ForumsForum GamesGeneral Ignorance

60 7340
Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

This is a quiz where the answers are never as they seem. They are based in incorrect "general knowledge" answers.

Rules/regualtions

You get 1 point for a correct answer, more (whatever I feel) for being interesting (relevant to the question) but 10 points off for giving the obvious answer. You can only guess once per question and, most importantly, I'm always right this stuff is all off of QI.

First question is:

How many wives did Henry VIII have?

• 60 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Well, if you are not washing yourself, you carry the bachteria. And possibly the fleas... And dead people would be carriers as well, though they would be unable to infect people as it seems to be infecterous through bites and so > >... It has to go through the skin, right?

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Ok I like that your debating the wrong answer. and even worse both gave the obvious answers of rats/fleas.

The bacteris Yersinia pestis (the bubonic plague) is found in the Marmots in Mongolia. They spread it to things like fleas and rats and humans by coughing. all the great plagues of Eruope and east Asia came from these marmots. they have caused the deaths of over a billion people and are second only to the malarial mosquito in death tolls.

Bug_Virus_Of_Olympus is on -10
moklon is on -10
Cenere is on -8
jezz is on 1

Where was Marco Polo born?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Venedig?

jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

Obvious answer: Venice!
Right answer I think: Croatia?
I cant remember where in Croatia though. It begins with C or K.

Bug_Virus_Of_Olympus
Bug_Virus_Of_Olympus
998 posts
Nomad

It is a C I think Jezz, and Pixie, fleas/rats caused the plague in europe, so technically...

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Probably. Evil trick questions are evil, and I am going Whut at his way of adding as suptracting points, but who cares
> >

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

fleas/rats caused the plague in europe

Yes but the rats and fleas got them from marmots.

Whut at his way of adding as suptracting points

sorry... obvious answers get points off, interesting answers get extra points.

jezz is right on both counts... marco polo or more specifically MArko Pilic (mark chicken in english) was born in Korcula, Dalmatia in 1254. Technically it was a protectorare of Venice only but whatever...

Bug_Virus_Of_Olympus is on -10
moklon is on -10
Cenere is on -8
jezz is on 3

Who invented the steam engine?

a) James Watt
b) George Stephenson
c) Richard Trevithick
d) Thomas Newcomen
e) A Heron from egypt
Bug_Virus_Of_Olympus
Bug_Virus_Of_Olympus
998 posts
Nomad

Thomas Savery

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Thomas Savery

Care to expand bearing in mind its not an option but it might be interesting so you can pick up points.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I reinvented it!!
Uhm, that Heron?

Bug_Virus_Of_Olympus
Bug_Virus_Of_Olympus
998 posts
Nomad

Thomas Savery was a british military engineer who was the first man to patent a crude steam engine

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Thomas Savery was a british military engineer who was the first man to patent a crude steam engine

Interesting info wrong answer to the question but you get some points for being interesting.
jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

From what I know, Thomas Savery wrote a book on Steam engines and Thomas Newcomen took his ideas and put them into practice.

moklon
moklon
351 posts
Nomad

Thomas Newcomen but thomas savery technically invented the steam engine i think?

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Ok I'm bored so the answer was e) A Heron from Egypt (well done Cenere) Newcomens engine of 1711 os about 1,600 years too late. Heron lived in Alexandria in (about) AD62 he invented the aeolopile or more approprialely a steam engine. It worked on a similar system to jet propulsion and span a metal sphere at 1,500rpm. No one could think of a practical function for it though and it was seen as a novelty. 700 years ealier though in Corinth the first railway had been invented by Periander.

Bug_Virus_Of_Olympus is on -8
moklon is on -10
Cenere is on -4
jezz is on 3

Who invented the telephone?

Showing 31-45 of 60