ForumsThe TavernHockey VS. Soccer

105 29274
Fox159
Fox159
261 posts
Nomad

I put this up because my tons of my family and friends argue about hockey being better than soccer or soccer being better than hockey. Please give reasons why hockey or soccer is better.

• 105 Replies
Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

Hockey is far too boring and only really a girls sport (we don't get to play it much in PE), for me soccer... sorry Football (!!!) is the beautiful game it is great to play and to watch. I love the skill and technique and loling at the idiots XD. Although hockey is fast paced there are too few shots on goal and alot of passing it about the back but that is just my experience from watching it in the olympics.

nick89
nick89
11 posts
Nomad

Hockey is way better because you can smoke guys into the boards. Soccer is for wimps because in the professionals if they fall they start crying or get really upset.

shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

Hockey is far too boring and only really a girls sport

What??? The professional league is all men... and most leagues are men's leagues...

Although hockey is fast paced there are too few shots on goal

What games are you watching? :P Hockey teams usually get around 25-31 shots a game! While soccer, usually 10 or so!

Anyways. I'd have to say hockey is better. It is way more fast paced, and there are more shots on goal, and more goals. As well, there's less passing than in soccer, in soccer it is mostly passing and gets boring to watch after a while.

However, playing soccer (with friends, I'm not in a league or anything) is pretty fun, and can be fast-paced. Watching it is boring though.
Blu3sBr0s
Blu3sBr0s
1,287 posts
Nomad

Although hockey is fast paced there are too few shots on goal and alot of passing it about the back but that is just my experience from watching it in the olympics.

The olympic version is NOT REGULAR HOCKEY. Watch the NHL and watch a Western Conference game, now THAT is hockey.

In my experiences with soccer there is way too much faking of injuries and screaming in pain then getting up perfectly fine when you don't get the call.
Pixie214
Pixie214
5,838 posts
Peasant

NOT REGULAR HOCKEY

Sorry I was bored and decided to be obtuse

Ice hockey dates to the late 19th century. "Field" hockey comes from B.C. so I think it can hold the title of Regular :P But hey for me when I hear Hockey I think Field not Ice but I have accustomised myself to this Americanised site but like I say I was bored so I'm sorry.

From talking to fst6 it sounds like there is plenty enough diving and moaning in hockey. I don't like the mega-violence stuff you see in sports from North America (American football, NASCAR, ice hockey etc. it gets boring quickly for me) but I can watch goals like this over and over

however for all you people who love to see pain I have a treat
<<<< This guy is not faking trust me
shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

Watch the NHL and watch a Western Conference game, now THAT is hockey.

Oh yeah... and there's no fighting in Olympic games. Real NHL hockey has fighting in it
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

Playing hockey is funner because it's indoors, and when your playing soccer it's usually hot and sunny in summer, so you get sweaty easily!

(I'm not talking floor hockey here)

Also, hockey is more exciting to watch than soccer.

shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

when your playing soccer it's usually hot and sunny in summer

Not necessarily... my friends play during the winter season and they even play in the snow sometimes! Amazing how they do it... lol

you get sweaty easily!

Can happen anytime xD
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,351 posts
Bard

Two sports I hate with a passion. But if I had to choose, I guess I'd go with hockey.

Rysin
Rysin
543 posts
Nomad

I like soccer abit more, I mean I don't ever like any of them, but if I had to choose it would be soccer. (I like to keep my teeth in my mouth)

quickshift
quickshift
349 posts
Nomad

Can you really compare the two? One is played on ice using a stick to hit the puck, The other is played on the ground and you and kicking, They are totally different.

quickshift
quickshift
349 posts
Nomad

Wrong, there is field hockey and inline hockey, I play inline.

Okay but nevertheless the are still totally different
shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

Can you really compare the two? One is played on ice using a stick to hit the puck, The other is played on the ground and you and kicking, They are totally different.

Not necessarily. Two opposing teams both have a goal on each side. The teams try to get the "object" (puck or ball, doesn't matter) into the other team's net. There are offsides and penalties.

There is diving, and people try to draw penalties in both sports!

Pretty similar to me...
TSL3_needed
TSL3_needed
5,579 posts
Nomad

Watch the NHL and watch a Western Conference game, now THAT is hockey.

Eastern is more exciting. Except when the Oilers vs. Flamers (Lawl) come on. Then it's wepic

I prefer hockey to watch (never played it though) and soccer to play. If I had to go with one I'd say hockey. Far more exciting.

(I like to keep my teeth in my mouth)

Bah! Teeth are for wussies XD
shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

Eastern is more exciting. Except when the Oilers vs. Flamers (Lawl) come on. Then it's wepic

No way... there was a Canucks vs. Preds game where there were like 4 actual fights, many after whistle scrums, and some guy got headshotted (for lack of a better term) into the boards.

It was awesome xD
Showing 1-15 of 105