halogunner

halogunner

766 posts

hey you did better than anything i could have done

Posted Aug 6, '12 at 12:13pm

plasmafish

plasmafish

258 posts

Thanks, anyone can learn how to do this stuff.  It just takes a decent amount of time to invest.

Posted Feb 7, '13 at 10:24am

plasmafish

plasmafish

258 posts

Any more input would be greatly appreciated!

Super Mitchio

Thanks!

Posted Feb 7, '13 at 11:18pm

Midmenj

Midmenj

224 posts

It's a good start, but try to incorporate your own graphics to replace the super mario graphics. Or try adding your own element in the game so its not just super mario with a guys head on his body. If you just copy and pasted the programming then i'd stop that and actually LEARN programming. I'm in school for game design so trust me on that one. Other then that, good start and try to make it your own.

Posted Feb 8, '13 at 12:29am

fantasy4life

fantasy4life

1,062 posts

First things first, as I started the game and clicked agree, I was welcomed to the title zooming in towards me, which is fine and dandy, but the lack of music and sound made the experience dull. Music is there for a reason, put an instrumental menu music at about 60 volume, reason being I wouldn't want it to be loud and annoying, instead, just to compliment the experience of starting a game. As were on the topic on music, put sound FX when you click an option on the menu, making it more exciting to click things, not the dullness of hearing my repetitive mouse clicks.

I recommend that you put quality settings, difficulty settings and blood settings all in one place, stuff is all scattered and cluttered on the main screen.
The down title; Strategic platformer is an unnecessary waste of space and it should be removed, and honestly, the game is far from strategic, and platformers aren't ment to be strategy based. The title "Super Mitchio" is to big, it cramps the whole menu and it takes more than half of total space, there is no reason for that, tone it down a little. The options, while we're at it, why the little arrows pointing up and down to choose options? If I want the difficulty to be easy, I'll click easy, and if I want the quality to be low, I'll click low, not clicking the arrow two times. This is such a simple fix, and believe me, it's important.
Also, one more small thing-y I want to mention; medium difficulty? Why not normal? Every other game has normal instead of medium these days, so follow the crowd. But not really that important, just an observation.

When you start the game, you start in an awkward position, it's so random and out of place, you're confused as to what to do and where to go. You also start falling on a coinbox, so coins are dropping immediately as you start the game, which leads to an even bigger confusion. I don't know as to why you decided to put the player in the middle of the level, but that's something you should avoid doing, making the player feel confused with multiple choices, the goal of any game is to be as simple as possible but still be addictive and fun. Remember, when you make the game think of a player and what he would think when he starts playing, also think he is a dumb idiot so if you make things to confusing, he'll lose his mind and break his computer. We wouldn't want players who play your game to do that, would we?

So I started the game, whoop te doo, and the first thing I notice is important; SOUND. Finally, some sound. I think I was going deaf for a second when I started playing, I was extremely relieved when I realised that that was just the developers laziness, or lack of thought.
Ok, what am I seeing here? An interesting choice of a character, ok, nothing wrong with a bit of difference to break the generic characters you see in every other game, timer, ok, mute button and pause button, who should be a little bit closer to the edge, ok, hover over them, BAM! There are different sized fonts on both of the buttons. What the f? Now, you think this is such a small thing to address, nothing important, but it's the little things like that that can ruin the whole game. Consistency is key (That's some good advice there, follow it like a religion).
Ok, health and score, ok...wait. there is health that says 100, and behind it there is a visual health bar that looks awkwardly placed...huh? Nope. Either choose text health or visual health, no need to adopt both.

OK, I'm moving. I'll say the animations and controls are pretty smooth, it isn't too fast or too slow, I like that. I can't criticize something that's made right.
One thing I noticed, you haven't yet mastered the y coordinates on blocks when the character comes in contact with them, he stands over them, not on top of them. and some of the same blocks have different y coordinates, which suggest you did each of them differently, which is just a waste of time.
You can create one block as an object, so you don't have to make each of them with new lines of code, and when you're done just drag it in the final project and copy&paste.
Ok, this is just wrong. Why did you make coinboxes so that you jump towards them but you don't come in contact with them and miss them, but you made bricks the way you should? Take mario for an example, when you jump to the coinbox, the coinbox moves a bit up and coins come out of it, while the character moves down indicating that the block stopped him from jumping. Not like they're see through. Make them like you did the bricks, pl0x, with a bit different animation, of course. Also, the coins come out awkwardly, from the sky randomly, it doesn't indicate that it came from the box. Just copy it from mario, they did it right -.-'
One more thing, why three coins? Kind of weird looking, my OCD forbids asymmetrical property of the coin drop. doesn't look even, and we can't have that. It might kill me.

