ForumsWEPRReligion's Creation

98 19443
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

There are two really prominent faiths that are &quoticked on" by lots of people: Mormonism and Scientology. Many people believe that it's because these faiths present ridiculous arguments are ideals, but I would like to suggest an alternative.
With both of these faiths, people were able to watch the religion actually being created. We have enough evidence to show the motivations behind the creators and to understand why the religion itself advanced. All religion is really quite ridiculous when you look at it; is an evil space alien controlling the galaxy or Jesus appearing in America really that silly compared to a magical creature that doesn't have to follow physical laws but gets to physically interact with the universe?
Looking at these different religions at face value, they're all incredibly silly - we just have the ability to critically analyze recent faiths like Mormonism and Scientology. If people turned this critique inward, I think more people would realize how improbable and silly belief in a god is. Thoughts?

• 98 Replies
Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

People labeling Scientology as "silly" hasn't stopped them from becoming far too powerful for their own good. I see the light of what you're saying, but I hold firm in my faith in Christ as Lord. Organized religion, I find sickening. A good number of priests I don't think even truly believe what they preach, but are in it for the money. Those are the people I believe will burn in the lake of sulfur, the false prophets. But I'm not going to go into that, because that's just my take on the symbolism.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Well, there's certainly nothing in the bible about the need for priests or even churches. If I recall correctly, Jesus was originally arrested for thrashing a Synagogue, which had essentially turned into a filthy marketplace.
I wonder if people just really like the symbolism and the actual &quotrocess" of being religious - all the ceremonies and secret stuff they do - it's like a secret club or something!

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

That's what it's becoming, I think. People are falling away from God and becoming more and more assimilated into day-to-day life. Even those who previously wouldn't really follow a religion but rather adhere to set of morals are falling out. We truly are in a Godless age. Which only scares me more, because look what happened to the Roman empire! That's the way we're headed.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

I think it would be nice if we could learn from the Romans, move into a more Godless era. Then progress into a more rational, logical time. I say this only because I'm not a theist, but I am not yet an atheist, either.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

So you are like a agnosteist? That is what popped into my head. Do not ask.

That would be a step in the right direction. But it would be on helluva time trying to get most people to go along with it. Even though the US gov't is supposed to be separated from the church...I believe there would be a massive bout of resistance from the gov't. Because it likes to be silly like that.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

No. What you're attempting to do is force people to abandon religion. That's simply unjust and immoral. Maybe, though, no more immoral than what I'm doing in trying to draw people away from the church...

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

If we moved into a godless era, I do not believe the world would be around much longer. Personally, (and this is just me) if you do not have religion, then there is no logically reason for you not to go out and rob, kill, etc. I say this because if you do not believe in a 'god', then you most likely accept evolution, and you would just be following the process of natural selection, or survival of the fittest.

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

Well, even though I have to agree it is wrong to try to abolish religion, I will say- that an agnosteist (as Devoidless puts it) saying we shouldn't have religion, is no more arrogent than a Baptist saying "join our religion or burn in hell".

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

^But the Baptists (at least, some of them) truly believe that. I dunno... if you live your life good and at least try, I don't think you'll burn in the lake of fire. Or maybe you will. It's up to God to judge, not me.

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

Yeah, I find it hard to believe that a God that the Bible states is the embodiment of love and mercy, would cast someone in Africa, who has never heard anything about God, into eternal damnation. That is the type of 'turn or burn, fly or fry' mind set that I do not favor.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

^Exactly. I don't believe that God would just toss good people into Hell.

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

I mean, despite what people will say, if you seriously read through the Bible, it does not really talk about people being sent into hell 'forever', at least that is what is seems to me. Eternal hellfire, maybe, but it does not say someone will stay there for all eternity. Really, what kindof a God would do that? There would only be a small amount of people in heaven if that were true.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

In actuality, Hell isn't a place - it's a state of being the furthest away from God as possible.

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

Yes, some people like to say Hell is in the center of the earth - an interesting thought, but I doubt it.

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,197 posts
Herald

Well, isn't Hell, occuring to the Bible, hasn't been created yet? It's a place where evil spirits go after Jesus comes back? I'm really sorry if I don't have my facts stright, but I rememeber hearing about that somewhere.

Showing 16-30 of 98