ForumsArt, Music, and WritingThe Way of Moderation has ended (page 566)

5646 5427044
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/hinthintnudgewinknudge.jpg

• 5,646 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

STROP HAS A SISTER? IS SHE PRETTIEZ?

Oh crap, I said too much again <_<

Unlike Strop, Strop's sister does not exist on internetland.

More like Strep.

Strep's already taken, by Strop's "Dr Horrible" alter-ego.

There was a super-severe storm that literally blew through the southern half of Australia, and as a result I had next-to-no internet for that time. Since this constitutes a delay, allow me to tell you a story:

Back in the days when I attended high school, as a senior (or year 12 if you live in Australia, Form VI if you live in the UK or equivalent), the school was experimenting with a new student council whose role it was to organise student-run events. Such as a Battle of the Bands, since the popular music scene was branching off from the already burgeoning but classically-oriented music department. One of my friends from way back (primary/elementary school) appointed himself as the spokesperson for this council. This guy's a bit of a ratbag, so at a school assembly, he took the liberty of announcing that the battle of the bands would feature me performing a freestyle rap.

That was the first I knew about it!

My friends stared at me. Then, as other people caught onto the focus, the group of people staring at me widened radially until nearly eight hundred pairs of eyes were staring at me. That is to say, the whole hall. Awkward.

I had a reputation as a classical musician, and a nerd to boot. There was not a trace of rapper in me. But it was too late: suddenly the whole school knew I was going to rap and it didn't matter what I said about it, if I didn't represent, the shame, man, oh the shame it would bring!

So I didn't have much of a choice. I scribbled down some lines, did some research, and come that fateful day, I stepped into the circle of a hundred odd people on the playground and was handed the mic. I can tell you now, I'm used to performing but this time I was just about bricking my pants! But nothing for it, I busted a few verses about how terrible a rapper I was (and made fun of some of the staff). And beatboxed. And got one of my beatboxing friends to give a preview for a performance he was to give. Before the beatboxing phenomenon reached mainstream media, I might add. Pioneering, yo.

It worked (or, should I say, I got away with it). People were even trying to compare my style to various rappers. More embarrassingly, people were trying to imitate me, though probably more to make fun of me >_> BUT I GOT RESPECT!

I think D:

Thus lies the inspiration behind this round. If you're well-known enough, you need to be prepared to weather unexpected s*** other people will say about you, and this may involve stepping out of your comfort zone. Considerably.
the_manta
the_manta
4,536 posts
Peasant

Strep's already taken, by Strop's "Dr Horrible" alter-ego.

Strup?

I remember being pulled into a rap battle at school one time.

Everyone was surprised by how good I was. They all know I' a rock and Ska sort of guy. :/

All in all, I enjoyed it though.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I've never actually rapped live, except for one time when I was a volunteer for a summer camp as a staff, and the usual rapper was sick . . . I had to rap about lunchtime(bssh skeekeekakshksh, uh, I eat a banana, a citrus bonanza, ham sandwich, swiss cheese, that's the lunch for lil' Hannah). It was awesome. Of course, I had a former St. Louis hood rat kid providing the beatboxing in the background, so that helped a lot.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Strup

I think that is the child version.
There was a super-severe sto[...]

I just thought that was going to be a good story:<
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Unlike Strop, Strop's sister does not exist on internetland.

I think you just like stating the obvious. Of course, what you say also depends on whether or not that's your older or younger sister (I'm guessing older) and how many other brothers she has (I'm guessing one, older than you, making you the youngest).

If you're well-known enough, you need to be prepared to weather unexpected s*** other people will say about you, and this may involve stepping out of your comfort zone. Considerably.

Yeah, well, it's not like you got friends that got people thinking you're some kind of genius. Yeah. WTF?!?! How are you supposed to solve this??? And then get huffy because they thought you would know.

Hence, everyone should lower their expectations of me, considerably. Of course, no one is proclaiming my prowess at anything here, hopefully. On the other hand, the Bullman is totally as awesome as he thinks he is.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Cool story, bro! (People say that on the Internet, right?) A performance being announced without the performer's knowledge or consent is a classic story line (usually used for laughs). I suppose that makes you the protagonist, then.

I think you just like stating the obvious. Of course, what you say also depends on whether or not that's your older or younger sister (I'm guessing older) and how many other brothers she has (I'm guessing one, older than you, making you the youngest).
I wanna speculate on Strop's personal life! Baseless speculation: What Gantic said (I trust his judgment due to his prowess at anything), plus the brother is closer to Strop in age, making the sister the oldest. Maybe I'm just projecting.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is: I'm not going to be able to edit my rap until the middle of this week, which means I probably won't do it at all, due to WoM updates.
the_manta
the_manta
4,536 posts
Peasant

Cool story, bro! (People say that on the Internet, right?)

Yes, but it generally connotes lack of interest.
Google567
Google567
4,013 posts
Farmer

Dude thats funny how people completely ignored the fact that you were dissing rap.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I think you just like stating the obvious

I like stating the obvious because whenever I stop, somebody either assumes something is obvious that is not obvious to everybody, or somebody does not find obvious what seems obvious to everybody, and complications ensue.

For example, this fact should not have been considered obvious. What was also evidently not obvious was that I'm using the obscure analogistic (that seems like a neologism to me!) metaphysic of my fictional universe i.e. the one in which "internetland", the virtual world, behaves like a real world, and the real world itself is some other parallel universe that we don't really consider while online. Which is why I've never mentioned it throughout the course of the WoM, and why you shouldn't think any further about it for the purposes of the WoM, seeing as it will never be a factor.

Thus it is entirely possible that my sister exists on internetland as a character of some sort. But seeing as she pretty much never uses the internet in real life, she does not. But you should at least have considered the possibility given how frequently we encounter "siblings" on AG itself.

Anyway, enough about my non-existent family. I'm just here to tell you that you should expect an update today. There are still a couple of outstanding entries, though.
FloydTC
FloydTC
2,920 posts
Nomad

Hmm....the name of Strop's sister...

her name is sai and he doesnt treat her like a sister.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

her name is sai and he doesnt treat her like a sister.

Oh my, is she s programme he never uses?
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I like stating the obvious because whenever I stop, somebody either assumes something is obvious that is not obvious to everybody, or somebody does not find obvious what seems obvious to everybody, and complications ensue.

Let us enter into discourse on the... (10 pages later) ...There are no girls on the internet.

What was also evidently not obvious was that I'm using the obscure analogistic (that seems like a neologism to me!) metaphysic of my fictional universe i.e. the one in which "internetland", the virtual world, behaves like a real world, and the real world itself is some other parallel universe that we don't really consider while online.

I don't suppose you've ever read the Everworld series.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Let us enter into discourse on the... (10 pages later) ...There are no girls on the internet.

Well now you see, I thought what I just said was pretty obvious >:3

I don't suppose you've ever read the Everworld series.

I have not. And I'm not pretending that the concept I'm using is original, either. Only that since I've never explained it here, nobody should reasonably be expected to know the specifics.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Mod party!

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Okay okay, enough of this. I'm almost ready to update!

Before I post, let me say that I was actually very impressed with how you guys responded to the task. There were many surprises, some people went above and beyond the specifications, and everybody has pretty much responded in their own way unique to their character. Thus far this seems to be the most successful round. So good stuff guys.

After I post, don't post your stuff just yet- I have a couple of stragglers to chase up >_>

Showing 3481-3495 of 5646