So the level itself, it's clustered with different things, which is pointless and annoying. make the level more spread out so it not only feels longer, but to be able to explore for longer. Having multiple enemies, pipes, coinboxes, bricks, weapons, spikes, carrots, etc on one screen, what where you thinking? There is no reason to have every powerup and encounter all of the enemies immediately when you start the game, It would feel like you played the whole game in the first 3 seconds, which will later on cause repetitiveness content, you can easily fix that with different weapons on each stage, stages where new enemies are introduced, etc...not all of it on the first level.

Also, fix the hitboxes on certain objects, Mario for example, I can jump through him, but when I come in contact with him I should get caught.
The weapon...ok. I got the weapon, good, game freezes, instructions pop up, everything on the right track, down arrow and spacebar bolded and in different color, good indication, ok, pop up gone in 4 seconds, good, have an arrow to remove it immediately, good, but kind of worthless when I use keyboard only, spacebar skips the pop up too good, but the down arrow doesn't. Simple fix, make the down arrow with the same properties as spacebar.
Ok, the gun looks good when character stands, nothing weird, ok, I move and...nope. You again got the wrong coordinates with the y-axis, it looks out of place. Not to mention the gun hovers while the character doesn't even hold it. What?
One thing I should mention, making unlimited ammo ruins the difficulty of the game, It feels cheap and too easy, make it a bit harder for the player to play the game, but not frustratingly hard.

Ok, you have a lot of mistakes I can't cover all in one post, but I'll come again to review it more in-depth. Hope this criticism helped you improve more on how a game hould be designed.

Posted Feb 14, '13 at 2:25am

codyrousseau

codyrousseau

66 posts

Everyone's a critic. Don't give up man.

Posted Sep 26, '13 at 4:29pm

plasmafish

plasmafish

258 posts

fantasy4life,
You are a horrible reviewer, and I recommend that you review some of your own flash projects (if you even have any) before thinking you have a "status" that makes me think that your review holds weight.  The whole review you wrote is arrogant and disrespectful.

I understand that many of your "suggestions" are true if I was working for a gaming company, but the point of the project was not to appease YOU.  It was for ME to gain a level of understanding in how actionscript game programming works and where improvements could have been made.  I do not intend to waste time on an already bland game trying to make it spectacular because some keyboard warrior thought he could sum it all up in one post with a ending statement of, "you have a lot of mistakes I can't cover all in one post, but I'll come again to review it more in-depth".  It's been 8 months, where's my in-depth review?

Anyways, you didn't play the game through all the levels and it shows because all your suggestions are based around items in the first level or opening screen/GUI.  I have yet to master the X-Y coordinates on the blocks you say, I guess you've mastered it?  It's called hitTest - a method in AS2 which is not very good for complex collisions but it works.  If I made another game I would most likely use AS3 with an actual collision detection engine, but this is close to as good as it gets without writing a collision detection engine for irregularly shaped objects.

Posted Sep 26, '13 at 6:18pm

mightybob

mightybob

351 posts

fantasy4life,
You are a horrible reviewer, and I recommend that you review some of your own flash projects (if you even have any) before thinking you have a "status" that makes me think that your review holds weight.  The whole review you wrote is arrogant and disrespectful.

Actually, looks like you're being "rude and disrespectful".

plasmafish. You gotta accept bad feedback and just try to improve. If you just always say "you suck" to whoever gives you bad feedback, will you ever get better? Nope.

It is a OK game. Try zooming out the camera and using more readable fonts. Animations seem very choppy... It doesn't make a whole lot of sense how some things are PS'd pictures, and some are 8 bit pixel art.

I use hitTest also, it works well. But again everything in the game seems squished, please, please zoom out the camera!

Sorry for the mean start to a post but I can't stand it when people poo poo every negative post.

Alright, now for the good stuff: Physics is nice, I never sunk into the ground or bounced around. I like how you dont bounce around when pushing against walls.

I like the weapon power-up.

But really, what do I have to say, I always hated Mario flash remakes.

Oh well, honestly it has no appeal, even if it was meant for you to gain a level of understanding, if your gonna make a game it's not all about the code. A lot of a good game comes from level design, graphics, and just fun stuff to do. For example, in the game FPA3, you never HAVE to do a backflip, but it's possible. Just fun stuff to do for fun. Right now the game seems to limited, like you can only do what you have to do.

I really recommend trying to make something else, copies of mario really have no appeal at all, they're not fun, funny, cool, they're just pretty boring...

Posted Sep 26, '13 at 6:39pm

weirdlike

weirdlike

504 posts

Knight

I can see you put a lot of time and energy into this game. Very impressive.

My personal opinion is that you should retain all the knowledge you learned from this project, and.... abandon it. Start writing down ideas and game design on a new project in a completely different direction, keep at the platform design and grow on it.

Posted Sep 26, '13 at 7:53pm

mightybob

mightybob

351 posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Reply to Flash game test - BIG PROJECT

You must be logged in to post a reply!