ForumsProgramming ForumFlash game test - BIG PROJECT

173 99901
plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

I worked on this game for quite some time. Probably a good 20-30 days of work on it. This is my first ever large scale game and has a functioning high score system by rankz.armorbot. (went down long time ago)

I didn't perfect everything yet but I am working on it so criticism is welcome. I am more worried right now about coding problems and glitches than making the jumping and collision detection perfect.

The game can be found here:
Super Mitchio

I also used a template from flashvillage.com to create a little movie about the making of the flash game and what goes into creating something like this.

The movie explaining the making of the game can be found here:
Making of Super Mitchio

If you get to check it out, let me know what you think.

• 173 Replies
plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Lennon, that was two years ago. I take criticism but I was realizing how young and undereducated some of these commenters are. Well it's the internet, what did I expect?

But back to the game, yes I have solved the camera problem in another one of my games but did not implement it in Super Mitchio. Thanks for the input though.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Going to be finishing this game up sometime soon, any more input is greatly appreciated!

ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

Pretty decent so far, but it feels like it needs a layer of extra polish. You need to make the character designs tie in to a common aesthetic. Right now all the art is completely different and it is very jarring.

Actual shooting action is good though. You're on the right track; keep going!

ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

OK, I just had a look at the making of animation:

and it is brilliant. Your "making of" animation is brilliant.

It's polished. It's got good animations. It has a simple and consistant aesethetic.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Explosionshurt,
Thanks for the input! I know I didn't tie the theme together with the character, enemies, and backgrounds, but I was planning on doing that with a storyline of some sort. I just haven't been working on that aspect of the game yet, I was focusing more on the programming but I believe I can tie it together with a wacky story of some sort.

The making of animation was created by Flashvillage and is a template that I filled with my content and modified slightly. I think it looks very fluid also and it took less than 6 hours to finish!

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Does someone want to help me develop a storyboard for this game? The programming is done, I just need to develop a storyboard.

LucasDaLegend
LucasDaLegend
1,066 posts
Nomad

I like it a lot but the game kept constantly locking me in 'Stickie Keys' which completely ruined the game. That means that i am sorry to say that i can only give it a 5/10. To perhaps prevent 'Stickie Keys' from occuring, then try adding in other controls. Preferably W=^ D=> A=< S=..down

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Lucas, I am unsure if you tried WSAD as controls. They have been programmed in there for quite some time now but I'm assuming that some system has problems with WSAD for controls. I know there is a glitch with the super mushroom and using WSAD to get the boosted speed, but I am unaware of any others.

I don't know if you were pressing SHIFT/CTRL/etc to toggle sticky keys but a point I have to make is that you can change the sticky key settings which is what I had to do for flash gaming. You have the option to turn off sticky keys which is a good choice unless you specifically use that shortcut (not many do). Do a search for "turn off sticky keys" on your favorite search engine, that may help.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Any more input?

greenplanet011
greenplanet011
207 posts
Nomad

I beat the jet boss,but couldn't get past the first level -_- I suck at your game.It's a good game from what I hear,I really want to ride yoshi

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Green, thanks! You can use the name 'devtestr' in the pause menu to unlock debug/god mode. You will definitely be able to check out the later levels if you do that.

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

I uploaded a youtube video showing a walk-through of the game.
It can be viewed at Super Mitchio Walk-through.

The game can still be found on my site, 3Dmitchell.com at Super Mitcho Flash Game.

Any other input is greatly appreciated, I'm still working my way up to the day when I decide to finalize this project. Right now the day job is keeping me busy.

http://3dmitchell.com/images/super_mitchio_start_screen.gif

ablr
ablr
133 posts
Nomad

I thought it was pretty fun and I have the 20th highest score ever

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

albr, thanks! I'm presuming your name on the scoreboard is 'always', not bad for a first time player!

plasmafish
plasmafish
252 posts
Nomad

Sorry ablr, I misspelled your name as albr.

Showing 136-150 of 173