ForumsSupport Forum[necro] Don't like ads? Don't click here!

385 124490
Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

You are stupid.

Some of you stupid people do not understand how much money it costs to keep this site running. You have a even harder time understanding the complexity of Dan not having multiple money trees planted in his back yard beside his flying unicorns. Dan spends hundreds if not thousands making sure this site stays up and running for thousands of little children.

http://lh4.google.co.uk/charliechia/RwHQxG96fRI/AAAAAAAAAYo/od3WZw50cX4/s400/money_tree%20copy.jpg
This is not Dan, or his backyard.

Why do you like this site? Probably because it's very simple to register, join, login, play free games and talk to other kids. But this great and simple design didn't just appear. People were payed to design it, code it, and make so simple that a kid can come on and instinctively know what to do, making sure you have the best time possible, and this isn't cheap. At all. Not only does he pay coders/designers, but he pays game makers, quite substantial amounts of money to make the best games you all love. And he pays them a lot, if any of you pay attention you will know some people get thousands of dollars for a single game.

http://www.undeadreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/the_last_stand_2.jpg
This cost Dan thousands of dollars, and you pay $0 to play it.

But hey! All these great features, we must be paying a lot for this much free games, and user easy of access! How much? Oh wait nothing! But wait a second... let's do some off the top of my head math...

Dan + No User Fees = Expensive To Maintain Website

No that just doesn't sound around right. There must be a missing factor.

Dan + No User Fees + X = Expensive To Maintain Website

Now let's brain storm and see what X could be that keeps this site running, oh wait no I know, ads! So the equation goes like this:

Dan + No User Fees + Ads = Expensive To Maintain Website

Now in reality the equation is much more complex but we will keep it simple for you. But what happens if you take the ads away from the equation? It's like taking away the 4 from 4 + 2 = 6, it just won't make sense or work out. Which is why they exist.

http://tonova.typepad.com/thesuddencurve/images/2008/08/16/hillbilly.jpg
Average AG user trying to keep up with my math.

[quote]Don't worry guys, don't like ads? Use ad blocker! So cool!

Says 'Stupid Child A'
But aren't the ads there for a reason? Or why else would they be there?

Says 'Moderately Smart Child B'
Don't be stupid, ads are just there to annoy us, they don't mind if we block them, makes no difference!

Replies 'Stupid Child A'
Oh okay, I guess that makes sense Stupid Child A. Thanks for pointing that out to me, let's go whine about Sonny 3 and how it's taking forever just after Sonny 2 came out a week ago!

Says 'Recently Deemed Stupid Child B'
Yeah let's go!

Finishes 'Stupid Child A'[/quote]

By blocking ads to make your petty lives easier, you are making harder for Dan to keep the site running, because he gets less money because of it. You block ads and this makes him want to keep this site under his management less and less, because money will soon come out of his pocket, money he works hard for, and deserves to keep. By blocking ads you are ensuring that this site won't survive for long. You will keep whining that the site has ads until he can't afford to run the site and either:
A) Sells it off to someone who will change the site to your dislike.
B) Make the site pay-2-play, so you will all have to pay.
C) Close the site in it's entirety.

http://io9.com/assets/resources/2008/02/1984_movie_big_brother.jpg
The future of ArmorGames due to Ad-Blockers.

You whine, but you pay nothing. If you were all ready to pay money yourselves, then complain, but if you don't like the idea of a pay to view website, you better expect a few ads. Think of the ads as your donation/fee to Dan to keep the site up, by blocking them you are trying to view the site without even paying the little minuscule entrance fee.

I don't mind ads, but now they are popping up in front of my screen and on the sides of the site! Normal ones are fine but they are now literally littering my screen to a point where I can't navigate the site.

Would you like to know who is to blame? Yourselves. This is a direct consequence of all you stupid kids who block ads, and lose Dan money.

Lets say it cost 10 dollars to run the site(it's not $10, but just as an example to explain). And the ads pay for let's say 11 dollars.
This 10 dollars goes to maintaining the site, and the extra dollar is put aside to save up and make the site even better. This comes to us as additional content or upgrades to the site/forum.

Now lets say that the ads pay for 11 usually, but now because people are blocking ads, he only gets 9 from them instead of 11. So this means he can't afford maintaining the site, let alone adding new things to it! How can this be? He will need to find a new way to make up for the 2 dollars he loses because of kids like you who block, and how does he do this? He compensates for the loss by making the other users who don't block, have even more ads. Annoying ads that appear on the sides and even over the site are there because he needs those to compensate for the loss of money generated by those who block ads. So not only are you making more ads appear by blocking, but you are making sure that he can't make enough money to update the site. You all complain new features never come on the site, and that is mainly because all the money that WOULD go to updating AG goes right into maintaining the normal site, due to losing money from blockers.

http://xjtian94.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/internet-advertising.jpg
Frontpage of Armorgames if enough people start blocking ads.

I hope you stupid kids semi understand this, so that you stop blocking the site. Because you are the main cause of it's lack of updates and increased ads. So unless you have a check ready to be payed to ArmorGames every month to ensure it staying up, I suggest you shut up and live with the ads.

P.S. I said stupid 6 times in this, almost a personal record.
  • 385 Replies
MysticWing
MysticWing
287 posts
Nomad

I actually like the ads. I know OMG he likes the ads nooooo! I don't really know why but the ads are actually attractive and don't bother me. Heck I even clicked the new ad because it was awesome. Anyway but Klaushouse is correct....the site needs money in order to keep it up and to maintain it. I still love this site and the ads are actually awesome. I really like this new Dungeon Fighter ad. The first time I cam on AG with this new ad....I was thinking "holy crap AG looks so awesome!". I think the way AG has ads is actually smart. They actually make the site look better while adverstising....win-win IMO.

