Forums

ForumsProgramming Forum

Flash game test - BIG PROJECT

Posted Sep 29, '13 at 7:06am

Darkroot

Darkroot

2,879 posts

I'm kinda surprised your still working on the same project and that the project looks about the same as the last time I played 3-4 years ago. What I said in my comment before still applies and I would really recommend you ditch it and starts new original project from scratch. I think feature creep syndrome set so you should kill it off and start anew imo.

Also you seem to be taking criticism more personally. My comment 4 years ago was wayyyyy more negative yet you took in stride.

Still gotta say you're dedicated.

Posted Oct 3, '13 at 5:05pm

plasmafish

plasmafish

259 posts

mightybob, I wholly agree with you and just had to put my response out there because I did not come back to this site/thread for quite some time due to that post. Many of the prior posts I have taken with good consideration, but I understand the new posters may not have read through previous replies. I am not a fan of the design (Mario) I took initially and did not remake the game because of the time involved. If I was to remake it I would want to create/use a much better collision engine and obviously create unique graphics/animations/levels. The tutorial I worked from is located here and was extremely incomplete for what I wanted to accomplish: http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx2004/platform_game.htm

weirdlike, thanks! I have been currently employed as a full time developer and work with a team of graphic designers for my companies projects. I do most of my coding in ASP.NET/PHP/SQL and create custom flash projects that do not include games. I am near complete on 2 other personal flash games that I started after completing level 4 of this game, but they are not publicized anywhere except for my website.

Darkroot, yes, I have not done much work on this project since you have last seen it. I did a couple things, but it was mainly code optimization. I have started some original projects from scratch, but my employment keeps me from dedicating a lot of time to them at the moment. They are near complete though and I believe they are what you are thinking (custom graphics, no proprietary sounds, original programming/logic flow). I have even written a very complex CMS in the past year using PHP/MySQL with code simplicity and modularization in mind. It is still in development and if you'd like to check it out, send me an email through my website. :) I was just disgusted at that last comment and in reality I am done with this project and don't know if I will edit it again. I've moved on from this project but still like to read the feedback. :)

Posted Oct 4, '13 at 9:55pm

mightybob

mightybob

367 posts

Alrighty.

Well me and weirdlike a while back discussed something about platforming, and I have some pretty good working code, if you want to use some of it. (most of it is basic except for 1 part, where I was able to set the player's rotation to the angle of the ground he was on. e.g: the hill the player is on is 45 degree angle, so then the player's angle is set to 45 degrees, kinda like the fancy pants game).

I really suggest making your graphics in either illustrator or just even inside of Flash, that way it's very flexible and everything can be easily changed, plus no pixelation, since it'll be vector.

All I do really in flash is make platformers so if you ever need a little help with something i'm sure i have some code for it you could use.

One thing I do when I start a new project is I take the basic code of my last project and put it in the new one as a starting point so it's not so much work.

Posted Oct 11, '13 at 6:57pm

plasmafish

plasmafish

259 posts

Bob, thanks, I would most definitely like to check out your code. Send me an email through my website and we'll get things started.

Posted Oct 18, '13 at 9:40am

mightybob

mightybob

367 posts

Sorry for the late reply! I'll send some stuff over once I can get on the computer that has it.

Also, what language do you use? As2 or As3? I have some working code in both, but the As2 one is more polished up.

Posted Oct 20, '13 at 8:10pm

plasmafish

plasmafish

259 posts

No problem, I use AS2 and AS3 but I prefer AS2 for learning projects and games :)

Posted Oct 24, '13 at 3:17pm

mightybob

mightybob

367 posts

Err⦠I don't see an email on your website.

Posted Oct 25, '13 at 10:47am

plasmafish

plasmafish

259 posts

Bob, on the homepage of 3dmitchell.com, right under the menu and to the left of the robotic flash piece.

"Feel free to contact Mitchell if you have any comments or suggestions."

Reply to Flash game test - BIG PROJECT

You must be logged in to post a reply!