Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

The Way of Moderation has ended (page 566)

Posted May 22, '10 at 6:02am

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

To add a little, probably unneeded information regarding the judging:
On the Frank and Pixel pair-up: It was a good reason to pair them up simply for the flying (aerial battles are interesting to watch, and does give the author an opportunity to explore the battles grounds better and differently than they would have if it had been a grounded battle), I took note in the characters background as well. Pixel being the slightly snobbish, rich guy that consider money something safe and comfortable, and Frank, the air pirate, that left his (probably rich) aristocrat-family because this disgusted him. These informations called for something interesting, if not in action, then at least in dialogue, as these characters had their similarities. Pixel is a metaphor of how Frank would have been, if he had stayed, and as much as the thought would have disgusted him, it could also have intrigued him, and made him rethink how he is going to live his life. With this, he could have come out stronger on the other side. For Pixel, who most likely does not know of Frank's past, it was just a battle, but Frank has been outside of AG, probably travelling about and meeting action and adventure where he goes, something that Pixel, safe in his home, would not be able to experience.

For everybody left in the tourney:
You will need to take your time to read up upon your opponents. Many of the entries have given an image that you are only trying to portray the action, and not the characters. As seen above, a little reading up on would give the stories a whole new flavour of interesting, and it will seem more of a match of equals, than a match where the result is set.
Xzeno did a good job on his, as Strop said. It will be a pity, if he is the only one who can make it seem - real.
On another short note: Poison, I liked the fairness you put into your entry. It did give a bit of the "equal" feeling, simply because it seemed to me that it could have gone the other way. Portraying other characters in a way where you don't end up showing them as pity, self absorbed and characters you would not want to read about makes the story telling stand out. You don't need to degrade others to make yourself look better.
To a point, this goes for Thoad as well.
Manta, however did well in portraying the action, and even with the inconsistency of what the Chamber is, it had a good flow, and for better or worse, it was a good entry on Manta as a character. Thoad however, ended up looking more like one of the bad guys in a shooting game. But overall well done.

La.
To take it short: Go read up on your opponents. They will probably be happy to answer your questions about their character. Trust me, you will be happy you did when the new rounds starts, especially with Xzeno around.

Posted May 22, '10 at 7:31am

kingryan

kingryan

4,164 posts

And then there were 4...

(+ an Archiver slowly formulating a diabolical plan...)

It will be interesting to see the final rounds occur...

Posted May 22, '10 at 9:09am

the_manta

the_manta

3,006 posts

To be fair, I never thought the chamber could make nightmares like that...

Well... that's kind of disappointing... c'mon ryan, let's head over to the tavern! Ohhhhhh, ay-de-di-de-di-de-di-de-di-de-di-de-di-de-di!

Posted May 22, '10 at 10:03am

Cenere

Cenere

12,941 posts

Knight

To be fair, I never thought the chamber could make nightmares like that...

Well, as far as I understood Thoad's entry, his way of imagining the chamber is... like a chamber. Yours is a helmet. Besides, it was his device, of course it would end up being more "correct" from his side on. I still think you did good with the information you had.

Posted May 22, '10 at 11:06am

thisisnotanalt

thisisnotanalt

8,475 posts

Yeah, I knew I fell short as soon as I saw Crimson's entry, lol >_>
Anyway, I look forward to see the developments from the court case!

Posted May 22, '10 at 11:11am

thisisnotanalt

thisisnotanalt

8,475 posts

And, due to family issues, I'd have become a lot less reliable anyway(aunt has a brain tumor again).

Posted May 22, '10 at 11:38am

thoadthetoad

thoadthetoad

5,439 posts

(aunt has a brain tumor again).

Oh god! I'm sorry alt. That must be terrible to know :c. Worse than my mom's pancreatitis, considering that a brain tumor is well... yeah.

Posted May 22, '10 at 12:17pm

thisisnotanalt

thisisnotanalt

8,475 posts

Oh god! I'm sorry alt. That must be terrible to know :c. Worse than my mom's pancreatitis, considering that a brain tumor is well... yeah.

Oh, she must have a surgery to cut down on it every 10 years.  Apparently, the tissue the doctors need to cut into can't take any more surgeries, so they need to use radiation now.  They can't completely cut it out since it's attached to the wall of her carotid artery, and it's pushing on the part of her brain that controls her sight.  She's already legally blind in one eye~

Posted May 22, '10 at 1:35pm

thoadthetoad

thoadthetoad

5,439 posts

It's odd how you seem so... calm about it?

Posted May 22, '10 at 3:04pm

thepossum

thepossum

2,289 posts

It's odd how you seem so... calm about it?

Well it's not like we can see his face and hear his tone of voice when he says this... 90% of communication is body language.

Reply to The Way of Moderation has ended (page 566)

You must be logged in to post a reply!