Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Multilingual America: Is it necessary?

Thread Locked

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 7:47pm

Armed_Blade

Armed_Blade

1,564 posts

Lol, Dasw, you read completely wrong. Many people knowing spanish speak English, English is kinda in the 90%'s of "Knowing" in America, and somewhere in the 75's of "Using"

Anyway, Languages in Elementary.. bad. Highschool in mine, we need 2 years of any language. I say thats enuff, nothing tooo much, but not too less. I say, if I did do the requierment, I may even forget. So, If you REALLY want to, go ahead become a new-found spanish speaker.

Posted Mar 24, '08 at 9:18pm

Megamickel

Megamickel

946 posts

Eh, but high school kids don't actually learn the language, it's all regurgitative memory. Well, I do, but I can learn in any class. Mind like a very selective steel trap xD

Posted Mar 25, '08 at 10:05am

Asherlee

Asherlee

5,346 posts

Knight

I just cannot agree or see the point of everyone who disagrees with learning a second language. As Carlie said there isn't a downside I can even think of. It does make for brighter children, thus boasting our future economy; those that are bilingual in the working world are always going to move ahead further and faster; the world will never speak one language, so why stick to one? It's important to learn other cultures.

Posted Mar 25, '08 at 7:17pm

Megamickel

Megamickel

946 posts

We need to teach our children the official language of America (And yes, it is English. This was voted on by the founding fathers, and English beat out German by, like, 1 or 2 votes. I can't remember, been a long time. I dunno, the story went something like that... I'd look it up but I positively cannot be arsed). But teaching them other languages DOES have benefits

I guess what I'm trying to say is while a second language would be an addition to the curriculum, it shouldn't infringe on the learning of English.

Posted Mar 25, '08 at 7:21pm

Asherlee

Asherlee

5,346 posts

Knight

How would it infringe on the learning of English? It is proven that learning a second language helps a child learn both of those languages better than an average child that just learns English.