ForumsArt, Music, and WritingFireflyIV's Fusion Graffiti

38 8513
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Hello there.

For those of you unfamiliar with my work, go here to see what you are getting yourself into.

All set? You better because this is going to be one hell of an audio-visual extravaganza.

The idea is pretty straightforward. I listen to a song (chosen by another, who I'll reveal shortly), and have 20 minutes to sketch a piece, and then post the results here. Simples.

Not exactly a groundbreaking premise, but as I shall explain, it does have a deeper resonance for graffiti artists. The legend who came up with this is an old friend of mine - Banos, who I used to bomb tubes with. His reasoning behind it was thus:

''Any piece that any writer does is a self portrait; it tells me what's going on in their head, and aesthetically how far they are willing to push their piece.''

Now Banos, as well as being an excellent artist, is also a great believer in experimentation. In that vein, he has decided to study the effect that music has on your mood, and consequently the work you produce. He's been emailing a few of the other lads from way back in the day, and requesting we listen to pieces of music chosen by him, and email him the pieces we produce. He then collates this and sees if any patterns emerge.

You may think this is a pointless exercise, but any graffiti writer will tell you that your mindset has a great bearing on the quality of the work you churn out, and I for one am very interested to see the results of his little study.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I've got that over with, now for the art/music fusion.

The first piece of music chosen was Japan by Plastician. Some light London dubstep for you to enjoy.

This is the piece I produced after listening to the music:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6876/scan0001w.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------

In case the image doesn't come out, here's direct link to it.

Of course the purpose of this piece is for a quasi-scientific study, however that doesn't mean we can't have a laff discussing it's demerits and merits (and those of the subsequent pieces which will be produced over the coming weeks).

Anyway, enjoy!

• 38 Replies
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

All right, let's see how you fare with this tune.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Here you go alt. Entitled, 'Gods at war'. Why? Not really sure tbh, but it just feels right for this piece and for the music you provided.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/6710/godsatwar.jpg

Back up link.

------

The next song has been chosen by Banos and I am well on my way to completing the complimentary piece. It is much in the same style as my first piece, although I the colour scheme and character involved are very different. Meh, you'll see for yourself tomorrow. For now, sleep.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Seeing a production like that(because that would count as a production, right? Maybe just a piece?) on a wall while I was in the city would be undescribably cool.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Cheers, I think this is a piece that would look much better in krylons than in ink, as I could add many more fades, so I may just bomb it if I have the time and post the results, but don't hold me to that.

because that would count as a production, right?

A production is a very large piece, and by definition pretty much has to be drawn by a crew. There are exceptions due to scale, although this isn't one.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Apologies for the terrible edit done by what appears to be a genuine internet noob. At least the track's there and I know it's not likely to be taken down.

Fort Minor- Cigarettes is a favourite of mine. I have a very specific intention with regards to its setting, but wonder what you'll come up with!

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I have a very specific intention with regards to its setting, but wonder what you'll come up with!

Does this happen tp have something to do with the LA themed graphic novel, you had planned to come up with as discussed in my old thread?

Interesting beat. I hope I shan't disappoint. Apologies for the long delay in getting out the pieces, but I've had some issues with my scanner. (I really should get a new one, mine is about 6 years old!)

I think I have fixed it for the time being, and will work on your piece tonight, and then post both your request and my reply to Banos' tune tomorrow when I'm done with that. Til then.
chitown
chitown
1,615 posts
Farmer

uh i guess that is good, i mean i could not draw like that.:P

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Cheers.

@ Strop, my scanner is in a coma at the moment, so until that's fixed won't be much on the art front. So, um, yea.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Does this happen tp have something to do with the LA themed graphic novel, you had planned to come up with as discussed in my old thread?

Bwahahahaha not this time, no. It's based on a concept I was working on with Klaushouse actually. Starring this character.

But it could be!
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Shweet.

If Fox McCloud had a wife, that would be her. If you get that reference, then you are as sad as I am.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

If Fox McCloud had a wife, that would be her. If you get that reference, then you are as sad as I am.

Dude, everybody knows Fox's wife is Krystal!
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Dude, everybody knows Fox's wife is Krystal!

Lol. I knew they fell in love and she joined the crew, but I'm fairly certain they never tied the knot. Either way, the fact we are talking about this means you might have played Lylat Wars, or Star Fox Adventures at the very least. Most definitely win. There seem to be so few Star Fox fans out there.
Bjiscuit
Bjiscuit
610 posts
Nomad

There seem to be so few Star Fox fans out there.

Falco is always an arse durring those games. "Hurry up, fox!" whine whine whine, annoys the hell outa me =/
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Falco is always an arse durring those games. "Hurry up, fox!" whine whine whine, annoys the hell outa me =/

Lol so true. He's not so rude when he's begging for you to get enemies off of his tail though. Bloody falcons. They're all the same.
Bjiscuit
Bjiscuit
610 posts
Nomad

I think im going to go play my N64 now then some cube

*grabs smash bro's and gamecube* heeere falco ;P

Showing 1-15 of 38