ForumsWEPRBelief and Knowledge

34 7795
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Without reading anything or researching anything, I'd like to know some gut feelings on what it means to "believe" something and what it means to "know" something and what is the difference.
Let's keep this "raw" - no references to epistemological theories or philosophers, just gut reactions!

• 34 Replies
Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Er... sorry to say this.. but counting?
Math Fact: Math is based simply on counting. Therefor, it exist because distance exists, and distance exists because our world is made by our dimensions. All stuff we know, because this stuff is obvious. So, therefor, all math is a fact. Because everyone believes in counting, I hope.

I agree with Switchfoot, if you REALLY can't hear a baloon then pop it. You'll get a nice "PURRF" of about a millisecond.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

distance exists because our world is made by our dimensions.

Oh really, now?

steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

what about an uninflated balloon? =P

Brigadier
Brigadier
51 posts
Nomad

To know something is to absolutely 100% have proof that something exists. There is no doubt about it that you know that this is completely a fact and it cannot be changed because it is 100% fact.

To believe something is to want to know something but you don't know it is a fact so you cannot know it is true. This is why Religion is a belief because there is no way to 100% know that God, Buddha, Set, Zeus, any of the Gods exist. Because there is no undeniable proof.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Leave me alone, Strop. >.> We all have our stupid posts. xP

Undeniable proof can be set out as faith. But just knowing that the balloon you set out is really just a human invention makes it sounds like balloons don't exist, the fact is that what they're made out of does.

RAWR! >.>

gnut
gnut
6 posts
Nomad

To add on to Brigadier, a stong belief is right on the dollor bill. The words "in God we trust" are somewhere on it. That bit of words meens that even though we cant see, hear, tast(thank God!) smell (agen, thank you!) or touch him, we still know he is there and we trust him with everyting we put up to him.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

No offence, but that sounded really akward. I know tasting any diety would be akward, but dun say god smells. >.>

I'll even throw in the very snippy-making sentence. [You can't see, smell, touch [without sensing] or taste air, but you simply know its their thankx to science.

gnut
gnut
6 posts
Nomad

One more thing, LET THE BALLOON THYROY DIE!!!!

WE GET THE POIENT THAT THERE WAS A BALLOON NOW LET IT GO!!!!

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Okay then, two more questions for you guys.

1) Can a belief become knowledge, and if so when does that happen?

2) Between belief and knowledge, is one "better" than another, or are they the same?

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

A belief is always knowledge, if you don't believe in something you obviously can't know its true. If your faith is strong in what you believe, you can accept it as what you know, after all you know for sure whatever you believe in "Exists".

Knowledge is more safe, reassuring, logical, and up in your face. To belieive something, even in human terms. [I'll give you a scary one, but your new husband/wife not having enough faith to believe that you love them] is hard. Therefor, it takes ALOT of knowledge, love, and belief to keep up with something as a religion. Because religions an answer to live. You've jus gotta make the call.

gnut
gnut
6 posts
Nomad

(on the last posts by Armed_Blade about my posts)
true on the science part But also thanks to science we cant figure out if pluto is a planit of not. (if you havent heard, the sicentest say that pluto is not a planit....AGAIN)

gnut
gnut
6 posts
Nomad

a blief can become a knolwede when there is enough prof to eather, A prove to everyone that it is true of B prove to YOU that it is true.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Ahahaha, sorry Armed. You realise it's because I'm looking at threads in the same order as you are, except about five or ten minutes behind, right

But seriously, that question was for everybody's edification. Not just coz I was picking on you.

I think "what is a definition" is a question we should probably reserve for later, as it comes after the fundamentals for belief and knowledge have been laid down.

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

Thats not neccesarily a fact. I knew about pluto, though, thankx. There just labeling it or defining it as what they want. I could call all humans "blargs". THey'd still be humans by fact.

Also, Gnut, major grammer problems, I have now idea WTF you said so I'm just gonna let that one slide :P

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

Are parts of language a fact, as you eluded to, Armed? "They'd still be humans by fact." So even if we decided to call them something else, they would remain "human?" Or is it just if one person changes a word.
The thing about Pluto not being called a planet, though, isn't "human" or "green" just another label, too?

Showing 16-30 of 34