Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

The Way of Moderation has ended (page 566)

Posted Aug 29, '12 at 8:59pm

warriorcats123

warriorcats123

702 posts

hello my children its really late wehre ii kive and i m tiedr anf got one of thosse everything id fubny things sowwy for mispelings if ther ia ant

Posted Sep 2, '12 at 5:17am

Strop

Strop

11,085 posts

I'm not sure what that last post was. It looks a lot like a bump.

Well that's okay. But today I have something much better than that for you...

THAT'S RIGHT, I HAVE A FREAKING UPDATE!

Yeah sorry, I know this is now ballooning way past 3 years, and I could have probably taken a whole year off the time if we didn't count all the time delayed due to me, but (and there's always a but) I had job applications and I have a literature review to do and this really important presentation about a patient so complicated I think I killed an entire Indonesian rainforest printing out all her documentation...

Anyway here's the update. Step by step we march towards the conclusion!

---

Just When Everything Was Starting to Make Sense

A shapely, alabaster leg slipped out from under the still water's surface, sending barely a ripple as it extended high into the air, languidly waving around. Through the thick haze of the steam rising from the water, it was nearly impossible to see past a single arm's length, but the total silence, save for the occasional drip and trickle of water that echoed around the tiled walls was testament to the absolute serenity of the baths.

Nill allowed herself the indulgence of a long sigh as she slipped further into the water, right to the point where her lips barely stayed above the level. In this position of exquisite slothfulness she ran her fingers over her suspended leg, revelling in its smoothness. She couldn't decide whether the vastness of the hair removal market for ladies was a good thing or the symptoms of a chauvinistic society, but in the thought-sapping environment she was in, she didn't have to care for now. This felt darn good, and that's all that mattered.

The relative coolness of the air around her leg was starting to send shivers up her spine, so Nill finally lowered it back into the bath, whereupon the sudden warmth radiating right down to her bones sent another shiver up her spine. Heaven! In the process she had involuntarily sat up, so she brushed the stray hair from her eyes, put on an imaginary thoughtful pout (she still didn't know if she had the hang of it yet), and pondered.

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/Way%20Of%20Moderation/12-18.png

Nill was in that place of her life where she was really just beginning to discover herself. Despite not knowing what she was going to do next, after the topsy-turvy times of discovering and getting used to those strange bumps and curves, after struggling to get away from the horrid confines of power and authority and abusing it in various inadvertant ways, and the chaos that was the events of the Way of Moderation, she was now in a place of serenity, having come to terms with her new self. And it was empowering. Maybe this was just the ticket to her happiness.

Nill stretched out her hand (she noticed her skin was starting to wrinkle, and wondered whether too much Rose-scented bath salts in the water could do her skin a disservice), and peered between the spaces of her fingers. "I am Nill." She said, experimentally.

"I am Nill," she said again, louder, more confident. "I am Nill, a regular citizen of Armor City." The misty air swirled around, stirred up by her speech. "And I will live my life in this way, enabling freedom in others from the ground up."

It had a reall nice ring to it. Yes, this could work. Nill took a bigger breath, and spoke to the empty baths: "I resovle to go from day to day working with my fellow folk to make the most of our opportunity, without exerting authority or interfering in the purest process of liberty. Because that is what I, Nill, the regular girl, believe in!"

Nill basked in the resounding silence following her declaration. There, she said it, and nothing was going to stop her now.

Suddenly, the surface water barely six feet away from her exploded in a spray of droplets and noise, and two dark figures burst upwards and towards her. In a split second of uncanny clarity, Nill could have sworn she saw a big fat bronze diver's helmet.

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/Way%20Of%20Moderation/12-19.png

Instinctively, she reached to her right, but she didn't have a staff, because that staff was Nemo's, and not Nill's. She would have taken a moment to reflect on every single event of her life and maybe even regretted her lifestyle choices, but it was already too late, and she was grabbed and promptly dunked underwater.

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/Way%20Of%20Moderation/12-20.png

"But you're not even a hitman, silly," a muffled voice from somewhere inside the diver's helmet chided Strop. The ninja horse tried to keep as straight a face as he could for as long as he could, but barely lasted a second.

In between fits of hysterical laughter, he shouted "Right you are, now quick, drop the salts before she drowns!"

Nill managed to twist free of Strop's grip just enough to burst clear of the water. "What the hell guys!" She choked out between frantic breathes. "What are you do-"

That was as far as she got before Strop readjusted his grip and promptly dunked Nill back in the water. "Looks like we were just in time! We heard you were getting adjusted to your new way of life. Can't have that!" he quipped.

"I don't think she can hear you now," the diver reminded Strop.

"You were supposed to be dropping the bath salts in the water!" Strop reminded the diver.

"Oh! Right!" The diver clumsily fished around before producing a sinister looking blue ball, which slipped right through her fingers and fell into the water.

Immediately there was a hissing and a furious frothing, and bubbles quickly obscured everybody's vision. The water turned the same shade of blue as the ball had been as it fizzed and sputtered. Strop suddenly found himself up against a new burst of vigour from the head and shoulders he had been holding down, and he threw himself forward, trying to cover and restrict bodily motion. But as Nill's actions became more and more frenzied, Strop found himself jinking harder than a cowboy on a bucking bronco, and eventually he lost grip as Nill emerged with an almighty roar:

"STOP GRABBING MY BOOOOOOOOBS!"

Everyone fell back, shocked. The hair still sat, wet and limp, upon the head, obscuring the face, but the voice had come out at least an octave lower than they had grown accustomed to. Gingerly, Strop reached out and pulled some of the hair aside, and gasped.

