Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Multilingual America: Is it necessary?

Thread Locked

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 5:00pm

nick_coolhaha

nick_coolhaha

1,333 posts

I agree with Carlie, because there is really no down side to being able to speak more then one language. It only brings benefits towards your way. I know two languages and it helps me understand two types of people, and I just think that's cool.

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 5:18pm

dirkpitt1

dirkpitt1

1,202 posts

the people who know other languages tend to get more promotions and more money than those who dont.

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 5:22pm

Itachi2641747

Itachi2641747

274 posts

But we need a primary language! I know Spanish(some) and it is good to know, but we need a language that everyone speaks! We can't graduate people that don't speak our language, because they won't be prepared to live in our society. It is absurd to have a country that is officialy "biligual"! We need linguistic order, or we won't fuction right, and our country will essentialy commit suicide. If you have somthing to say against me, speak up!! I just can believe that two languages will help our country. I like speaking Spanish, but we NEED a single official language. I am open to debate, so SPEAK UP!

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 6:22pm

SnowballFighter

SnowballFighter

140 posts

I don't think that other languages should be forced upon Americans. I do think that colleges should have the right to favor people who are multilingual, but it shouldn't be REQUIRED by the government. As un-patriotic as I am, this country IS an English speaking country. People who come to live here should have to learn OUR language if they want anybody English speaking to talk to them.

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 6:23pm

SnowballFighter

SnowballFighter

140 posts

But that's not to say that I don't support the study of other languages. I just think that it shouldn't be a requirement.

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 6:28pm

Itachi2641747

Itachi2641747

274 posts

I didn't have language forced on me, but I like it. I still think we need English as a primary language.

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 7:35pm

Armed_Blade

Armed_Blade

1,563 posts

Billingual-ness has been taught for centurys, helps with the mind, commmunications, and being billingual can make you better approved for a job than another.

Think, you wanna be a ... Paramedic, those dudes on the rescue helicopters who help those people attacked somewhere out here or there. Now, what if this person really SUCKS at english? As a paramedic, you could speak to them in... Spanish, help 'em. It works with being a doctor, nurse, all kinda things. Scientists being able to communicate betterer, I dunno.

Therefor, with all the diversity in the world, it helps all ways.

YET, English is mainly the worlds main language, still, others are still used, good to know them.

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 7:37pm

daswiftarrow

daswiftarrow

930 posts

i think we should just atlest try to keep english (not saying people cant speak a little bit of other languages) but they took it too far, for example: in school i signed up for teach, well half the year im getting taught spanish

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 7:38pm

daswiftarrow

daswiftarrow

930 posts

ya, i read that by 2012 spanish will bee dominate language in america, english will only be at about 40%

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 7:43pm

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,071 posts

Knight

I beleive that language classes should not be required for kids to take in gradeschool or highschool (unless you are going to collage) but instead be "Strongly Encouraged" because of a long list of chained events that will take too long to type.