ForumsThe TavernWhich of These Songs Has the Most Powerful Message?

8 3352
Lieutenut
Lieutenut
1,251 posts
Nomad

These are a list of songs, that if you listen to them have very strong political messages or some other message along those lines. Here are the links of videos with the song and lyrics in the video so it's easy to see the words. They are pretty different genres, and hopefully along with the messages you'll like the sound too

Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden -

A song about the Native American Tragedy

We Didn't Start the Fire - Billy Joel -

A song about a lot of the big current events from 1949 to the 1980's (yes it's an old song which is why it only goes to the 80's.) You should know a lot of the events from history class, common knowledge, or experience. If you don't know ask me or look it up

Imagine - John Lennon -

A song about a lot of things wrong with the world, but hope that they can be fixed with people working together.

Finally,

Rocket Man - Elton John -

A hard song to interpret, but suppose to symbolize (in most opinions including mine) Elton's experience with being gay and coming out of the closet, mostly to himself and the rest of the world. The song itself makes no mention of homosexuality, but I think it symbolizes how alone he was and how different he was from what everyone thought he was... which was a straight man.

So if you already know the lyrics, you don't have to watch these but I HIGHLY recommend you do and tell me which song you think is the most powerful message and why? Also what do you think are the messages of these songs?

Thanks! I hope you all watch these, if not this thread is going to die rather fast lol.

• 8 Replies
playaholic
playaholic
1,098 posts
Farmer

Run to the Hills - Iron Maiden

but at my own oppinion i think it should be Heal the World by MICHAEL JACKSON.Its really damn heart warming,especially the line
"there are people dying"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2y1pE3yn6M

Lieutenut
Lieutenut
1,251 posts
Nomad

Yeah, that is a pretty powerful song. And nice choice I love that song I can tell you have good taste lol

Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

For me it is Imagine though it is (by coincidence) also one of my favourite songs. It is a beautiful song and puts a lump in my throat when I listen too it. Imagine is one of the few songs I now that makes me think more about what the song is saying than just listening to the music. We didn't start the Fire ahs been brilliantly ruined by Finals Countdown.

I dunno if we are aloud to make suggestions but mine are: I aint marching anymore by Phil Ochs it is a brilliant anti-war song... it is kinda simple but very powerful. Additionally I think White Riot by The Clash has a good message becasue it has been so mis-interpreted. It is about class economics and race insighting the audience to better themselves.

Bux99
Bux99
301 posts
Nomad

Yeah definately iron maiden

Lieutenut
Lieutenut
1,251 posts
Nomad

We didn't start the Fire ahs been brilliantly ruined by Finals Countdown.

lol I agree :P

and I'll let you know what I think of those two songs you suggested, they sound like they have good messages
parrot657
parrot657
896 posts
Nomad

Probably imagine. War is one of the biggest problems of mankind, and it's good that some people want peace. *run to the hills is the best song though...*

Lieutenut
Lieutenut
1,251 posts
Nomad

Probably imagine. War is one of the biggest problems of mankind, and it's good that some people want peace. *run to the hills is the best song though...*

I agree, however I think rocket man might also have a deep/powerful message

and to pixie, I liked those songs a lot they were very well written
Buttersnack
Buttersnack
332 posts
Peasant

I wouldn't pick any of those. Of those, maybe Rocket Man. But here would be my choice:

Cowboy Dan, which is about the relationship between Cowboys and Indians.

Or, possibly, Bukowski, which is about alcohol addiction (referring to the famous poet Bukowski, an alcoholic) and doubting God.

Showing 1-8 of 8