ForumsWEPRHigh exprectations in school

33 7398
daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

So what do people think of teachers expecting too much out of students? I think its kinda of stupid, like if you make a great grade in one grading period, they will give you the hard stuff in class, and they start to give too much, and you start to do poorly, they just say that you are being lazy. This has happend to me, the first semester of school i had As and Bs, but this last report card i had 3 Ds, and i tried harder than ever, studying for every test and doing all my homework, i went the whole nine yards and still nearly failed.

• 33 Replies
Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

In a way I know what you mean. In a study done on all schools in the state of Maine, over 60% of students dropped out and did not finish high school. 60%! That makes me feel better about how I do in school haha (even though that is a very sad fact).

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,197 posts
Herald

Wow,that's crazy. I have never thought about teachers expecting too much of me because I have never felt that way. I have always gotten very good grades this whole school year so far and I hope to continue all throughout high school. Also, I don't really think that it's the teachers. It's probably just the students getting tired of school in general, so I guess they feel like they don't have work as hard anymore.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

What makes America great? You wouldn't want a moron doing surgery, or a fool creating a weapon that would probably shoot the bullet backwards at a soldiers head. You wouldn't want car designers making cars out of cardboard for gas mileage, overlooking the fact about what would happen if it crashed. [You get my point, there rather silly examples, though. :P]

That is why when people don't understand that their real life begins after their future is set. dropping out and working in a pretty low class job might leave you with friends for a while, partying, drinking, late nights. But your social life declines after that.
See, Companis, Government Offices only want the best. People that can BE the best. Because, anyone is good if they work at it. I don't know, never have heard of anyone going the whole nine and six tenths and nearly failing. I mean, with all your homework, you should be able to hold up a C in school. Also, your test grades should have turned out low. I don't know, it seems rather akward.

Also, in school, are you in upper level or on level classes? [If they do that, in that high school]
Also, teachers have the whole school year planned out besides their tests and quizzes and whatever else they make. Also, the first Semester of school is always easy. Its designed to be easy, you just came back from trying your best to rot your mind. [Its very enjoying, too bad it doesn't last longer than 2 and a half months. >.<]. If you can hold up A's a B's, then theres no reasno you should drop to D's. UNless you don't understand the subject, I'm pretty sure a textbook or the net could help you out.

Unless you have any mental issues. [Not being rude. Just saying]. Your mind should be able to work at a capacity like any other humans to acheive in school. I've never heard of someone trying their hardest and almost failing. Even if they do think slower than the "Smart kids".

See, if you stick out as someone who works for what you want. [Good future, example] IN highschool, colledge, you're making something of yourself. Those rich people + companys that pay you want people like that.

Not some fool that dropped out of highschool, its the way life is.
'Sides, Education requierments in the US have dropped a ton. Be glad you don't live in Asia.

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,283 posts
Jester

I agree with Armed_Blade but cramming up a kids head is crazy. I mean it would not kill you to go at a fast but still a good pace where the student learns and understands without getting overloaded with stress.

And yeah mabey the first year is desighned to be easy, But in my school your not getting a chance to slack off. The ygave us "real" work on the first day back, I got HOMEWORK on my spring vacation!

And sure a teacher has the whole year planned out but they can still go in a normal pace. Think about it.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

THERE is the problem. Some think it IS a normal pace. The above average expected pace. You can't have everyone learning at bright speeds. For some, Class is slow. They could go on hitting A's in the class until the teacher starts talking like a wise old fluff-nugget and no one can understand her.

I mean, some students cram for the biggest things, but thats what your supposed to do. Also, always look to things like lunch, P.E/Athletics, and things where school holds bright. If you litterally rot in your class like a log, then you won't go anywhere no matter how hard you studies beause you simply are just bored. If your teacher talks alot, and you think you know it [REALLY], then turn your ears off until she's done with her unneeded speech.

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,283 posts
Jester

Sorry for the doubble post I clicked enter...

Why do most kids drop out? Some I bet for sure is because of the strees, they can't handle it so the best anwser is to leave. But you can prevent that all, If the teacher goes at a good pace the student feels more willing to do the work. it is like weight training, do too much and you'll hurt yourself. Do small amounts at a time you'll get better!

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

also, whats an exprectation? :P

Just to clear you up, no one say Montessory schools are better. [In those schools, your allowed to work at your own pace. If you work hard, you could be in 7th grade when your old enough for 5th.]