"Zophia, I feel stubble!"

Nill stiffened. "What!?"

The diver grasped her oversized helmet and yanked it off, and indeed, revealing Zophia's head. "It worked!?"

Strop nodded vigorously. "Yeah! Feel for yourself, Nill is Nemo again!"

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/Way%20Of%20Moderation/12-21.png

Zophia was about to grope Nemo's stubbly chin when the penny dropped for Nemo, and he jumped up, causing Strop to recoil as he was hit with a sudden exposure-induced blindness. "What the hell guys!!! Explain yourselves!"

"You're a guy again, Nemo, isn't that wonderful?" Zophia clapped her hands together.

"No!" Nemo shouted, still unaware of the implications of the water in the bath only coming up to about his knees. "I mean, maybe... I mean NO! Goddarnit I was just getting used to the changes and not being a mod and thinking that this kind of life would make sense after all and... why? Just why?" He slumped back down into the water and began to sulk.

"I promised I'd tie up every loose end from the Way of Moderation before I resigned as a moderator, Nemo," Strop informed him with a cheesy thumbs up. "And this includes the damage caused by the F-bomb incident."

"Loose end? Is that all I was then?" Nemo pouted.

"Aww don't take it like that," Strop simpered. "You see, since the Way of Moderation hasn't exactly found any new mods and I'm going to be leaving soon, we need as many moderators as we can get right now."

"But I don't WANT to be a-"

"Even if you don't want to be a mod, Nemo, AG needs you, and that's that. And besides, this was an admin decision. Here, I believe you might be needing this." From an unseen pocket, Strop produced Nemo's trousers and shirt, a wolfskin, and a long wooden staff, complete with duct-tape liberally applied to the middle. Nemo stared at it, before tentatively grabbing the staff and wordlessly turning it over.

"Right that's that then!" Strop and Zophia stood and hauled themselves out of the bath and started walking off. "Now that we know that this works, let's go try it on Moe!"

"You were testing it on me!?" Nemo exclaimed, outraged, but was summarily ignored by the other two. "Hey! Hey! WELL SCREW YOU TOO!" After hurling a couple more choice invectives and a bar of soap at Strop and Zophia, he realised that they had already left the baths.

Another two seconds passed.

Nemo stood there, his arms slumped. His brow furrowed for a moment, and then it set. "Hey! You're going to see Moe, right?" Nemo called out, clambering out of the bath and slamming the wolf cap on his head. He donned the rest of his garments as best as he could be bothered, and stumbled back onto the streets of Armor City, one leg still stubbornly refusing to fit into the leg of his trousers.

---

Posted Sep 2, '12 at 5:17pm

warriorcats123

warriorcats123

702 posts

im pretty shoure this is dieing

Posted Sep 3, '12 at 4:06pm

Cenere

Cenere

14,002 posts

Knight

im pretty shoure this is dieing

I am pretty sure you are wrong.
Just because no one but you are commenting, does not mean there is no activity around this, that no one enjoys reading the updates and follow the story.
One is not to judge a thread on the activity, but rather the content and the attention people are giving it. The same way a stickied thread is not dead, just because it's locked, and no one is commenting on the content.

You have got to remember that this is a thread at its close. If there is anything to do, it's just following it, and give their support, should someone see it fit. There are little to nothing to participate with, what needs to be discussed is done so off the scene on the email or through online messenger services, and what is posted here is merely the result.
Just because you don't see that activity, doesn't mean there is none.

But. We are at the close. About to die, if you catch the reference. But we are also marching towards it with our heads high, ready to welcome Death as an old friend.
Or, to put it more originally, the story is done soon. There is little more to do than wait and see how exactly it ends.

And it has been an enjoyable ride, but we are all, and here I believe I am speaking for everyone, not just Strop and I, tired.
This is three years old. I don't think there are many more words to write, as compliments, support or otherwise, besides telling the story.

Posted Sep 3, '12 at 4:58pm

light_chaser

light_chaser

1,092 posts

Noooooooo!! Strop is leaviiiing?!?

Ssy it ain't so, strop!

Please!?!

Posted Sep 3, '12 at 5:09pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

6,891 posts

In the story, yes. It says so quite clearly and in the plainest of language.

In actuality, yes. Strop has expressed his intentions to retire as a moderator, seeing as he is becoming increasingly busy with various medical duties. Or at least, so goes the rumor.

Posted Sep 3, '12 at 6:12pm

daleks

daleks

3,655 posts

Strop has expressed his intentions to retire as a moderator

But Stroppy said he will still be around from time to time. Just not a mod.

Posted Sep 4, '12 at 12:06am

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,296 posts

Knight

Test

Posted Sep 4, '12 at 12:06am

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,296 posts

Knight

test

Posted Sep 4, '12 at 6:02am

Strop

Strop

11,085 posts

In actuality, yes. Strop has expressed his intentions to retire as a moderator, seeing as he is becoming increasingly busy with various medical duties. Or at least, so goes the rumor.

But Stroppy said he will still be around from time to time. Just not a mod.

Both are true. I'll probably be around about as often as I am now, which is to say a few days a month. It's only appropriate that I retire as a moderator (as soon as this finishes) as I contribute virtually nothing to the forum in the official capacity of moderator, so it's not really going to be that big a change from normal.

And yes, I anticipate that I'll be continuing my physician training which involves exams in 2014. They're big (expensive) exams so I'll be studying for a whole year prior to them, hence I definitely won't be around that much. After that, though, I hope to be able to pick the pace of my projects back up again.

Reply to The Way of Moderation has ended (page 566)

You must be logged in to post a reply!