Forums → Programming Forum → Flash game test - BIG PROJECT
I worked on this game for quite some time. Probably a good 20-30 days of work on it. This is my first ever large scale game and has a functioning high score system by rankz.armorbot. (went down long time ago)
I didn't perfect everything yet but I am working on it so criticism is welcome. I am more worried right now about coding problems and glitches than making the jumping and collision detection perfect.
The game can be found here:
I also used a template from flashvillage.com to create a little movie about the making of the flash game and what goes into creating something like this.
The movie explaining the making of the game can be found here:
Making of Super Mitchio
If you get to check it out, let me know what you think.
- 178 Replies
I have went through all the suggestions and fixed most of the problems in my FLA. The newest version is not uploaded yet because I am still finalizing parts of it, but before I finish it I was wondering if anyone had more input?
Good job at the coding for the first time. But one year for one project is a long time, I would've lost interest by then. Are you working on this really casually?
Thanks! Yes I am working on this game extremely casually. It will be finished soon but I am making sure I don't release a "finished" game that needs a lot of work still. I am also still mad that armorgames took down their armorbots high score system.
Just found your game, quite good, especially for a first go at a flash game. I didn't notice anything that hasn't already been pointed out, such as the collision detection, but I'm not going to reiterate what's already been pointed out. Just wanted to say good work and I'm looking forward to seeing you get a finished project and hopefully start making more games.
Thanks! I have uploaded a new version with a bunch of improvements. Let me know what you think.
1. I tried to fix the collision detection as good as I could for now. Fixed for the character and bullets.
2. I made the easy difficulty have the falling jump with the medium and hard difficulty omitting it. The standard difficulty is now medium instead of easy in order to take the falling jump away from the start of the game. An easier difficulty can be selected upon resetting or a page reload.
3. Added path to third level on the second level. This means that you can make it to the third level in the game without ever defeating an enemy or boss.
4. Enter or space can now be used to start the game and retry. No use of the mouse is required once the flash been clicked on.
5. Removed information about falling jump in the instructions.
6. I fixed the pipe glitch in the third level and added the ability to buy super mushrooms in the third and fourth level. Walking to the left through pipes had to be kept in case an enemies coins lands in front of the pipe (meaning no way to get to it).
7. Populated third level with more enemies and items, still haven't created the bosses for this level yet.
8. Added a path to the fourth level at the end of the third level.
P.S. Fourth level has not been constructed, once I finish the bosses for the third level and work out all the fine details then the fourth level will be created.
Oh, and I replaced the comments system I had on the page due to database malfunctions.
Guys, let me know if everything is working properly. The new version is uploaded with 10 fold improvement on collision detection.
Much of the collision is improved, but some is still off. Sometimes when jumping on top of the larger ? blocks it only detects at the middle of the block, sometimes at the top, and the small ? blocks seem to have a very small window for collision, and some not at all.
Also, in regards to the coins, instead of leaving it so we can walk through the pipes why not add collision detection to the coins so that they would bounce off the sides of the pipes and not get trapped? I understand that such things are hard to code for, but in a polished and finished work they would make the game feel much more professional.
Other than that, everything else seems to be working just fine, and I'm eagerly awaiting a boss for the 3rd level so I can kick his butt, and seeing what the 4th level is, because the falling blue screen just wasn't very entertaining....
I don't get how people give it 8 out of 10, sorry. The game isn't original just because you don't have to jump on the enemies :S Seriously, it's not so hard to think of an old-school platformer with some of your own characters. If you did that then the game would have attracted me more, and probably others as well, but right now it feels like a badly done Super Mario spin-off. No offence, I appreciate the effort and I know how much work goes into a game, but this just doesn't cut it for me.
It was okay, but i found you could walk through walls and such, and you couldn't jump that well.
I was about to post what you said Kamelonu but I like the game.
I get caught when I jump on the foes. -.- why?
