Why kill someone?

Why steal something?

Why?

• 23 Replies
ngfan14
ngfan14
875 posts
Shepherd

Why is this post so boring? What is this supposed to be about?

DecadentDragon
DecadentDragon
242 posts
Nomad

If nothing ever died this place would be really overcrowded.

DotKasper
DotKasper
45 posts
Nomad

Why would it be overcrowded?

Why do we "multiplie"? xD

jrvc92
jrvc92
14 posts
Nomad

in before religion argument

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

lol jrvc.

Dot, I think that many people think about the things you've listed, and experience along with it a certain sensation. I'm going to call this sensation "existential angst", and because I'm also in before religion argument, I suggest looking up Kierkegaard's thoughts on the matter.

Alternatively one could go all buddhist philosophy and seek the ways to just "be".

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

Haha 'why is this post so boring', good one ngfan. But to answer your question, it probably ends up in a religious discussion. If you have religion, that is why you don't kill someone. If you don't believe in a god, then... you really have no reason not to kill anyone. Scary thought.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

I don't know if I ascribe to the belief that everyone who doesn't believe in God thinks it is OK to kill someone (or that there is no reason not to). You know, morality is not owned solely by Christianity. Many other religions (and society in general) hold morals to a high standard, as do non-religious people.

Phluphyphill
Phluphyphill
25 posts
Nomad

Why do we have to poop?

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

Cuz otherwise we'd be filled with it!

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

Why something instead of nothing?

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

We're only able to ask that because there exists a something instead of nothing in the first place.

LIEK OMGZ.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

That's true, but that still doesn't answer the question of why something exists instead of nothing. All it does is give reason to the pondering of the mystery and prove that we do, in fact, exist.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

And that's my point!

What compels you to ask 'why'?

...actually formally speaking, self-referential arguments for existence don't prove anything because they beg the question. See Descartes' claim cogito ergo sum ("I think therefore I am&quot. But personally I think it's simpler to assume we 'exist' and go from there.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

Existentialism is a horrible concept in itself. It can both win and lose any arguement because it disproves everything you thought was true. However, there are certain truths that we must accept as fact, at least for the world we live in. The laws of physics are fact. We cannot change the way forces interact with each other. Rather, we can study these forces and learn how to direct them. However, this does not prove that our explanation was right, only that our method works. Take, for example, the theory of spontaneous generation. Flies were thought to spawn from rotting meat. However, it was proven that such was NOT the case in later experiments. However, the method worked - flies DID appear whever there was rotting meat. This is the basis behind doing any research at all, lest we remain ignorant. The correct explanation is important in that it allows us to apply the principles in multiple areas.

kogan
kogan
6 posts
Shepherd

To answer your questions:
Have you ever wondered Why?
Yes

What did you wonder Why?
Why do people value relationships, but value the freedom to have sex with whomever more?

Why are we alive?
Yeah, but I believe we are alive for the sheer enjoyment of God.

Why are we on this planet?
Because it has air, water, and other stuff we need to live.

Why do all have to die?
Cause life would get boring after awhile.

Why kill someone?
In the defense of yourself or your loved ones.

Why steal something?
Because you might be so poor and in real need of something, like food. Or for the other people, for the rush I guess.

Why?
Why ask why?

Showing 1-15 of 23