Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Belief and Knowledge

Thread Locked

Posted Apr 5, '08 at 11:38pm

Moegreche

Moegreche

2,760 posts

Without reading anything or researching anything, I'd like to know some gut feelings on what it means to "believe" something and what it means to "know" something and what is the difference.
Let's keep this "raw" - no references to epistemological theories or philosophers, just gut reactions!

Posted Apr 5, '08 at 11:43pm

Armed_Blade

Armed_Blade

1,563 posts

"epistemological" I'm sorry, but WTFreakerz? xP

Anyway, my GUT feeling : To believe something is to essentially KNOW that it will happen, depending on how strong your faith is. You don't beleive it if you don't trust it'll come true. Therefor, To believe something is the same as knowing, Seeing is believing, and Beleiving is seeing. Thats all I have to say.

An example: I believe people went to the moon, we have rocks. After all, those rocks could be hoaxes, I do really think we were capable of landing on the moon.

From your special gut feeling processor, -Armed_Blade-. Powered by "Not so Reliant Energy! Now in your Harris county power providing service area, call now!"

Posted Apr 5, '08 at 11:44pm

Moegreche

Moegreche

2,760 posts

Okay, so you believe that belief = knowledge.  Heh, well then I guess you know that belief = knowledge :)
You also mentioned faith, which I wasn't planning on mentioning, but since you're there what is faith and how does it fit into the equation?

Posted Apr 5, '08 at 11:45pm

soulsturtle

soulsturtle

69 posts

what i think is seing isnt the only way of believing

Posted Apr 5, '08 at 11:46pm

Moegreche

Moegreche

2,760 posts

I think I see what you're saying, soulsturtle.  So belief is different for everyone, is that right?  What about knowledge, is that definition also different for everyone?

Posted Apr 5, '08 at 11:47pm

steevo15

steevo15

1,507 posts

One thing wrong with what your definition of what belief is, if you know it will happen then isn't it knowledge not belief?

I personally think that belief is having trust in something that cannot prove is there but there is possible evidence of it being there

Knowledge is something that is a fact...for example balloons exist

Posted Apr 5, '08 at 11:48pm

steevo15

steevo15

1,507 posts

what i said was to armed blade's first post up there

Posted Apr 5, '08 at 11:48pm

Moegreche

Moegreche

2,760 posts

So knowledge relates to facts - I like that.  What's a fact, though?

Posted Apr 5, '08 at 11:50pm

Strop

Strop

10,823 posts

Bwahahahahaha, how I love thee epistemology. I will not take part in this conversation >:)

...this is all part of your plan to enslave us in a Matrix, isn't it, Moe :P

Posted Apr 5, '08 at 11:50pm

XCoheedX

XCoheedX

1,061 posts

Belief is trusting that an event will occur BASED on your belief. Knowledge of course is bare facts.