ForumsGamesGeneral Colony Discussion

6563 1004227
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

So, since my last competition was pretty much a discussion, I'll now close that and move over to this general colony discussion (the others are all specific)

TALK ABOUT ANYTHING RELATED TO COLONY (and beef burgers)

• 6,563 Replies
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

That goes for offense and defense.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

But they are good against romans, tanks.

Scouts aren't really a good defense vs a mass roman army, they just don't take them down quick enough.

Well, let's have a debate.
Are groditz/phantoms worth how much resources it takes to make them?

As far as a production standpoint, phantoms build slowy allowing it to be much easier to keep up with money, Groeditz really were made way underpowered, they get owned by splash and cost alot. Also, Snipers are comparable in cost and I find them much more useful.

Now I'm gonna say something about the Moded Sakata, because I thought that was what dudeguy meant earlier, anyway it can take on a base by itself, with good micro it can easily hit and run, but it does lack AA, but just cover it with MK IIs.

They best influence special (to me) is scramble (10 meds), it takes a long time to make meds normally, so when you can just send out 10 in one second it is really useful.
Jerryrpg
Jerryrpg
384 posts
Nomad

They are one of the strongest. Hover Tanks + Sakata Mk II + Blackqueen + Medics = the unstoppable combo. Why? because sakata mk II counter every air unit your opponent throws at you. Hover tanks are decent against infantry and even more effective against chronite armored. Blackqueen stops sniper build up. Medics heal your hover tanks and sakatas so fast, that if your opponent nukes, they heal their life back before the second nuke is launched.

dudeguy45
dudeguy45
2,920 posts
Peasant

I'm always afraid my meditecs will get killed.

Am I the only one who's special ops meditecs don't heal?

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

Medics heal your hover tanks and sakatas so fast, that if your opponent nukes, they heal their life back before the second nuke is launched.

Which shows why scramble is so good.
Jerryrpg
Jerryrpg
384 posts
Nomad

Am I the only one who's special ops meditecs don't heal?

I dunno...

I agree with bronze. I love the 10 medic boost in 1 second. It really helps setup a defence really fast.
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

I'm always afraid my meditecs will get killed.

Well you shouldn't worry to much, let me tell you why: seperate them from your hovers, send your hovers, then manually control your medics for the rest of the way, they can stay a good deal back and still heal.
Jerryrpg
Jerryrpg
384 posts
Nomad

Well you shouldn't worry to much, let me tell you why: seperate them from your hovers, send your hovers, then manually control your medics for the rest of the way, they can stay a good deal back and still heal.

That, is exactly what i do. Except i hold position when it reaches the base because if you don't they will advance towards the base after all units are healed.
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

Seperating them from your hovers is harder than it sounds.

Jerryrpg
Jerryrpg
384 posts
Nomad

Most of the time when easing on with a defence you don't have to rush, you won't build units simultaniously. So just turn off your rally point and hold position the hovers when you get enough of them. Then set the rally back on, and medic a bunch of medics.
Jerryrpg
Jerryrpg
384 posts
Nomad

Sorry for double post, meant to say build a bunch of medics.

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

Yeah, a unit select (which is in every RTS I know) is a major gameplay mechanic missing, but I try to get around that by making my hovers first, sending them out a little bit, and gives me enough room to select my med and tell it to fallback.

That, is exactly what i do. Except i hold position when it reaches the base because if you don't they will advance towards the base after all units are healed.

Well, that was basically what I meant but thankyou for going into further detail.

I have a question, is forming your units into a wall really a good thing to do, I do it because it looks nice and it makes controlling units easier, not really for wanting all of my units to fire all at once? I mainly ask because it make your units more vulnerable to splash.
Jerryrpg
Jerryrpg
384 posts
Nomad

If your opponent has a special ops or blackqueen or any other splash unit that deals major damage to the majority of your army, don't bunch them up. With the unstoppable defence i usually send 1 hover in front have about 10 more hovers with my meds. Sakatas in between my meds and hovers so i can micro with them to destroy any incoming air units.

Jerryrpg
Jerryrpg
384 posts
Nomad

Yeah, a unit select (which is in every RTS I know) is a major gameplay mechanic missing, but I try to get around that by making my hovers first, sending them out a little bit, and gives me enough room to select my med and tell it to fallback.

Well if you read the description of the game, Krin says this is a tribute to starcraft. Also an RTS game but it doesn't lack that unit selection mechanic. Double clicking your units makes you select all of that same unit on that screen. It has the drag select which is also in colony (but with a unit cap of 12, while colony has no cap).
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

Preferably separate them into 6/5 Jerry, in case their units attack.

Showing 121-135 of 6563