ForumsWEPRCalling All Christians

1333 186853
snazzy777
snazzy777
739 posts
Nomad

Since I have joined Armorgams . . .I see a lot of Atheists and their threads about why people believe in God etc . . . I wanted to start a thread about the bible and christianity.

The purpose of this thread is to debate a different book of the bible each week. We will discuss lessons, morals, and different stories.

We will have friendly debates. Please . . . if you are atheist or of other beliefs . . . you may discuss in this thread, just PLEASE no fighting, flaming, spamming, trolling . . . etc

This week we will begin from the beginning . . . .Genesis

• 1,333 Replies
HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

I'm absolutely aware that it was his stepsister.. and it doesn't make it better =P

I know it is messed up in today's standards but not back then.

Wouldn't that make the book.. out of date or irrelevant to modern times?
snazzy777
snazzy777
739 posts
Nomad

Wouldn't that make the book.. out of date or irrelevant to modern times?

You still have to remember that was the old testament. We shouldn't live by those principles anymore. For example . . .the slaughtering of animals for sacrifice . . . .it doesn't apply anymore. The new testament is what we must live by.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

He did not have any form of manic depressive schizophrenia.

You don't know that. Back when the Bible was written, people said 'bless you' to people who sneezed because they thought sneezing was an omen of death. Back then, all diseases were demons to be exorcised. They didn't know what schizophrenia is - and since you have NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER to back up your claim, no-one with a good head on their shoulders would give credence to your claim.

You're citing no sources, and claiming things about Biblical sources when the information you're giving to 'counter' our arguments isn't even in the Bible. Unless you blast us with links, you don't have a leg to stand on.

And about the bush. . .there is a type of bread mold that produces a hallucinogenic chemical called LSA - it's quite possible Moses was trippin' on bread mold when he stumbled upon this 'burning bush.'
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Genesis was in the Old Testament, snazzy. . . .

quakingphear
quakingphear
410 posts
Peasant

I don't think all of the Old Testament is irrelevant. There's still a lot of hidden wisdom there. Just need to go looking for it. Like in a lot of wars commanders have gotten succesful strategies from biblical battles, and there are stories that set good examples on how to behave. Some of it though, like not to wear clothes made of different blends, yeah thats a bit outdated.

HiddenDistance
HiddenDistance
1,310 posts
Peasant

it doesn't apply anymore.

There are several passages (ex. Matthew 5:18-19) in the new testament that re-affirm the old testament as biblical law, and in essence, the new testament is meant to *add* to the old testament, not replace it.

The new testament is what we must live by.

It's almost 2 millenia old. As a result.. it is quite dated as well.
snazzy777
snazzy777
739 posts
Nomad

By the way thisnotanalt . . . everything I have been saying has come from the bible. You want links? Look up the Gap theory on google. That will explain the millions of years span between God's days. Everything else at the moment . . . look it up in the Bible.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I'm not going to do your research for you - and also, where in the Bible does it say Moses does not have manic depressive schizophrenia?

Where in the Bible does it say not to care about the Old Testament?

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

And also. . .your reply doesn't argue any of my points in the slightest - we're debating, so debate. OR else I'll assume you've conceded.

snazzy777
snazzy777
739 posts
Nomad

Genesis was in the Old Testament, snazzy. . . .

I understand fully that the Genesis is in the Old testament.

There's still a lot of hidden wisdom there

You are absolutely correct

It's almost 2 millenia old. As a result.. it is quite dated as well.

It maybe "dated" but it hasn't faded has it? If it has been around this long, don't you think it will be around for another 2 millenia?
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I understand fully that the Genesis is in the Old testament.

Then why do you contradict yourself and follow it?

It maybe "dated" but it hasn't faded has it? If it has been around this long, don't you think it will be around for another 2 millenia?

The Old Testament will be too. They're both printed as one book.
snazzy777
snazzy777
739 posts
Nomad

Where in the Bible does it say not to care about the Old Testament?

Don't put words in my mouth. I said we should not follow its principles.

Then why do you contradict yourself and follow it?

What do you mean? I haven't said that Genesis was in the New testament.

The Old Testament will be too. They're both printed as one book.

When I said "it" I was referring to the whole Bible.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

What do you mean? I haven't said that Genesis was in the New testament.

Right. . .but you said not to follow the Old Testament, and Genesis is in the New Testament, and you believe Genesis. So, you've contradicted yourself grandly.

Don't put words in my mouth.

It isn't putting words in your mouth if I'm just mentioning something you said in this thread previously.

I said we should not follow its principles.

. . .so we should not follow what it teaches (the morals, ie the stuff that actually matters, the point to the stories) but we should believe all the crazy stories like Adam & Eve? Makes no sense.

When I said "it" I was referring to the whole Bible.

Reread the last two pages. PLEASE. You might get why I said that >.>
snazzy777
snazzy777
739 posts
Nomad

Genesis is in the New Testament, and you believe Genesis.

Genesis is in the Old Testament . . . You thought I said it was in the New Testament. So you are mistaken my friend.

so we should not follow what it teaches (the morals, ie the stuff that actually matters, the point to the stories) but we should believe all the crazy stories like Adam & Eve? Makes no sense.

I never said that you shouldn't follow the morals etc. . . I said the principles such as slaughtering of animals and rituals like that.
Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

Genesis is in the Old Testament . . . You thought I said it was in the New Testament. So you are mistaken my friend.

You're confused, buddy. You said that the Old Testament should be disregarded and that Christians should follow the teachings and stories of Jesus and his Disciples in the New Testament.

Alt was asking you why you believe in the story of Genesis, which is a book of the Old Testament, when you have previously said that it should be tossed to the side.
Showing 31-45 of 1333