TheDude42
TheDude42
1,026 posts
Nomad

Okay, I know that ads keep the site running, but some ads are annoying:
Banner ads: Sure! As long as they don't make noise or have videos.
Ads with videos/moving animations: No. They're distracting.
Border ads: I guess they're not too bad. You get used to it.
Ads with sound: NO.
Pop-ups ads: No, they're annoying.
Ads on profiles: I guess so... I mean you don't look at profiles much do you?
Evony ads: That woman is scary. NO.
Dungeon Fighter ads: Just change that guys arm.

Green12324
Green12324
4,099 posts
Peasant

If doesn't matter if you click, because he doesn't get paid only per click he gets paid to have it on the site,

How do you know?
DaveLopo
DaveLopo
39 posts
Nomad

I don't care about site ads, but the pop-ups are unnecessary.

I'm sure they could find a better way to get revenue.

And btw, why does everyone hate the guy's arm in that ad? It's... weird, but people seem really, truly ticked by it. Also, I think they could place the ads on the game pages a wee bit farther from the game screen, cause I accidentally click stuff all the time (and sometimes lose my game >.&gt.

Flippin3500
Flippin3500
2,581 posts
Shepherd

Honestly, I haven't encountered any lag from the side ads. I didn't even know they were there until I started clicking.

I have this problem where my middle finger accidentally right clicks all the time causing the little help box to appear. Before the side ads, I would just click to the very left to get out of the box, knowing that there wasn't anything over there. So, the first day the side ads appeared I opened a lot of pop-ups. lol That's the only con I have found. Other than that, I haven't noticed any lag. In fact, it seems to be running a lot smoother.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Back from my 7-day journey! How's the anger in here, fellas?

The side ads are a nice touch. Not only does it provide a large visual of what the game(s) is, but it never goes away, or switches to another ad. That's going to give lotsa revenue to the game, plus more for AG, of course...

I consent to any ads, except ads that disrupt the game that you are trying to play in the first place. That's not what AG should be for, and I'm glad they took those away. Of course, the ones I'm talking about are the video ads, animated ads, rollovers, all that jazz. Glad they are gone, in my opinion

Freakenstein, back in business :-)

Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

I like the ads, and I don't block them.

The ads have wooed me over atleast seven times. I tried out Shadow Tale until it wouldn't let me buy anygood stuff anymore. I tried some mech quest for about a day. I got combat arms because of the ad. I looked at the Dungeon Fighter, I was suprised to see that it was a Nexon game, so I can just download the game if I ever want to, and not have to mess around with joining Nexon.

Furthermore I like ALL ads, mainly because I appreciate the artwork of them, some of them are inspiring to me.

Theses ads really cause lag for you guys? I'm running on a crap laptop and I am getting no lag whatsoever, so you guys might wanna think about trading in your 7 year old computer and getting rid of dial-up.

Good job Klaus, maybe it will make sense to some people.

Green12324
Green12324
4,099 posts
Peasant

@Klaus

Just because your site doesn't get paid per click, doesn't mean every site doesn't. In my experience with advertisements, the advertiser usually paid per click. Of course, either way advertisers don't especially love ad block. The only difference is when they're getting paid per click, the people weren't going to click the ads in the first place.

As a side note: calm down. I know anonymity over the Internet allows you to be as rude as you'd like, but you still look like an asshole when you choose to do it.

kesse
kesse
134 posts
Nomad

Klaus, you have proved your point. No need to be an asshole anymore. Stop flaming everyone that disagrees with you. It makes you look like an idiot and makes everything you say invalid/unimportant when you are being serious.

Flippin3500
Flippin3500
2,581 posts
Shepherd

Klaus, you have proved your point. No need to be an ******* anymore. Stop flaming everyone that disagrees with you. It makes you look like an idiot and makes everything you say invalid/unimportant when you are being serious.

Yeah, seriously. Don't worry about other people. They're still going to be ignorant when you're done. It's only a waste of your time to do these kind of things...
Green12324
Green12324
4,099 posts
Peasant

You are so dumb, you argue without even reading.

You're not any better, you argue and act like you're better than us without getting the facts. Unless you can show me where Dan has told you how the advertisers pay him, you don't know anything about AG's ad revenue.

If you're this rude, and make such a big deal out of small things in real life as well, I feel bad for you. Especially in the case that you're an adult, as you seem to be implying by calling me a "dumb child". Only dumb children are complete assholes to people who won't take their words as fact. Grow up.
TSL3_needed
TSL3_needed
5,579 posts
Nomad

If you're this rude, and make such a big deal out of small things in real life as well, I feel bad for you. Especially in the case that you're an adult, as you seem to be implying by calling me a "dumb child". Only dumb children are complete ******** to people who won't take their words as fact. Grow up.

Don't feed the trolls.

Anyway, GET RID OF THESE DAMN SIDE ADS!!!!

I'm rather close to ditching AG. These black borders are extremely uncomfortable.
dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

I has approval sticky

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

amg dis is awesum. Klaus has given new meaning to awesumness.

RenegadePlayer
RenegadePlayer
684 posts
Nomad

ads keep sites running but they also can lag the crap out of computers... can you try to limit resolution in ads or make them move less?

Showing 16-30 of 385