ForumsArt, Music, and WritingDark Reign ~ A Story In Progress

119 16352
Morrighan
Morrighan
102 posts
Nomad

Hello fellow Armor Gamers. I'm an avid writer and I've started planning a story called Dark Reign. It's a vampire story and it takes place during our time in the city of Seattle. I'll be posting tidbits about it along and along and I appreciate any comments. Thank you.

~Morrighan

P.S. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

• 119 Replies
Morrighan
Morrighan
102 posts
Nomad

No, they don't. Vampires have their own communities that humans don't know about. When humans look at the school they see a Christian private school, a glamour is in place, in fact, glamours are in place around all vampire communities because they think humans will attack them.

jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

Hey I love the idea for this story. I can't wait to see how it develops. Have you already started writing it?
A word of advice.. If you're basing it on the Twilight vampires, don't make them too similar...

thiswontwork
thiswontwork
127 posts
Nomad

Nice setting.
But reminds me a bit of Harry Potter.
But Harry Potter was a good book so this Story can be that too =P.
Want some more info!

Morrighan
Morrighan
102 posts
Nomad

jezz it isn't like Twilight. No, I'm still in the planning stages right now.

thiswontwork I see how you think its like Harry Potter because of the glamour, but right now I plan for that to be it.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I'm also a general writer. . .I write whatever.
This sounds interesting. . .but it's a delicate balance between Twilight and originality if you're using vampires in a 'New-Age' setting.

pickleshack
pickleshack
356 posts
Nomad

Can't judge much until you post some of those ramblings I read about on the first page of the thread...although, vampires are cool. I hope you have an interesting take on them.

Morrighan
Morrighan
102 posts
Nomad

Finally, the moment you've all been waiting for... After digging through tons of paper I have finally found my first draft (I couldn't find the second one... It's better)! My version of vampires! ~ Enjoy.

Vampires worship the Goddess Nyx. This is why people believe a cross hurts a vampire, but it just annoys them. Vampires don't like trying to be converted. The cross has no effect what-so-ever.

Some vampires are born with an allergic reaction to garlic. Vampires do eat human food, and most enjoy Italian cuisine.

Vampires have very fair skin so they can't take much sun. The prefer to travel at night but can go out for short periods of time during the day. Half vampires and Innocent vampires are able to go out into the sun with no consequences. Vampires DO NOT burst into flames when the sun touches them.

Not all vampires are alike. Some are born, and some are created. Only full blooded vampires can be born, and half vampires can be created. Once every century an "Innocent" vampire is born.

Vampire clans and families each have their own special Marks. Some vampires have many marks while some will only have one. Marks do not show a vampires social status.

Vampires are all born with super speed, the ability to fight, and natural beauty. Some are also born with the ability to heal, levitate, and use compulsion. Vampires normally specialize in one area, but some specialize in more than one.

Finis.

Morrighan
Morrighan
102 posts
Nomad

Another thing. I need everyone's opinion on what the protagonists name should be. I've got a few in mind but I want to know what you think. They are:

Celeste Antoinette van der Woodsen
Noelle Ariana Lestrange
Geneva Isabella Swann
Raven Saoirse Deveraux

thiswontwork
thiswontwork
127 posts
Nomad

Nice explaining of what your Vampires are like.

Vampires are all born with super speed, the ability to fight, and natural beauty.

Twilight?! Why no ugly, stupid Vampires?
But the rest is good.
As a name I would choose Raven S. Deveraux.
Raven is a bit more special.
Morrighan
Morrighan
102 posts
Nomad

Uh, I don't know... Most vampires you hear about are very beautiful. Not just Twilight.

jezz
jezz
3,337 posts
Farmer

Im sorry but I can't help feeling you've just taken a few ideas out of Twilight and Darren Shan's Vampire series.

Vampires have very fair skin so they can't take much sun. The prefer to travel at night but can go out for short periods of time during the day. Half vampires and Innocent vampires are able to go out into the sun with no consequences. Vampires DO NOT burst into flames when the sun touches them.
This is pretty much quoted right out of Darren Shan's book.

I think you might have a few original ideas here, dont get me wrong, but perhaps you could throw a totally new take on vampires out there? Perhaps they're allergic to something else? Or they have different appearances to a typical vampire?

Also for the name i very much like Raven Saoirse Deveraux.
Mainly because
Celeste Antoinette van der Woodsen is too long.
Lestrange is a family from Harry Potter
Isabella is from Twilight and Swann is a common name used in fantasies.
sonam
sonam
840 posts
Nomad

if you could, make it different from twilight. it wont be much fun then. you should add lots of action. a little kissing scenes and such but mostly horrors. dont make non-drinking vamires, they suck. make vampires and other enemies (not the werewolves, too obvious). the darren shan books of vampire are really good and you might get ideas from reading them, thats all

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

(not referring to the awkwardly sparkling ones, but the way they act/"work&quot?

"Poof, is tradition."

BWAHAHAHAH, But I'm up for hearing any sort of vampire things, just make sure to have werewolves in there, as they are the sworn enemies of vampires. The sworn enemies.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Do you know how to avoid those inevitable comparisons to Twilight, abhorrent literary crime that this is?

Make it halfway real.

Not even all the way real. Just halfway. So that the characters aren't projections or pin-ups or their circumstances overbearingly overwrought. Please. I'm begging you, write something that will make us forget.

The way I'd tackle it would be purely from the most realistic perspective possible- writing about the specific group of families that have a porphyrin defect. But then I'd have to make something supernatural out of the natural. Maybe that's better than trying to make something natural out of the supernatural.

Morrighan
Morrighan
102 posts
Nomad

Thanks for all the comments guys. jezz I haven't even read that series or heard of that author. I swear.

Also, I found my second draft of what my vampires are like so I'll be posting that soon.

Showing 16-30 of 119