Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

The Way of Moderation has ended (page 566)

Posted Apr 13, '10 at 7:17am

KnockoutSloth

KnockoutSloth

928 posts

So true.......And then I just appear out of NOWHERE

Posted Apr 13, '10 at 9:02am

thisisnotanalt

thisisnotanalt

8,475 posts

High kicks are usually disadvantageous. Feet/legs are farther from the intended target than hands/arms, therefore a kick is slower, therefore it is easier to defend against a kick. Kicks are also generally more tiring, and, frankly, if you need the extra power, you're doing it wrong. That being said and true enough, if you're throwing kicks, it may be best to aim high, as you don't want to actually hurt anyone and kicking the legs in a non-injuring way doesn't do much for your street cred.

But if you get enough height and speed, you can quickly and unexpectedly demolish someone's face.  Also, it's generally more commendable for purely kumatai purposes, to the best of my knowledge.  But in a real self-defense situation, I'd generally prefer takedown stuffs.  If you hit the nerve cluster on the center-back of your hand hard enough, it can disable your entire arm for a while.

This 2 page long conversation about balls is going to find its way into the WoM story at some point...

Just remember that I was being metaphorical.  I even mentioned it last page!!!

Posted Apr 13, '10 at 10:34am

Strop

Strop

10,824 posts

But if you get enough height and speed, you can quickly and unexpectedly demolish someone's face.

Incidentally, this is Mirko Cro Cop's signature technique for MMA bouts. His left roundhouse kick to the face has sent many a head into orbit with a single blow.

p.s. Alt, Xzeno practices hung gar kung fu, which explains why he says what he does. HAIL WONG FEI HUNG!

Posted Apr 13, '10 at 11:58am

thisisnotanalt

thisisnotanalt

8,475 posts

*cannot speak any Asian languages*

Also, ouuuch at Crocop's roundhouse.  *that* would be painful.

Posted Apr 13, '10 at 1:30pm

Xzeno

Xzeno

2,082 posts

You realise this is easy, right?

Laughably so, yes. But I'll keep doing it until it stops working. If I ever had to fight a trained fighter... oh man, I don't know what I'd do :P

Usually, but not always :P

This brings me to my next point: While I believe one usually shouldn't kick for the face in the same way one usually shouldn't punch for the knee, if it is advantageous to kick someone in the face... kick someone in the face. I don't advocate not being able to kick people in the face, and I don't advocate never doing it per se. I do advocate using discretion, as face-kicking is often suboptimal.

you can quickly and unexpectedly demolish someone's face.

Another excellent point. Being unpredictable is as essential as predicting your opponent. For that, face-kicking may be a good idea.

*cannot speak any Asian languages*

Hung ga is a style of kung fu that specializes in being better than whatever crap Strop practices :P/jk/italickiddingfont. Check it out on wikipedia.

Wong Fei Hung is considered to be the founder of the style. Naturally, the history of Hung Ga - like anything else - is a bit more complex than that, but it's a good working definition.

Going back to writing now...

Posted Apr 13, '10 at 11:47pm

Strop

Strop

10,824 posts

Laughably so, yes. But I'll keep doing it until it stops working. If I ever had to fight a trained fighter... oh man, I don't know what I'd do :P

Just yell CHUCK NORRIS while throwing the kick. The fear of his godly roundhouse should cause your opponent to drop dead instantly.

that specializes in being better than whatever crap Strop practices

That must be something real special, given that I practice being awesome :P

Okay, about 30ish hours before deadline. I'm going to get cracking on my own scenes.

Posted Apr 14, '10 at 12:19am

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,072 posts

Knight

*cough* I am the one who has mastered the art of being awesome...

Posted Apr 14, '10 at 12:23am

1,770 posts

*cough* I am the one who has mastered the art of being awesome...

hahahahaha of course you have... :P lol *looks around suspiciously*

Posted Apr 14, '10 at 1:16am

Gantic

Gantic

7,434 posts

4) Try to write Strop in character. Note that he is going to be brooding, probing and suspicious.

You have no idea what I'm going to do.

Posted Apr 14, '10 at 10:03am

Strop

Strop

10,824 posts

You have no idea what I'm going to do.

Anything except "submitting it late" would be just fine, thanks.

Less than 24 hours left, guys! As of this point, I'm only waiting on Gantic and Goumas now. Goumas? Please tell me you know the deadline is approaching!

Reply to The Way of Moderation has ended (page 566)

You must be logged in to post a reply!