Theres a problem with those, too, though. You can get lazy. After all, since your allowed to work at your own pace, getting lazy you could tell your teacher "Its getting hard, I'm gonna slow down". And ta-da. More time to play. So, as far as I know, normal schooling is best if you keep up at it. But obviously, as I've heard of some teachers, home-work murder is not a good thing to do.

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

Our future is destined for disaster. I mean, most teens nowadays just play video games all day. Sure, some can be very entertaining, but don't waste hours on end just moving your thumbs. Our next generation (although some will still be intelligent) will just keep getting duller, and duller, until we become a society of ingrate morons.

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,197 posts
Herald

I have to disagree with you Sting because that's the reason why we are enforced to go to school. They don't want this country to end up being stupid and I really doubt that it'll get duller and duller because as time advnces I like to think that everything basically progresses, so why can't a better way to keep students in school be developed and actual make them be smarter. Also, I think that with each generation, people are going to get smarter and smarter because things get better over time. Well, that's just what I think.

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

Like I said, schools in Maine alone have over a 60% drop-out rate. Did you know, that over two hundred years ago, people in the sixth grade were taken courses our current-day college students are taking? That is just another reason why we are getting (in a blunt way of putting it) lazier as technology gets better.

On a side note, obesity in America has also risen dramatically, which I believe is because of all the technological advances, not only with games and such, but also with ways to produce fast-food.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Lol, dont' make hatred of videogames. There are plenty of leaders to come. Beleive me.

Again, Believe me.

YOU DONT HAVE A LIFE. No one does. You might have a small social life, sure. Your life starts when you can learn how to put devotion into ejamacation and get a nice life set. And then have fun doing whatever the heck you life.

Sting, Alot of america is a society of ignorant morons. Yeah, Look to sports. You want to get fat and not play? Fine, just fail. xP

Blaze, can't work like that. In weights, you can hurt yourself. With your brain you can't, only improve. Its not alot if you look at it, Its just time consuming. But if you get smart, then it'll look like nothing, as the time consumed will be CONSIDERABLY lower. Its just if you can work at it.

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,283 posts
Jester

Ok ok lol the "weights" was a BAD example lol.

nick_coolhaha
nick_coolhaha
1,197 posts
Herald

Ohh, okay I see what you mean now. Since technology is developing people feel like they don't have to do as much, so they just become lazy. Also, I see what you mean about the obesity thing because technology has incresed in percent a lot. Aren't we like the fattest country in the world? Oh, and wouldn't your statement be the opposite of the topic because you're saying that now a days it's a lot easier then it was back a long time ago, so how do teachers expect more when they are actually expecting a lot less. That just brings back my point of that it's the student and not the teachers because it's the students that get lazy.

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

Haha 'the fattest country in the world', gave me a chuckle (probably right). Sorry armed_blade, I didn't really get what you meant out of that last post. No one has a life? Maybe I'm just too tired to understand things right now, so I better get off before I blabber on about something...

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Lies. >.> XP Long time ago, sixth graders may have been taking colledge student courses, but with less to take in as less was known as a way to teach, a course for algebra was much less. So advancement was stronger.

Also, its true. If you haven't noticed, places that aren't the richest places in the world, but are rich enough for a good healthy food system have the lowest obseity.
We are the fattest country. Sadly enough, I believe that McDonald has become a powerplant for those who'd rather buy technology or dresses than a better meal. After all, your saving one heckload of cash.

They are expecting more from us so its not as easy. After all, a few teachers are old. They don't know how different society has gotten. Many students are fine with school, as their lives are different than others. But for example if your someone with a different future in mind, or a different mindset.. School can be a drag. True enough, the problem is if the teacher is like, giving sixth grade in ninth grade the students'll survive. The problem is more of them get lazy than the ones that stress. And a large percent of the stressers are more or so people that are lazy, and are now blowing it all off on that final test.

Not my problem, unless your teacher SERIOUSLY is a cram-freak. And so far, I haven't heard of one. I've had a teacher that was hard on Hmwk. But everyone got by. I see no reason why I or anyone else am better than another, so If I could do it you can too. If all men are created equal, then we must prove it. Not show that one race, person, or mindset is stupider, lower, or anything else.

Showing 1-15 of 33