ForumsWEPRReligion's Creation

98 19406
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

There are two really prominent faiths that are &quoticked on" by lots of people: Mormonism and Scientology. Many people believe that it's because these faiths present ridiculous arguments are ideals, but I would like to suggest an alternative.
With both of these faiths, people were able to watch the religion actually being created. We have enough evidence to show the motivations behind the creators and to understand why the religion itself advanced. All religion is really quite ridiculous when you look at it; is an evil space alien controlling the galaxy or Jesus appearing in America really that silly compared to a magical creature that doesn't have to follow physical laws but gets to physically interact with the universe?
Looking at these different religions at face value, they're all incredibly silly - we just have the ability to critically analyze recent faiths like Mormonism and Scientology. If people turned this critique inward, I think more people would realize how improbable and silly belief in a god is. Thoughts?

• 98 Replies
XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

This multiverse thing, I have read about that the multiverses could be traveled to through black holes. I'm not totally sure about this, but I read that if you get caught in a black hole, you could actually get to another universe. It had something to do with the stretching of space from the power of the black hole.

Sorry to go WAY off topic, but I was trying to understand.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

I think if I got stuck in a black hole, I would get condensed into a singularity, which to me sounds irreversible. Ouch!

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Multiverses are proposed because of some consequences of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. There are particles that actually have multiple states until observed, when their state becomes fixed. This lost information violates other principles and so to compensate for this, the theory of a mulitverse was proposed. From what I understand, it helps some other physics work out too, but I wouldn't know what theories or why it helps.
Just to be clear, if you enter into a black hole, you won't make it out - into another universe or anywhere. Black holes used to be quite exotic but compared to things astronomers are discovering and researching now, they're just "old sandboxes." All a multiverse has to do is to retain information, and travel between different accidents of a multiverse is just out of the question.

XCoheedX
XCoheedX
924 posts
Scribe

Well then what I was thinking of was worm holes. I'm not totally into those. I don't really believe that you could actually get to another universe. Some say that the worm holes bend time so you could go back in time or into the future.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

I lives in texas, Don't tell me I'm close-minded. xP

Also, I believe in extra-terrestrial life. Well, that is, I believe whatever god intended to make. Since, in both Islam and Christianity its a proven fact that god is creator of all that he has made. And with more knowledge, we can tell that he's made more beings than us. Then -- why can't we see that he coulda made something else?

If you are aethist -- Then I suppose its jus a personal question.

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

Wow there were alot of posts while I was gone haha. I would like to say good job on replying to my comment, Moegreche, that would be a merit-worthy forum post, if there were some things.

I also believe the end times are near. Although the Bible states no man (not even Jesus) will know the time, only God knows, there are many signs in Revelation and the current events that are happening that could indicate they are near. Just a side-note there for other people of Christian/similar beliefs.

As for black holes, um.... what? I do not think I will ever be 'sucked' into a black hole, so I'm not going to worry about that.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Moe, this is definitely now the "cosmology" thread, but I gotta ask- would we be on the same conceptual plane that throws up things like the Boltzmann-brains paradox and multidimensional reality theory? Last I head, somebody (I think it was Prof. Itzhak Bars, USC) was working on suggesting that there are extra dimensions of time, which actually helps iron out a great deal of physics mysteries.

Simple explanation can be found here-

[url]http://www.physorg.com/news98468776.html[/url]

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

That's so funny. I posted a Boltzmann-brain thread here a while back. There another good one that postulates that it is quite probable that we are just computer simulations - and apparently this author has found physical inconsistencies that would prove this theory.

Showing 91-98 of 98