ForumsProgramming ForumHow do I make games??

17 7624
fancypantslover
fancypantslover
4 posts
Nomad

Can anyone teach me how to make games?

• 17 Replies
gwoodruler
gwoodruler
106 posts
Nomad

lol its not that easy. To make a game you first need to be pretty good at code. This is EXTREMELY difficult. i would know becasue im trying to learn. Then you would need to buy a adobe flash or similar program for upwards of 100 dollars. Then you need to devote a couple months of your life to writing lines of code. So its not really that easy.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

or....if you want to make simple games...ones that aren't good enough for the site but you want the satifaction of knowing you have made a game...try game maker!! (it is actually a program...google it!)

PantySeeker
PantySeeker
26 posts
Nomad

There is also a program called Game Maker(this is just a 2D) you can create short versions of games like pac man star fighthers and so so on.

dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

Not a fan of gamemaker. But I didn't use it until long after I learned Flash. I just prefer to code rather than drag and drop. It's not the tools you use that counts, it's if the tools you use are capable of making what you desire.

WHOISDAT
WHOISDAT
15 posts
Nomad

you should know some coding, i know none, but i am pretty sure you can find a lot of tutorials on youtube. you also need the money for flash and AS

lonewolf537
lonewolf537
145 posts
Nomad

try gamemaker if you want free. it can make good 3d games but to do that you have to buy the full version of it for $20. im still using that.

PBMCube
PBMCube
29 posts
Nomad

Yes, I can. I see from these posts that there are plenty of folk who start recommending products. Your Question is about learning.... I how you like to read... and I'm available for personal tutoring since I teach at ITT-Technical Institute's Game Design curriculum.

I recommend starting with this list to learn how to create games:
1) Game producers.net
2) Flashkit
3) Game mechanics

SeoMX
SeoMX
89 posts
Nomad

I've also seen some Excellent Paid tutorials.
its cartoon smart.com but
Flashkit are really good free tutorials.

dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

I don't like the cartoon smart tutorials. The guy likes to go way off topic and he doesn't do a good job of staying on focus. They look great, but you don't get much other than exactly what he made.

PBMCube
PBMCube
29 posts
Nomad

short responce on cartoonsmart.com by SeoMX |||
yes, I've tried their paid tutorials. He's a wonderful on art and you will tons of new Flash Tricks; he's brilliant. However, he is NOT a programmer and he's methods will NOT help solve/resolve 2.5D tiling layouts.
In short, pay the extremely inexpense tuitions to learn graphic art in Flash.

SeoMX
SeoMX
89 posts
Nomad

Anyone knows some good actionscript tutorials?

The_B_Man
The_B_Man
75 posts
Nomad

I will try this "gamemaker"seeing as i have never even thought of making a game before...so its just drag and drop eh.....?

nqkoi1
nqkoi1
382 posts
Nomad

The B Man gamemaker will teach you nothing get a trial version of flash at www.adobe.com

dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

Gamemaker may not be the most powerful tool out there, but it is great for beginners because it hardly takes any thinking to make what you want. This is great because it puts more thinking in to the design process which many do get a good fealing for when jumping straight in to Flash.

nqkoi1
nqkoi1
382 posts
Nomad

Yes but when you drag and drop tiles for one year how does that prepare you for flash?Plus GameMaker games are allowed on a small amount of sites.

Showing 1-15 of 17