ForumsThe TavernRandom Facts

142 26433
snazzy777
snazzy777
739 posts
Nomad

If you have 3 quarters, 4 dimes, and 4 pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.

The numbers '172' can be found on the back of the U.S. $5 dollar bill in the bushes at the base of the Lincoln Memorial.

President Kennedy was the fastest random speaker in the world with upwards of 350 words per minute.

In the average lifetime, a person will walk the equivalent of 5 times around the equator.

Odontophobia is the fear of teeth.

The 57 on Heinz ketchup bottles represents the number of varieties of pickles the company once had.

In the early days of the telephone, operators would pick up a call and use the phrase, "Well, are you there?". It wasn't until 1895 that someone suggested answering the phone with the phrase "number please?"

The surface area of an average-sized brick is 79 cm squared.

According to suicide statistics, Monday is the favored day for self-destruction.

Cats sleep 16 to 18 hours per day.

The most common name in the world is Mohammed.

It is believed that Shakespeare was 46 around the time that the King James Version of the Bible was written. In Psalms 46, the 46th word from the first word is shake and the 46th word from the last word is spear.

Karoke means "empty orchestra" in Japanese.

The Eisenhower interstate system requires that one mile in every five must be straight. These straight sections are usable as airstrips in times of war or other emergencies.

The first known contraceptive was crocodile dung, used by Egyptians in 2000 B.C.

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~bingbin/

• 142 Replies
Snakebite
Snakebite
996 posts
Nomad

Alaska grows more potatoes than Idaho. California grows more peaches than Georgia. And Texas grows more oranges than Florida.

arkaninerenegade
arkaninerenegade
785 posts
Nomad

there is a lot of good facts at nicefacts.com

Fact #360:
A spider's silk is stronger than steel.

Fact #358:
President George W. Bush and Playboy founder Hugh Hefner are cousins!

Fact #830:
The Giant South African Earthworm can grow up to 22 feet long and 1 inch in thick.

Fact #252:
In the United States, deaf people have safer driving records than hearing people!

Fact #963:
Mushrooms are more closely related to humans and animals than to other plants!

Fact #1048:
Worms reportedly taste like bacon.

Fact #1161:
The first product that Sony came out with was the rice cooker.

Fact #381:
In ancient England a person could not have sex unless you had consent of the King.

theres alot more on that site

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

There is an average of 7 bug parts in every chocolate bar

arkaninerenegade
arkaninerenegade
785 posts
Nomad

There are 53 Lego bricks manufactured for each person in the world.

snazzy777
snazzy777
739 posts
Nomad

Here are some "scary" facts . . . .

If you sneeze too hard, you can fracture a rib. If you try to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die.

Nearly a third of all bottled drinking water purchased in the US is contaminated with bacteria.

Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over 1 million descendents.

You are more likely to be struck by lightning than to be eaten by a shark.

You are more likely to be infected by flesh-eating bacteria than you are to be struck by lightning.

If you urinate when swimming in a South American river, you may encounter the candiru. Drawn to warmth, this tiny fish is known to follow a stream of urine to its source, swim inside the body, and flare it's barbed fins. It will remain firmly embedded in the flesh until surgically removed.

When a pilot light in a gas barbecue fails to ignite the gas jets properly, it is easy for you to inhale gas accidentally while trying to light it by hand. If this has happened, when the match does light, sometimes a trail of flame will blaze from the jet onto your mouth, filling your lungs with fire. Oddly enough, you would suffocate before burning to death as the flame could consume the oxygen in every breath you would take.

The soft plastic headphones used on airplanes create a warm, moist environment in the ear canal that is ideal for breeding bacteria. Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.

On a plane, if the passenger in your seat on the incoming flight had serious gas, then you are sitting on a cushion full of disease-causing microbes.

Homely criminals get 50% longer jail sentences, on average, than good-looking criminals.

Four sunken nuclear submarines sit at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. One, a Russian sub resting in deep water off of Bermuda, holds 16 live nuclear warheads. Scientists and oceanographers are unsure what the impact of the escaping plutonium will have, but warn that corrosion could create the proper chemical environment for a massive nuclear chain reaction.

In 1994, electromagnetic interference (EMI) from a nearby cellular telephone captivated a power wheelchair at a scenic vista in Colorado, sending the passenger over a cliff.

If the government has no knowledge of aliens, then why does Title 14, section 1211 of the Code of Federal Regulations, implemented on July 16, 1969, make it illegal for U.S. citizens to have any contact with extraterrestrials or their vehicles?

More people working in advertising died on the job in 1996 than died while working in petroleum refining.

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Oldest serie a player:
Marco Ballotta 44 years 38 days (Last game: May 11, 2008, Lazio)

dagothur1300
dagothur1300
149 posts
Nomad

Babies are born without kneecaps
A blue whale's heart beats 9 times a minute
In Paris, it is illegal for aliens to land
In India, 3.6 billion movie tickets are bought every year.
If you lined up the population of China and walked the length of the line, you would be walking forever because of all the new births.
The world's largest iceburg is the size of Belgium
In Florida, it is illegal for a married woman to go parachuting on a Sunday
English farmers have to give pigs toys by law
A hippopotomus can open it's mouth up to 4 feet

yaf
yaf
49 posts
Nomad

the little plastic things on the end of shoe laces are called aglets..

dagothur1300
dagothur1300
149 posts
Nomad

The Eiffel tower has 2,000,000 rivets
It is impossible to lick your own elbow
42% of people urinate in the shower
The boab tree holds 56,000 gallons of water
The average penis is 3 times the length of the average thumb
10 new species of insects are discovered every day
Buckingham palace has 2,726 rooms in it
57% of statistics are made up on the spot
77% of poeple reading this have tried to lick their elbows
Most men are still checking their thumbs

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

That is not a fact. Some can. I can... (Though I haven't done it recently.) All depends on your tongue and arm length, plus dexterity.

Random fact: I am seriously considering locking this, because there's no actual discussion going on here, you just out random facts from random places and post them without thinking more about it. Don't even check to see if a "fact" has already been posted...

A favorite random fact of mine is "our feet have the same perspiration cells as our genitals", btw.
dagothur1300
dagothur1300
149 posts
Nomad

I only put that in so I could add this to it as well
77% of poeple reading this have tried to lick their elbows

I just noticed a spelling mistake as well. people not poeple
snazzy777
snazzy777
739 posts
Nomad

So what were you guys most shocked about in this thread? Which fact interested you the most?

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

I only put that in so I could add this to it as well
Then it isn't a random "fact". :P

Anyone got a good reason for why I shouldn't lock this?

Random facts that aren't copy/pasted:
Strop came up with the idea of posting an image after a thread was locked.
Last time a new mod was selected was December 16th, 2008.
Some people think the Tavern is made for threads about ANYTHING no matter how little thought or effort has been put into the idea for the thread, just as long as it doesn't go elsewhere in the forums. That is not true.
The majority of people who spam game comments appear to be serfs and squires who only gain AP through game comments and ratings. But only the majority. *shifty glare at certain users who may or may not ever read this*
snazzy777
snazzy777
739 posts
Nomad

Thanks fst6

sonam
sonam
840 posts
Nomad

The majority of people who spam game comments appear to be serfs and squires who only gain AP through game comments and ratings. But only the majority. *shifty glare at certain users who may or may not ever read this*

Good thing i read it.

and I think you should not lock this thread because we learn a lot of things about random things (from stupid ones to the smartest) which we may learn at school but easily forget. I learned things i never knew before like the mohammed was the most common name in the world. i thought it would be jack or michael. See what you learn
Showing 61-75 of 142