ForumsWEPRThought Experiment

43 7583
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

This is a bit long, but it's just fun to think about these sort of things. Mind you, this is a hypothetical situation and is only meant for a discussion. It is possible that there is no right answer here. Just an opinion.

For Stelios, the teletransporter is the only way to travel. Previously it took months to get from Earth to Mars, confined to a cramped spacecraft with a far from perfect safety record. Stelios' TeletransportExpress changed all that. Now the trip takes just minutes, and so far it has been 100% safe.

However, now he is facing a lawsuit from a disgruntled customer who is claiming the company actually killed him. His argument is simple: the teletransporter works by scanning your brain and body cell by cell, destroying them, beaming the information to Mars and reconstructing you there. Although the person on Mars looks, feels and thinks just like a person who has been sent to sleep and zapped across space,the claimant argues that what actually happens is that you are murdered and replaced by a clone.

To Stelios, this sounds absurd. After all, he has taken the teletransporter trip dozens of times, and he doesn't feel dead. Indeed, how can the claimant seriously believe that he has been killed by the process when he is clearly able to take the case to court?

Still, as Stelios entered the teletransporter booth once again and prepared to press the button that would begin to dismantle him, he did, for a second, wonder whether he was about to commit suicide.

• 43 Replies
Zihark
Zihark
309 posts
Nomad

lol I think it wouldn't really matter because your mind and soul would live on. and if stelios did that, he would have figured out a way to clone organisms

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Does it actually destroy them? I thought in the movies what these sort of things did was particle-ize you, and then send those particles somewhere where they would then reassemble...

If it actually KILLED my cells, and then reconstructed me... I would not be cool with that.

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Inturesting. Not too sure what I would do.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

It doesnt matter, my consciousness was being continued as myself (in my image of reality) comes out on Mars with the same consciousness as I had on Earth. The person that dies doesn't realize it, and as far as he knows, we are the same person but he doesnt feel anything nor exists as anything but a concept. Summarizing this, I wouldn't mind at all, efficiency is all that matters with this technology!

Erako
Erako
121 posts
Nomad

How can you possibly call that death?! If you're still breathing air and freely thinking, I would say you haven't died. You can do everything, but at a different location, how can you be dead? I must say that was extremely thought provoking... great situation!

cykotic_gamer_
cykotic_gamer_
153 posts
Nomad

wow this post is pretty cool i dunno maybe the guy wants to make easy money. but that is so cool you clone yourself onto another planet

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Erako, then it is apparent you are a physicalist. Many believe there is something more to a human besides their body. It may be their soul, mind, spark of life, or whatever you want to call it.

Another way to argue with the customer who is charging him with murder you could say the body is ever-changing with each passing moment. Our cells are constantly changing. So essentially we are a differ person every instance.

But there is no right answer here. Just something to get the brain thinkin hard. I have a ton of these thought experiments I thought I might put up every once in a while.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

I think what makes a person a person falls under a few circumstances. A. a line of relative consciousness B. Human.
So I think we do remain the same person even if our body is changing, and that we are the same person even if put through the process of disintegration and reconstruction.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

This leads right into another thought experiment that I will post in the morning.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

Errm k. ( ._.)

The_B_Man
The_B_Man
75 posts
Nomad

I think that is true(that he is dying and being cloned)but then that means that a radio is being transmitted dead transmitionsbut they werent alive in the first place so that means that the person wasnt alive in the firts place...

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

B man, we will work on your logic skills...

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Cells may constantly be changing, but that is different than them dying. In many parts of the body, once a cell dies, thats it.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,202 posts
Farmer

yes but these cells are being cloned, it all depends on what happens to the cells themself, if they are 're'constructed, then they are essentially not the original, it is like getting a new body, so technically, I believe that you do essentially die, but I might be wrong

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

That is how I read it, that it kills your body and reconstructs you somewhere else. The same, but not the original.

Showing 1-15 of 43