ForumsWEPRBelief and Knowledge

34 7789
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Without reading anything or researching anything, I'd like to know some gut feelings on what it means to "believe" something and what it means to "know" something and what is the difference.
Let's keep this "raw" - no references to epistemological theories or philosophers, just gut reactions!

• 34 Replies
Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

Belief is probably something that refers to a controversial idea. Knowledge is something that refers to something more concrete like facts or skills.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Well, it looks like we have quite a few different views on belief and knowledge, but I came here for a definition so you guys work it out.
My suggestion would be a cage match, but let's see if we can't hammer out a solid idea of belief vs. knowledge that we can all live with

CheesyFreak
CheesyFreak
45 posts
Nomad

belief is putting your trust in something that cant be proved. to know is to have knowledge on something that can be proven and has already been proven.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Well, languages all matter on how you say them. I mean just lables, though. Even though Pluto can be labled as a planet, all it means is that whether it falls in under the defenition of planet. If I said the grass was green, then it would depend on what the defenition of green was. Then I could make a new word with the same defenition, the grass hasn't changed.

Kk, I'm on the left. I'm gonna have a hammer, engraved on it shall be my veiw on this thread. Whoever says nay shall face me in the cage match, and I shall batter them with my hammer. >

Showing 31-34 of 34