Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

I am amazed

Thread Locked

Posted Mar 31, '08 at 7:16pm

Phluphyphill

Phluphyphill

28 posts

at how people judge others by just looking at them 
I had this happen to me because im a little overweight and fatty, but everyone thinks im lazy, but im really not that lazy i go run everyday. What do you people think?

Posted Mar 31, '08 at 7:20pm

Jtwolf22

Jtwolf22

150 posts

Hey me too but i the lovable fat kid everyone like I'm in with the most popular people.  People are sometime amazed on what i can do.

Posted Mar 31, '08 at 7:22pm

theone

theone

380 posts

WOW people have got meaner

Posted Mar 31, '08 at 7:23pm

theone

theone

380 posts

Well I am the short and skinney kid so i get call names and all that stuff

Posted Mar 31, '08 at 7:26pm

nick_coolhaha

nick_coolhaha

1,333 posts

Well, I have never actually been teased that badly or even at all before, but I guess people just make predictions and assumptions about how you are, just from dumb streotypes. It's streotypes that cause people to judge you before actually knowing you.

Posted Mar 31, '08 at 8:52pm

Sting

Sting

339 posts

Don't let people like that get to you.  Because someone is a little overweight, or a little too skinny, is not a good reason to make fun of someone.  Maybe a little friendly joking from some buddies might be acceptable, but the truth is there are alot of jerks out there.  Like I said before, don't let them get to you.

Posted Mar 31, '08 at 9:02pm

Crunk88

Crunk88

126 posts

In most cases being over weight is genetic and is your parents fault, just asmuch as being skinny. So if you see a really tall or buff person, its in their ginetics, most likely their whole family was born like that. Also when yur skinny u ussually gain alot of weight in there 20s, except larger people seem to keep putting it on.

Posted Mar 31, '08 at 9:08pm

Sting

Sting

339 posts

Crunk is right, at least about whether or not you are a little overweight or skinny; that usually isn't your fault.  And some people (some Irish men, perhaps) are naturally a little larger in stature that others.  However, being in good physical shape depends on how much you work-out, exercise, etc, so I cannot feel bad for people who don't even try to get into shape, but still complain.

Posted Apr 1, '08 at 1:56am

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

Well, yes and no to a lot of things here- between you guys, most of the major stuff has been at least alluded to.

* Yes, stereotypes do exist and are still prevalent today- it's just that they're now more the subject of debate in this day and age. Historically speaking, it used to be desirable to have a bit (or a lot) extra, because it was a sign that one was prosperous enough not to have to worry about putting food on the table. Also, life expectancy was lower then so things like cardiovascular disease were hardly as much of an issue as they are today. It was only when some societies became more prosperous such that food was no longer such a concern, that the tides began to change. Now it carries a moral weight which is often unjustified.

* The bottom line is this: Weight gain/loss is dictated solely by how much energy you put in versus how much you put out (not accounting for water retention).

* However, this is hardly as simple as it sounds! There are lots of factors influencing how much one puts in, and how much one puts out. It comes down to genetics, metabolism, your tendencies (are you a fidgeter? Are you naturally hyperactive?)

* This is not to say that everybody is the victim of the vicissitudes of biological fate. To varying degrees (this is important), people can generally manage their states, both by adapting to it and changing it- sometimes it changes by themselves (commonly kids somehow magically lose the 'puppy fat' when they hit puberty or adulthood- this happened to me). Unless, for example, you have something like Prader-Willis syndrome, in which you have no control over your appetite because one of the main chemicals that regulates it no longer works.

* Still, in general it doesn't hurt to be fit, no matter your weight status.

Posted Apr 1, '08 at 2:06am

opentotruth

opentotruth

510 posts

im a pretty skinny guy but i have some friends who got picked on for being overwight and i got into some fights defending them