ForumsArt, Music, and WritingThe Way of Moderation has ended (page 566)

5646 5383161
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/hinthintnudgewinknudge.jpg

• 5,646 Replies
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

and I'd join by shoving a firecracker up their butt.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

See, as far as wat I know to be the inside, it's a very high-level thing taught only to black-belt level that requires a lightning-fast pivot from snap kick to roundhouse. It doesn't really look like that either, as the turn is during the first chamber, not the kick itself - the picture appears to be depicting the guy striking in the chest range and not in the side. My dad described it to me as raising your knee to your crotch as if you were going to do a front snap kick, but pivoting on your hip and forcing the power into a roundhouse kick, striking the side. It's meant as a feint, yes, but not in the way depicted.

It may be different from the picture because both of my relatives specifically studied Teruo Hayashi's school, which didn't include any jump/spin kicks, or anything like that. It is possible that Hayashi altered the technique a bit - in that instead of turning weirdly and striking the chest like the picture showed, you turn into a regular roundhouse kick. I'm thinking it would be more in line with the gyaku geri, the reverse roundhouse kick.

the_manta
the_manta
4,536 posts
Peasant

Keep practicing until you can blow that bag off its hinges...

Never Back Down?

Uh, inside and outside roundhouse kick? I know a reverse and a forward roundhouse... the reverse is much less useful, since you use your heel and you can't see all too well, but it's good for attacking someone behind you... granted, a backward hammer fist is just as good.

Anyway, the thing Alty's saying, the snap-pivot? I think I know what he's talking about, but my shifu never taught me much terminology. I'm pretty sure it's not just an inside roundhouse though, because as I've been taught, those are just a high sideways knee-snap with a pivot in your base foot. The outside is just a backwards version, with the heel and a back hook kick. But I dunno. Maybe your teachrar uses different terminology than mine.

BUT ANYWAY.

Results tomorrow Strop?
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I'm going by AG time, so the deadline is coming in approximately... 50 hours. After that I'll see if I have enough to declare it. I'll do so as soon as I can, as the next rounds are where things get interesting.

And since we have about fifty hours to go... let's continue this discussion of roundhouse kicks! What really confuses me is not the timing of the snap pivot, but its direction. If the direction of the pivot is as the picture indicates, I simply don't understand, because anatomy dictates that there are too many antagonistic movements for the movement to afford any power. But if the direction is the same as the regular roundhouse, then it makes sense. However that's just because as manta demonstrates, there's no such kick in the kickboxing repertoire.

Besides, I don't like roundhouses nearly as much as I like side kicks. Sure a good roundhouse can come out of nowhere if you're looking from behind a guard, but a side kick is like BLOCK THIS *bam*

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Well... I can't start on my part until exactly 24 hours from now. That gives me 26 hours!

the_manta
the_manta
4,536 posts
Peasant

Personally, I just like a good back hammer fist. If you put a little torque in on that, WAPPAH! Then again, my fists are gigantic, so that works out for me in the end.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

The direction is the same as a regular roundhouse, yes. The picture was messed up.

My left leg is really flexible(standing up, I can kick my leg up and, without bending it, hit my kneecap to my head enough that it hurts[which is not a good idea; I learned that the hard way) so I tend to like front kicks because I can take advantage of that for some pretty crazy height. But do to my lack of practice, I can become unbalanced after doing so.

Mah relatives also studied weapons(my dad actually still has a pair of sai, and his nunchuks were stolen by redneck Ohioans), which I've always been intrigued by. Some martial-arts-related weapons can be insanely hard to handle from what I understand, like the urumi.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Also, when I duck it and lunge into the opening, you're more likely to get nailed in the ribs rather than the nuts, which is what would have happened had you attempted the kick :P

On that note this is why flying kicks aren't a great idea. We weren't even sparring (we were playing a ball game) but some years back, I did a sneak-attack flying kick on this guy to get the ball off him and without looking, he did a perfect roundhouse kick into my crotch.

It was excruciating.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

. . . Ninja'd.

Double ninja, cuz I ninja'd a ninja.

Flying kicks also unbalance you, and any experienced student could easily block one, knocking you down and putting you in an excessively vulnerable position.

the_manta
the_manta
4,536 posts
Peasant

They're not practical, but it sure as hell is fun to tackle my friends with a flying kick from after school.

Also, I got scoop-kicked in the balls this one time. It didn't hurt all too much, coz I have balls of brass, but, yeah, it was just about the most uncomfortable experience in my life.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

balls of brass

I got balls of lonsdaleite.

Pwn'd.

. . . anyway, one time, when we were doing a volleyball unit in gym class, our gym teacher was spiking volleyballs at us to return. He spiked one right at me and it nailed me in the balls.

Most painful experience, though, was when I was three and I ripped the pad of my fingertip off. Ouch. I still can't vibrato when I play violin, cuz the pad of my fingertip from when I was a toddler was stitched back on and my finger grew around it . . . I essentially have a double-stacked fingertip pad on my left index finger now, and the added friction makes it very tough for me to vibrato on my violin. Arg.
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

I have balls of tungsten.

UBER OWNED.
the_manta
the_manta
4,536 posts
Peasant

Pwn'd.

STOP KNOWING SO MUCH.

Srsly. :P

And how'd you manage to rip your fingertip off? I remember I had the pad of my heel torn off by a refrigerator ventilation grate when I was 6 because I stood on it trying to reach the popsicles because they were too high up but it busted and fell off and took my heel with it and I got 4 stitches and it hurt and there was blood all over the car and...

Can I get a merit for longest run-on sentence, Strop?
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

I have balls of osmiridium. They can do more than just light a lightbulb.

The downside is, it hurts to...well, erhm, you know...
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Thoad, lonsdaleite is 51% harder than diamond. Waaay harder than tungsten.

That was epic failure, lol.

I ripped the pad of my fingertip off on a soup can. Now I have two fingertip pads, except that one is from toddler me and one is from current me . . . .
Showing 3871-3885 of 5646