Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Torture-Is it Helpful

Thread Locked

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 1:18am

SPowerQ

SPowerQ

44 posts

COme and state your views on torture.

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 11:54am

Spartan

Spartan

2,924 posts

No its just insane to torture your own race our huumanity,whats the point to do it,get information?

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 12:16pm

Calm

Calm

981 posts

Knight

According to the declaration of human rights, torture is a heavy crime.
I agree that torture is bad, both for the tortured guy and the torturer since his bad instincts are developed.
But still, I think that if you knew that somebody wa holdinga a secret and that if you knew it it would save thousands of people, then I think torture is allowed if he refuses to obtemperate.

I think torture should only be used in extreme cases and as the last resource.

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 12:22pm

Jikek

Jikek

1,303 posts

torture is good if used to get important info from someone. but if used any other way it is just wrong.

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 12:24pm

murftheman

murftheman

77 posts

I agree with Calm.

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 12:30pm

Asherlee

Asherlee

5,346 posts

Knight

Look at this scenario:

A terrorist group has planted a small nuclear device with a timing mechanism in London and it is about to go off. If it does it will kill thousands and make a large part of the city uninhabitable for decades. One of the terrorists has been captured by the police, and if he can be made to disclose the location of the device then the police can probably disarm it and thereby save the lives of thousands. The police know the terrorist in question. They know he has orchestrated terrorist attacks, albeit non-nuclear ones, in the past. Moreover, on the basis of intercepted mobile phone calls and e-mails the police know that this attack is under way in some location in London and that he is the leader of the group. Unfortunately, the terrorist is refusing to talk and time is slipping away. However, the police know that there is a reasonable chance that he will talk, if tortured. Moreover, all their other sources of information have dried up. Furthermore, there is no other way to avoid catastrophe; evacuation of the city, for example, cannot be undertaken in the limited time available. Torture is not normally used by the police, and indeed it is unlawful to use it.

Is it morally "okay" to use torture in this situation?

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 12:31pm

Calm

Calm

981 posts

Knight

As I said before, in this case I believe it would be morally "OK" to use torture.
And damn the law!! lol

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 12:37pm

manofomens

manofomens

4 posts

The biggest reason, aside from basic human rights, that torture is wrong is outlined in the concept of informational validity. If you were being tortured, wouldn't you say anything to make the pain stop? If you torture the aforementioned man, how do you know that the information gained is accurate? When it comes down to it, torture is an un-necessary evil that mars our perception of information.

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 12:41pm

Calm

Calm

981 posts

Knight

@ manofomens

It depends of how you use torture. If you use it to force somebody to admit he's a criminal, then you're wrong as he might admit it even if he was innocent.
But in some cases as the example given by Asherlee, torture is a necessity.

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 12:42pm

murftheman

murftheman

77 posts

How else do you get the information?