not even for the sake of collecting everything.

So, for the sake of having to decide who to vote for... I will choose Nirvana, simply because of that über-drummer Dave Grohl and several songs I could enjoy at the right moment, at the right time! =)

Let's hope my GF won't read this, EVER!! Because she would kick me out of the house instantly!!!
(oO)

Posted Jun 24, '14 at 8:30pm

jeff2241

jeff2241

121 posts

The Pixies are a band that makes chaotic, bizarre, weird music that never stuck in my mind...

i agree with this statement. i can actually listen to nirvana. so nirvana.

Posted Jun 25, '14 at 7:26pm

gh0sts

gh0sts

888 posts

I share the opinion with @DrElmer and @MrDayCee that I don't really like either of these bands. Nirvana is too depressing for me, and I don't even know what the Pixies are trying to do. However, I do like the song "Where Is My Mind" so I will vote for the Pixies.

Posted Jun 26, '14 at 3:20am

Ernie15

Ernie15

13,302 posts

Knight

One thing you're going to need to remember to do when you start a new round is tally up the votes from the previous round so we know who the winner is.

AC/DC - 3
Airbourne - 4

For the previous round, I've done it for you. Airbourne wins. For the rounds you've started, you'll have to do this yourself when you post the new battle. You'll also want to be wary of thin reasoning, which most commonly takes the form of a vote without an explanation. Those are usually easy to spot, but you'll have to use your best judgment so as to not overlook details (Unleashed's vote on page 423 was saved by the implication from his quote as an explanation).

"I like X band's music better" is usually a valid explanation for a vote. "X band is better" may not always be.

I'll leave it to you to determine which band @boppins voted for.

Posted Jun 26, '14 at 3:37am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

9,075 posts

+1 upvote for @Ernie15! =)

To add to this all... if the battle is tied, try to leave it open a while longer to get a winning vote before closing it and moving on. Unless this takes way to long of course... ;)

Posted Jul 2, '14 at 11:11pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,700 posts

Pixies were one of the bands I grew up to thanks to my mom. This band is pure bliss and the style is original and enjoyable. The vocals, which if you say you don't hear them and want to shout along with him you are nothing but a dirty liar...the bass which goes about the simple but catchy style...guitars that stick in your head...and a groovy drum line.

Not to mention that this band did better things for music than Nirvana. Pixies are a foundation band for Alt-rock...a style which grows still today. Nirvana were merely headliners for grunge rock, a style that died out faster than Nirvana sold out.

Reply to Battle of the Bands: Kaiser Chiefs vs Editors & ProtoMartyr vs Future Of The Left (Page 428)

You must be logged in to post a reply!