ForumsWEPRMaking knowledgeable statements involves "READING"

42 10450
Crunk88
Crunk88
123 posts
Nomad

I find myself reading through the topics, and finding so many people with illogical points of view. I am very disappointed with people who dont do research and instead come to fictional or down right stupid conclusion. My suggestion would be to read a book or article before making an embarrassing statement that shows people of your degrading knowledge. I just want to know how many others are pissed off at people who can barely spell, not even going to the point of making a good statement.

• 42 Replies
Crunk88
Crunk88
123 posts
Nomad

Exactly my point! DaMasta understands what im gettn at. Its annoying when someone is trying to contradict your beliefs with completely false information. And there only making there conclusion through there personal opinions and not on scientific fact. Its like a stubborn child who wants to believe in Santa clause or the Easter rabbit.

p.s. Wiki is one of my favorite websites for school papers, it is the online encyclopedia.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

Oh Jeebus. Jeebus I say. This is a forum for a gaming site. You can't expect everyone to write like an English major, so you'll just have to be reasonable and skip the nonsense threads. Also Strop, are you serious? There's no need to write with so much pomposity. If anything, write to the audience (which is young gamers...) don't write above it. And contradicting someone's "beliefs" is not wrong, but contradicting facts is (assuming you have them). P.S. Wiki rules.

DaMasta333
DaMasta333
359 posts
Nomad

Also, i see too many people repeating topics that have already been posted about, and it isn't dthat hard to look to see if the topic has been discussed already.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

Now THAT is something everyone can agree with. If only there was some sort of process to filter out repeat topics. Although, sometimes threads can get WAAAY off topic. Maybe there should be an archive of old threads (those not visited for some long period of time) so that old topics can be restarted without overlapping other active ones... and maybe there is and I just don't know it

DaMasta333
DaMasta333
359 posts
Nomad

I don't think an archive exists... but you should talk to the mods about that.

deafjapanesegirl951
deafjapanesegirl951
4 posts
Nomad

"Kids these days mostley teeneagers in the US dont read"

Is it wrong to laugh at the previous sentence?
Hmm. I smell Iron-y.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

I don't get that either, and even if you tell them it's a double topic, they ignore you and go on making repeats, anyways, I think maybe the problem is that there is a mix of different people, as in age and comprehension leve, there are people who have already gone through college here, there are people in or starting college, or, like me, people in High School or have graduated from it already. And you can't deny the fact that some people are denying their age just to get on this site, I have seen a lot of people who are below High School level. Reading isn't exactly easy to a lot of people say if someone like Asherlee, Eshploded, Moegreche, or Carlie(just examples, trust me, I'm not saying they're the only smart people on this site!), writing to someone barely entering High School level, there are a lot of different levels in vocabulary(like i myself DON'T know what volubility means), so either it IS spam, or they completely have the wrong idea of what this (e.g.)'volubility' is.

does this make sense? cause it don't to me(jk)

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Garifu: I know I write "like an english major", but you'll have to take my word for it- I'm not putting it on.

I appreciate that one ought to write to the audience. However, sometimes my audience isn't necessarily the kid just entering high school, i.e. I'm not always talking to the majority of the forum- if I wanted to engage them on what they are saying I would do that, but you should note that I wasn't the one complaining about people's lack of "literacy".

Everybody's different. Quite often I'm "fishing" for other people with similar educational backgrounds. The nature of this community doesn't preclude certain profiles from being a part (ironic that I'm saying this, because I too was surprised). More importantly, though, most people don't come to a forum to exchange ideas- read the posts: they often consist of shouting then refusing to entertain any further discussion. Or simply shouting the same thing over and over again.

That is to say, as I already pointed out, popular forums don't generally run the way forums purport to do. Thus I've decided that to treat it as the "free-marketplace for idea exchange" it set out to be, I choose to do this in my own manner.

Those who are interested enough can always keep dictionary.com at their sides. Otherwise you can lead a horse to the water, but you can't force the horse to drink.

...on the flip side I know I don't write very accessibly. Sometimes I put an effort in to simplify (on pain of lost information!) but the occasional dowzer of a word slips in. You'll have to forgive my educational background.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Oh crap, I rambled on for so long I forgot to write what I originally planned to do:

TL;DR means "Too long; didn't read". Politely, it means 'I didn't have the time/energy read the rest of the thread.'

More often people use it in a way that makes them look rude. It is, of course a matter of personal taste, but in the spirit of the original post, I find it objectionable when people say TL;DR then behave in a way only justified if they had actually read the response.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

Ok, you make a good point Strop; in order to reach the readers most likely to respond with competent points of view, you have to talk "above" the crowd. But you can still do that without embellishing, which is what I was really getting at. I mean, whether or not one can understand what you write, it comes off as an attempt to show off rather than a call to discussion (also ironic, as it has sparked this discussion). In a "free market exchange", wouldn't you want accessibility over elitism?

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,269 posts
Jester

0_0.....whoa hold on there I posted in the wrong fourm people GOD!!! I was confused jeez!

I ment to say that I agree... (and have proven that all crunk said was true :S) yes people don't read and like that post about the poptarts and "stuff"....

Carter
Carter
107 posts
Nomad

I'm going to talk about some of the major issues here

1.Crunk, you're an idiot. just because someone doesn't look at at a piece of paper or look at a screen something doesn't mean they can't learn something. Have you ever heard about something called hearing? If a teacher/professor is in a classroom and he's talking about DNA, and lets say that you have know idea what DNA is. Now he begins by saying that DNA is basically you're genetic code. Now say that you had you're eyes shut, but still heard everything he said. OMG! you just learned something! and you didn't use you're eyes! instead of having the attention span of a gold fish, not wanting to wait and have to listen to something, and instead just reads it, you actually listened! Sight is only one of the five senses, you can learn things using the other 4 senses retard.

2.Why should i waste my time researching everything i talk about? i know what my morals are and i know what i believe in. I don't need some crappy statistics and facts to tell me that.

3. Who cares if you use good vocabulary? If you're general point is seen, who cares about you're word choice? And to judge people saying that there dumb and stupid just because they can't use big words or spell good is just ridiculous. If you see a kid in a wheelchair and his whole body is parallelized, he can't talk,speak,write, or even move. But you don't know whats going on in his head, he could be some genius but just couldn't show it.

4. talking down to us kids/teenagers. Just because we're young doesn't mean we're not smart, and to think so is just incompetent. I'm 13 years old but even i can see the flaws in you're logic.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,827 posts
Duke

I think the two facts to which Crunk was referring were:

1) People don't really read a thread in its entirety before posting, resulting in random posts that don't follow the conversation or debate

2) Research is not just about statistics. I have had people debate with me over subjects like evolution and try to use arguments that they clearly don't understand and therefore the arguments don't work. Not only does the person posting look silly, but it reduces what might be a decent argument to something laughable. I've also seen people post statements or "facts" that just aren't true and it can sometimes be frustrating having to hold someone's hand who is disagreeing with you for no viable reason.

Other than that, I think you're right. There are plenty of intelligent people here despite their age, and just because they haven't learned something yet doesn't mean they can't pick it up quickly.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

I agree with Moegreche that age should not hinder one's right to be taken seriously and is not a measure of intelligence. And I agree on the other points.

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,269 posts
Jester

Ya I agree with carter and you Crunk88 on some bases. I man I make one mistake you take the the time to type a whole pharigraph about it! Jeez man Im sorry if Im (us/teenagers) arent smart/enoughf or like you.

Showing 16-30 of 42