Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Athiasts

Thread Locked

Posted Apr 2, '08 at 4:24pm

Hermann0212

Hermann0212

156 posts

IDK much about this but its a never heard of topic so I will try it out. When they die they think they become trees right? What else do they do?

Posted Apr 2, '08 at 4:39pm

Hermann0212

Hermann0212

156 posts

I guess this is not a HOT TOPIC for the forums...

Posted Apr 2, '08 at 4:57pm

Zarzima_2112

Zarzima_2112

24 posts

yes. it sure is not a good topic. :).lol.

~zarzima~

Posted Apr 2, '08 at 5:55pm

Moegreche

Moegreche

2,796 posts

As an atheist I affirm the nonexistence of gods.  I am quite skeptical of supernatural beings - I cite a lack of empirical evidence.

But without stealing SwitchFoot's stolen ideas from Wikipedia I will say that atheists do not come back as trees.  Just like the rest of you, atheist cease to exist when they die.  Besides that, atheists don't do much else besides write an occasional book here and there.  Some of them try (unsuccessfully) to disprove god, but you can't prove that something doesn't exist.
Other than that, it's been said that gathering together atheists is much like herding cats.  I don't take offense to that because I don't want to be herded :)

Posted Apr 2, '08 at 5:58pm

Asherlee

Asherlee

5,189 posts

Knight

Very well put. I, on the other hand, am a wobbler. I teeter around on spiritual views, really coming to the conclusion that no one really knows. So, I came out Agnostic. Which is different from Atheism, but not really a Theist.

Posted Apr 2, '08 at 6:01pm

Sting

Sting

339 posts

That was an excellent way to put it, Moegreche.  That is why I think you hold a good conversation: even though you don't believe in a god, you admit you cannot disprove the idea since you cannot prove that something doesn't exist, just as I will admit that I cannot totally disprove evolution, since I was not around at the beginning of time to see what happened.

Posted Apr 2, '08 at 8:00pm

Devoidless

Devoidless

3,553 posts

Pfft. Moe stole my impending thunder. And Asherlee is still an agnostheist.  I copyright that word, by the way.

I am an atheist, and am more or less along the same tracks as Moe. Even though I can not disprove something that can not be proven in the first place, I hold firm to my believes. Just as long as someone does not bring up the "Well, you can not see air but you know it is real" argument, I am fine. If they do, I tend to get a bit snippy.

Posted Apr 2, '08 at 8:03pm

Sting

Sting

339 posts

Haha yes I agree, Devoidless, that whole "can't see air but it is there" (no pun intended) is a very stupid argument, and only put foward by Christians who are ignorant and do not have enough information to defend their beliefs.

Posted Apr 2, '08 at 8:06pm

daswiftarrow

daswiftarrow

930 posts

i personaly am an atheist and do not belive in god, but am stuck in the bible belt (ive mentioned it before), and so im forced to go to church, and so i know alot about chirstianity, and i think it is just a bunch of people trying to act smart, not saying they arnt.

Posted Apr 2, '08 at 8:07pm

Armed_Blade

Armed_Blade

1,563 posts

"Well, you can not see air but you know its real". [Yes, I have infringed the copyright law, as I'm sure anything you say is more or less copyrighted]
Snipper-On, Devoidless. xP

What I can't see is, if you don't believe in god -- then you have nothing to look up for, right? So, Just, as a random question -- If hard times fell upon you, what would you look up to? I mean, you have no faith to guide you, and being alone even mentally is a horrible thing. So, just wondering, would you figure it as a "Deal with it" situation or what?

Honestly, Religion can't disprove science, as science is all facts and theorys. The theories parts aren't proven. Now, if your an athiest that doesn't have anything to do in science, then, just out of curiousity, What or where do you think you came from? Unless, you believe that one day sundennly everything jus.. Poofed. o.o