Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

How would you describe color?

Thread Locked

Posted Apr 6, '08 at 12:40am

steevo15

steevo15

1,507 posts

Moe, i don't get it...are you saying that trying to describe color to a blind man would be like speaking gibberish? I'm saying this because none of those words you used to describe the colors is in the dictionary

Posted Apr 6, '08 at 12:41am

Strop

Strop

10,824 posts

ROFFLECOPTER

That was mean, Moe, hahahaha. Mean and very awesome.

Just wait a dindle while I break out the Chomsky...

Posted Apr 6, '08 at 12:44am

Moegreche

Moegreche

2,855 posts

I think describing color to anyone would be like speaking gibberish.  Honestly describing any mental state or perception just totally breaks down, in my opinion.  But I'm one of those crazy clowns who still reads Wittgenstein.

Posted Apr 6, '08 at 1:28am

Armed_Blade

Armed_Blade

1,563 posts

Whatever that is. Also, Strop, I'mma shoot your ROFFLECOPTER wif my IndestructoCopter. :P

Posted Apr 6, '08 at 1:47am

garifu

garifu

172 posts

I think words come with sensations for blind people. I mean, if your other senses are how you "view" the world, then maybe it isn't illogical to think that with a better perspective on blindness, a seeing person could describe green by using a series of words that have a particular feeling to them, or sentiment, or texture. The only problem is, we the seeing have no concept of word texture (not in the same way the blind do, unless you have synaesthesia :P) Oh, wait, yeah. Just get synaesthetics to describe green to the blind; some of them experience color through other senses anyway.

One of my classmates is a pianist with synaesthesia, and he says certain notes are connected to certain visions, be they color or image or some combination. Pretty cool.

Posted Apr 6, '08 at 1:55am

RaptorExx

RaptorExx

2,230 posts

Can someone please explain why we would be explaining colour to a blind person in the first place? If they were born blind, then they wouldn't even know that colour existed unless told about it, and I doubt they would ask since they would never see it. If they were blinded later in their life, most likely they had working eyes before they went blind and saw the colourful world around them. :O
For describing colour though, I don't know all these technical words everyone's using, but i'd probably describe the colours to what they would normally relate to, red would be a warm colour, or angry, blue would be cool and such, and so on. No doubt they'd get a good idea of what it would generally 'look' like, or it's presence would have an effect of to someone like in a painting, not general use.

Posted Apr 6, '08 at 1:56am

CheesyFreak

CheesyFreak

47 posts

wow, reading these posts hurts my head. i find it very hard to attempt to think logically :D

Posted Apr 6, '08 at 2:00am

CheesyFreak

CheesyFreak

47 posts

any way, my description of color... well, its not really a feeling, i mean, it cant be... well, colors do represent feelings to a point i suppose, but if u dont know colors exist, then how can they stand for anything? but, how can colors not exist though? i mean, what color does a blind person see? i mean, they cant see, but, that feeling has to exist somehow, doesnt it? i mean, can u imagine there being no such thing as sight?

Posted Apr 6, '08 at 2:01am

CheesyFreak

CheesyFreak

47 posts

oops i didnt mean feeling but that sense

Posted Apr 6, '08 at 2:15am

RaptorExx

RaptorExx

2,230 posts

Well, colour is made through our brain and eye's cooperation, also, you can imagine colour in your head, now you know what colour looks like, so you automatically use them, but what if you never saw colour before? The colours we see everyday are 'mandatory' for us, therefore, when someone who has never seen anything like it before, couldn't they think about it? Even perhaps imagine new colours not see-able(as they've never been exposed to the spectrum we see). I'm not saying it's possible, but then again, I'm not blind, I've seen the world, and I don't study and 'ologies' that circulate around the human neurological system and such.