ForumsWEPREarth Hour!

34 8367
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

[img]http://www.actnow.com.au/files/2210/earthhourlogo300x293.jpg[img]

Hi All,
Have you heard of Earth Hour? It started in Sydney last year and has gone global this year.

The basic idea of it is to turn off your lights for one hour on the 29th March 2008 from 8pm till 9pm.

For more info go to
[url]http://www4.earthhourus.org/[/url]

• 34 Replies
DaMasta333
DaMasta333
361 posts
Nomad

by the way, kingryan, if you were burning candles, weren't you making greenhouse gases anyway?

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Err, Gore does follow it, he's not as Liberal as people make him look, and the fact is he PAYS carbon cash. No one else does. He's not saying use candles and stop electronics for ever. He's saying push money into conserving and studying other ways to survive. You can't run a company on Air power right now, you just can't.

DaMasta333
DaMasta333
361 posts
Nomad

And I shouldn't be on this computer right now (it's 8:15 in L. A.).

Look, i'm just saying that with China and India developing like crazy, 1 hour turning out the lights won't effect the ozone layer that much.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

We know it won't, but it might put some activating pressure on the thought to conserve and help the enviorment.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

Well, I skipped your "Earth hour". Because like I said - I'm not turning off my computer.

DaMasta333
DaMasta333
361 posts
Nomad

Da Masta doesn't even care... yeah God told us to be good stewards of the earth, but He also said for us to have dominion over it.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Meh, I think we work more on having dominion over others than the earth itself.

madgamer012
madgamer012
741 posts
Nomad

Well Earth Hour Is almost over now and this topic should be locked by a mod now.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

It'll die on its own, or another discussion will fly up, or it'll die. Mods don't have to lock everything, and aren't always on to do so. So announcing it wun do much :P

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

Ya Armed Blade is right. We can still talk about the aspect of doing this even though it is already over.

madgamer012
madgamer012
741 posts
Nomad

ya i guess you guys are right about that, we can still discuss about it. Even though it is over now.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

To what someone asked earlier -
'Doesn't buring candles release greenhouse gases as well?'

I think that burning one or two candles would release hardly as much greenhouse gases then having lights on...
I think that the main point of Earth Hour was to make people realise that there are ways that they can help reduce Greenhouse gases.

Earth Hour shouldn't just be one hour. Everyone needs to take the initiative and turn of lights in empty rooms, switch off appliances at the wall if you're not using them...etc...

What can you do?

Cremlin
Cremlin
9 posts
Nomad

I spent Earth Hour this year with all my light off, eating dinner by candle light.

To the third poster, Skipper, I believe: Being a vegetarian does not make the world any less polluted... lolz?

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

The processing and production of meat does, if fact, emit a lot of greenhouse gases and pollution into the atmosphere.
Cow flatulence is becoming quite noticeable worldwide (I'm being totally serious) and meat processing and packing plants typically generate a lot of waste.

deafjapanesegirl951
deafjapanesegirl951
4 posts
Nomad

You know, Al Gore's film "An Inconvenient truth" Is all based on models. We cannot prove that the polar icecaps would indeed cover the surface of earth. I find it hard to belief that people would automatically accept what was being told to them without finding at least a couple more sources.

Showing 16-30 of 34