ForumsWEPRParallel Universes

37 9087
hojoko
hojoko
510 posts
Peasant

I just was wondering what people thought about the theory of parallel universes. The theory states that there are infinite parallel universes where a different decision was made that changed following events. Also, I think the term might be better called Parallel Multiverses.

• 37 Replies
Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

I believe in it sort of but unlike some people do I dont think we can travel in between them.

hojoko
hojoko
510 posts
Peasant

If we make it far enough, we might be able to, and also, according to a theory of Einsteins, we should be able to.

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

I just think it sound a little crazy. If we are able to it would be cool but it will also take a long time to figure out how to do.(if possible in the first place)

Crunk88
Crunk88
123 posts
Nomad

I dont know really, im not sure if we will ever be able to go into another universe. To say that it hold a different time is unbelievable. Although Einstein said that space and time was conjoined and space was overlapping.

turkishmaniaca
turkishmaniaca
155 posts
Nomad

That is really really wierd...didnt think of it like that...but i dont no..God said "the Heavens". Maybe its real. I was thinking about the burmuda triangle though.

Brigadier
Brigadier
51 posts
Nomad

It's a puzzling mystery no doubt about it. It's hard to wrap your brain around it. It's interesting but until we have some more knowledge on the theory of alternative dimensions then there isn't much to discuss.

While it is cool to dream about it, if we would travel there it could cause chaos over here because changing an alternative world would change our world correct?

If we did reach a Parallel universe we would have a hard time adapting. Many things would be different and it would be rough for us to adapt.

Like Strategy_guy said. It does sound a little crazy but it is possible.

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

I don't think it would change things here becuase supposedly, and I'm not sure this is correct, parallel universe's don't have to deal with each other when they break apart to the two different universes. If that makes any sense I'll be surprised.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

There is evidence that supports the existence of parallel universes... but I don't know about it. Still, if they DO exist... I don't know. Read up on string theory and you'll see what I'm talking about with the first part of what I said.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

The idea of a multiverse is presented in order to deal with some effects of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle and conservation of information (energy). I can go into greater detail if needed, but I was just discussing this in another thread.

hojoko
hojoko
510 posts
Peasant

Acctually, could you go into greater detail?

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

Or give us the threads name and the page number where you went over it? This dissucssion is very interesting to me.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

I don't remember the thread, but here's the basic idea.
The are particles that can have certain states - you could call them "on" or "off" if you want to, it doesn't matter. These particles behave as if they were in both states until they are observed - at which point they "make up their mind" and stick to one certain state. The problem comes in that half of their previous behavior now cannot be explained, so we have lost information. Some theories postulate that when this flux happens, another part of this multiverse is created where the particle would've picked the other state.
With this type of multiverse, we're talking about quantum level fluctuations in differences so there would be so many different facets of a multiverse, well it just isn't comprehensible.
So to this about a multiverse where, for example, the Cubs won the world series last year, doesn't really apply when such fundamental changes are happening to the universe.

Strategy_guy
Strategy_guy
290 posts
Nomad

Ummmm do you have a simpler way to explain it for a 15 yr old whos failing science class?

Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,492 posts
Shepherd

No, you'll have to pass. :P

Theres a problem with parallel universes. If someone wanted you to go deep into the heart of science, you would notice a changing factor: Time. Time, I think, is something that can't be defined. Its the thing that changes things, but doesn't change itself. The defentition of time in the dictionary seems akward. It looks like it just exists to move things. But if space exists and time movies it, then theres a reason there is space. and with all this we have the idea that if we can crack through space we can alter time. Like we did with nature. After all, long ago, paving the streets with cements and being able to kill dangerous animal from long range was either super hard or impossible.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

That's intriguing Armed, but I wonder how "real" time is. I mean, we simply use it to measure things relative to our own experience. I know some fundamental theorems have it intricately linked with space, but if there is a causal relationship (I don't think there is one) it seems like you might have it backwards. Which leads me to think even more strongly that time is really quite arbitrary since it's certainly not clear and distinct the causal relationship between time and anything else.

I'll try to simplify my explanation of a multiverse. The idea is that information can't be lost. The Conservation of Energy says that energy can't be created or destroyed. So, if you turn on your oven and then later it cools off, the heat didn't disappear, it just went other places. Information could be considered a type of energy (or matter, which still applies) and so it has to follow the same rules. If that particle was behaving 2 different ways and then switched like nothing ever happened, then information was lost. To fix this in comes the idea of a multiverse, where there is another universe where the particle would have switched the other way. If it was "on" in this universe, then it would be "off" in another.
The multiverse thing also helps to explain certain other phenomena, but I haven't really read that deeply into the theory so I'm scared of explaining it incorrectly.

Showing 1-15 of 37