ForumsWEPRthe impact of rap on kids and teeagers

27 7205
daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

ok well i like to make it obvious that i am a "metalhead" (listens to alot of heavy metal) but the thing is rap seems to have "taken over", and everywhere i go i hear someone blasting it, either in their car or walking by someone and hear their ipod. Now i dont hate rap, it is a genre of music people like, and it is their choice to liten to it, but i dont like the message, most of the songs are about either violence, drugs, or prostitution. I know some rap is good and actuly can have a good message to it, but the ones i'm talking about is the new mainstream rap, for example: soulja boy, snoop dog, and lil wayne. i know heavy metal may not be the most christian loving genre of metal, but not all of it satanic (same thing as rap, parts actuly have a good message), i ecspecially get the heavy metal is evil reaction around where i live. Why is it that the less important rap is more famous while the bands trying to send a message are left out? i belive that the newer rap is helping cause more of the teenage, young adult, gang violence, due to the violent lyrics. what are people thoughts on this?

• 27 Replies
daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

sorry about that, forgot to put n on teenagers

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

Rap does have a lot of bad messages in it. I don't listen to it but a lot of people i know do. This one kid in particular listens to it and is quite violent maybe there's a link? Maybe music can effect your feelings in some way.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,204 posts
Farmer

I have never cared for rap, well, the type you're talking about, I too get the feeling that rap has taken over, but at least there are some of us 'metalheads' out here.

Anywayz yes, it's helping, but you can't blame rap entirely, even though it is annoying and pointless. A lot of gang violence and such is caused by media entirely. Movies, games, music, and even art/pictures, advertising beer in magazines or people tagging the school to increase hate/love towards the gang. While this 'new' rap in my opinion is an absurd media and literally needs to be delt with probably, you can't blame it alone, but it's a chunk of the lint ball...
-i am aware that the metaphor/similie I used above was really dumb but you get the idea o.O

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,197 posts
Herald

Well, sure it contains a lot of bad messages, but it's pretty much just music, and it's hard to actually affect somebody's being just from some lyrics. I think it's very improbable that just because a song mentions a part about a gun, a teen isn't going to go shoot somebody, well unless they're crazy in the head. If you want to know something that does affect peoples lives, it would be violent TV because my frined watches a lot of UFC and just the other day he got suspended for elbowing a kid that was messing with him. That just seems pretty carzy, because afterward he said that he did not know what went over him and caused him to do that.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,204 posts
Farmer

um, many people would do that, you don't have to be crazy, you just have to be put to the corner like that. If you hear some song telling you that a guy solves all his problems by bloodshed, and you happen to have bad problems like that too, you're going to think about it, now the song isn't to blame, the kid and his/her descisions are, but the song did give them that course of action, unfortuantly. The same with TV, as I stated in my above post, it's not just that, it's everything media, and actually, I am wrong, it's peers too, the worst influence of all.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

Eh. Here's several types of music categorized by its worst characteristic:
Rap - I'm bustin out caps on da cops, been to prison breakin da rocks - you see where it's going.
Metal - What the hell did he just say? Macaroni leopard? I can't understand a damn thing.
Pop - sex sex sex bang bang sex sex sexy sex
Rock - Super Electric Xylophone (Innuendos)
Country - I lost my dog, my house, my wife...
Punk - I don't like anything, everything sucks except for skating and music
Rave/Trance/Club - Sure, it's good... but it's AMAZING when you're on acid.
Classical - *False British accent* This is Franklin Saggybottom, your guide through the world of classical music. Oh, I do hope you enjoy this next selection. It's one of my personal favorites.
Jazz - It's fun, if you get it. If you don't, you never will and you'll always hate it.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

Rap causes violence? I'd be more inclined to believe that violence (gang related or otherwise) influences rap. I mean, weren't gangs around before rap? Rap evolved from music that was trying to express the sentiments of a drug and gang dominated urban culture; Rap didn't cause it. If some crazy, violent kid listens to rap, it's because he/she chooses music that they best identify with... Although if you are a docile, friendly soul that loves death metal, then maybe you're hiding a scary, scary demon child inside you ... (woooOOOOoOOOOooO!)

DecadentDragon
DecadentDragon
242 posts
Nomad

Every generation is convinced that the next is going down the tubes.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

The media just likes to blame the violence of kids in every generation on something. Could be rap, videogames, comic books, motion picture films, etc.. When maybe we should start to just blame the kids that are naturally violent/unstable. Just because 5 kids might listen to rap in a group, that does not mean all 5 will go on a drive-by shooting. Only the ones that can not tell the difference between story-making and real life.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

Media works in a similar way as brainwashing propaganda. Repetitive messages that causes the mind to be filled with thoughts that will eventually come to the conclusion that the message is right. The message might lie within memory for a while, but it will continue to shape the listener's behavior.

In this case, violence/dirty stuff in the media is one of the things the listener would be learning from once he/she starts to like and agree with it.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

Yep. Violence makes the music, but the music also suggests violence as well.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Well, of course it suggests it. What entertainment media these days does not?

Comic books were once targeted for the same reasons. And now they are just another part of life as we know it. People like to find scapegoats for the problems of society.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

"Yep. Violence makes the music, but the music also suggests violence as well."

That was just the surface of the point I stated earlier. Media takes a huge part in the shaping of a person's behavior.

Hippyonfire
Hippyonfire
34 posts
Nomad

who cares life goes on ok

GreatestSoloEver
GreatestSoloEver
1,361 posts
Nomad

Rap influences not just teens but kids. 5 year olds dont need to listen to trash. I say kids need more Guns N Roses.

Showing 1-15 of 27