2,920 posts
Peasant

What was the war of 1812 all about?

• 15 Replies
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I thought it was Englands attempt to get her former colonies back under control. Did you know the most desicive battle took place 2 weeks after the war was officialy ended? It was in Lousianna

clipmaster3
clipmaster3
104 posts
Nomad

It was more of an issue over trading rights and impressment... and yes the major American victory at the Battle of New Orleans happened after the war was over. And yet General Andrew Jackson used it as a major part of his campaign for presidency. Sigh... that guy is probably the most popular awful president in all of American History. Why is he still on the twenty???

tennisman24
tennisman24
4,682 posts
Farmer

I studies this in History. Too bad I didn't pay attention. If you gave me some hints about it I can remember.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,804 posts
Peasant

I dont know much about it. I just guessedimated. I havnt studied it yet so sue me...

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I'll admit I'm far from an expert on the subject, but succinctly it went something like this:

America was aiding Napoleon. Britain, wanted that to stop and so implemented many sanctions and harrassed American ships. After a while America declared war on Britain. The result was a stalemate, neither side made any big gains/losses.

insertwittynamehere
insertwittynamehere
69 posts
Nomad

And yet General Andrew Jackson used it as a major part of his campaign for presidency. Sigh... that guy is probably the most popular awful president in all of American History.

I KNOW!!! My social studies teacher like... loved him, but I really didn't like that. He removed Native Americans from their land (The Trail of Tears) and I am pretty sure he was a racist. So yeah. I did NOT like him.
HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

The most annoying thing about the war of 1812 is how much Canadians brag about burning down the white house, winning the war & kicking America's ass, which is funny, because it wasn't the "White House" prior to that. I swear, the next time someone says that to me in person I'm going to punch them out; I'm so tired of hearing it.

Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

First of all, I don't think it's acceptable to judge historical figures in modern times. Jackson was formed by his time, with reference to racist beliefs, but many of the things he put into place are still unshakeable parts of the American tradition.

As for the War of 1812, you can point to many factors. The British impressment of American sailors was one factor, as mentioned. The refusal of British troops to withdraw from North American forts after the Revolutionary War was another. Their aid to Indians as Tecumseh was still another. The strain of the Napoleonic Wars with reference to trade could have provoked war with either France or Britain. In my opinion, the most important reason was the desire for more land; with the Westerners (the War Hawks) clamoring for Canada and the South wanting Spanish Florida (Spain was Britain's ally). This would also fit in with the fact that New England was least supportive of the war effort.

insertwittynamehere
insertwittynamehere
69 posts
Nomad

Jackson was formed by his time, with reference to racist beliefs, but many of the things he put into place are still unshakeable parts of the American tradition.

That doesn't make it any better! Just because he lived in that time doesn't mean he had to be that way. No one has to believe in anything anyone else believes.
Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

I didn't say that you had believe that. But when you look at history, one should look at what the time period was like. The conceptions of people change over time, sometimes they are wrong, but many times we cannot claim that. I don't think Jackson is particularly admirable, but he is enormously popular because of his enormous influence in the American political system today.

Just because he lived in that time doesn't mean he had to be that way.

That is, by recognition of most any historian, a very naive way to think. Perhaps something we deem right today will be wrong tomorrow. Someone will say we didn't need to do it that way, but in light of the social beliefs of the day, that's a very colored lens to look at history with.
clipmaster3
clipmaster3
104 posts
Nomad

I'm sorry for bringing up Jackson. Stop talking about him now.

Sorry to British but a war lasting one year is pretty sad

it ended on sort of a mutual agreement... you could also say "Sorry to Americans but a war lasting one year is pretty sad." But whatever.

Al fun fact: parts of New England were threatening secession if the war didn't end soon...

and serioiusly, why is this thread still active? there was no need for it ever to originate. Here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812

Nothing anyone else says can possibly be relevant now =P
caucasiafro
caucasiafro
338 posts
Nomad

Sorry to British but a war lasting one year is pretty sad

(if your not being sarcastic)

1 It lasted more then 1 year 1812-1814 (or '15 I cant remember)
2. They beat us, they beat the shit out of us they burned down your capital, the president had to flee and personally control troops.

Anyway it was fought because the British empire imposed trade restriction on the US because we were trading with France and they were at war with them (Napoleonic wars).
Now, at the time Britain was a major trading partner and many people wanted to negotiate, some people wanted stop trade with France, but for some reason we went to war.
But we werent on the side of the French, we didnt ad them with troops when they asked because our treaty/pact was with the monarchy and that wasnt around anymore.
I think because we didnt have French aid is why we lost the war.

So...much...typingâ¦

Ok, I hope thats the right info. US not aiding France might have been when Washington was president (not sure), because Franks/Brits were are war and we stayed neutral so the treaty/pact things with France might have been then but I donât know where the Revolution was (1804?).

I hope everything is clear and spelled right.
caucasiafro
caucasiafro
338 posts
Nomad

Sorry for double post

The most annoying thing about the war of 1812 is how much Canadians brag about burning down the white house, winning the war & kicking America's ***, which is funny, because it wasn't the "White House" prior to that. I swear, the next time someone says that to me in person I'm going to punch them out; I'm so tired of hearing it.

Um, the "White House" was finished around 1800, i think like 1 year after Washington died.
So it was like 14 years old at the time it was burned.
Deth666
Deth666
653 posts
Nomad

Impressment of American's into the British navy

The harassment of American ships

Their refusal to remove British troops from forts in America

The 3 main reasons why the US went to war with Britain. The British were still raw over the Revolutionary war and basically just wanted to flex their muscles and so did we. There were no real decisive battles except for the Battle of New Orleans and maybe the Battles of Lake Erie and Lake Champlain.

Showing 1-14 of 15