Alright, I spent a ton of time making improvements, I had a designer help me with the background for the 4th level, and I experimented with a lot of new programming possibilities for actionscript code. I still have to change the first two levels enemies and animations, fix the pipe glitch (already fixed in my test version, not in live version) as mentioned by Mr. Walker, and a bunch of other little miscellaneous things before I can call it 100% complete. One of the top things on my mind is getting the proper credits to people at the end of the game. I realized how underdeveloped the game still was when I last uploaded it so I spent a lot of time working on all sorts of bug/glitch fixes.
1. Went over nearly every block in the whole game and reassigned/restructured the hittest components. Now nearly every block properly functions and there is a extremely smooth feeling to the game compared to my first versions.
2. Instead of the bland death animation that I had I used a more elaborate capture animation. It is still simple, but functions much smoother than the original.
3. Created and completed fourth level with the help of a custom background made for the fourth level of the game. There are two bosses in this level with now THREE levels of height to the map and one of the bosses can only be reached by riding into the teleporter. There is also a dynamite package that will give you one shot to take down both bosses together.
4. Added proximity sound effect to large boss in fourth level and created cannons that can be destroyed or turned off with the secret switch.
5. Added a music preloader from one of my website projects, I had the preloader created years ago but never thought I would use it in a game.
6. Fixed all reset positions when taking damage from the world/bosses.
7. Created credits screen with level select and special unlock. It isn't easy to get, but the items start falling more frequently with the more time spent on the credits screen. The credits screen is currently getting the most attention.
8. Added two bosses for 3rd level and completed their animations, if you've seen/heard the third level of my game you can probably take a good guess as to who I used.
After everything is said and done here, I think I've improved the game a lot from where it last was. I started from an extremely small game engine so I didn't really expect much, but the game came out alright so far.
Just uploaded a new version with a couple more improvements!
1. Fixed the pipe glitch in the first two levels. Also added collision detection code to move the coins if they get put into an area that is unreachable by the player. I still need to fix this for coins that are unreachable over spike pits.
2. Added code for enemy kills. If you complete the game from level one all the way through without killing a single enemy or boss (not including the ufo, you need to drop the tnt package on top of it with precise timing) you will get an extreme bonus. This means that if you can get through the whole game and collect a bunch of coins and items without killing any enemies or bosses you will get a massive point bonus that counts towards your high score.
3. Fixed text/graphical overlap on second level boss beaten ending screen.
4. Added fireworks to the game ending/credits screen. They can be reset to be seen again by pressing the green button on the right side of the map.
5. Not particularly a improvement to the game, but I updated the making of super mitchio page with relevant information.
I need to create a door to leave the ufo in the fourth level once you have entered it and do not want to kill shredder. You can now jump over him and hit the black box above him, but I haven't created a door yet because I didn't have time and was working out bugs along the way. I also want to add a item that drops from the aliens when you kill them to get more than 10 score for each of them. I am also thinking about improving the level exit scenario for the fourth level. I don't think it is too bad now, but it isn't perfect to me. Another thing is a ranking system that will tell you how good you did at the end of the game, right now I am unsure of what a really good score is because I didn't get to play the game on easy and hard. I have been testing it on the default (medium) difficulty.
Other than that I still don't like how the breakable bricks function when hitting them or jumping on top of them because sometimes they just feel awkward or break. I don't think they're bad overall but I don't think they function as I wanted them to when I started this project.
I don't know what a high score is currently in my game, I think I got like 6000 points beating all the bosses and getting most of the coins. I didn't get to get all the coins and complete the game without killing an enemy though. I only ran through the game to make sure it worked, but it definitely does if you time the TNT/dynamite package right. So post your score and let me know how I should set up the ranking scale!
Check it out at: SUPER MITCHIO
I found a ton of bugs in it still, but overall I like it. I just hope you'll be able to fix a lot of the bugs remaining. =)
You must be logged in to post a reply!