ForumsWEPRHow would you describe color?

20 5301
steevo15
steevo15
1,564 posts
Peasant

First, how would you describe color to a blind man? If this is impossible how would you describe color to a person who is not blind?

• 20 Replies
CheesyFreak
CheesyFreak
45 posts
Nomad

wow, reading these posts hurts my head. i find it very hard to attempt to think logically

CheesyFreak
CheesyFreak
45 posts
Nomad

any way, my description of color... well, its not really a feeling, i mean, it cant be... well, colors do represent feelings to a point i suppose, but if u dont know colors exist, then how can they stand for anything? but, how can colors not exist though? i mean, what color does a blind person see? i mean, they cant see, but, that feeling has to exist somehow, doesnt it? i mean, can u imagine there being no such thing as sight?

CheesyFreak
CheesyFreak
45 posts
Nomad

oops i didnt mean feeling but that sense

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,204 posts
Farmer

Well, colour is made through our brain and eye's cooperation, also, you can imagine colour in your head, now you know what colour looks like, so you automatically use them, but what if you never saw colour before? The colours we see everyday are 'mandatory' for us, therefore, when someone who has never seen anything like it before, couldn't they think about it? Even perhaps imagine new colours not see-able(as they've never been exposed to the spectrum we see). I'm not saying it's possible, but then again, I'm not blind, I've seen the world, and I don't study and 'ologies' that circulate around the human neurological system and such.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Correct, Raptor, this actually leads into the discussion on what knowledge (especially experiential) is. As for saying that one could think about knowledge...my reply to this is to recommend reading up the Searle's Chinese Room thought experiment.

Garifu, ten internetz for you for mentioning synesthesia. The way we experience our senses, and the way that sensory information makes its way around our brain is really not the same!

Also: the words we use to describe experiences are not real in themselves!

Showing 16-20 of 20