ForumsArt, Music, and WritingFireflyIV's Fusion Graffiti

38 8530
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Hello there.

For those of you unfamiliar with my work, go here to see what you are getting yourself into.

All set? You better because this is going to be one hell of an audio-visual extravaganza.

The idea is pretty straightforward. I listen to a song (chosen by another, who I'll reveal shortly), and have 20 minutes to sketch a piece, and then post the results here. Simples.

Not exactly a groundbreaking premise, but as I shall explain, it does have a deeper resonance for graffiti artists. The legend who came up with this is an old friend of mine - Banos, who I used to bomb tubes with. His reasoning behind it was thus:

''Any piece that any writer does is a self portrait; it tells me what's going on in their head, and aesthetically how far they are willing to push their piece.''

Now Banos, as well as being an excellent artist, is also a great believer in experimentation. In that vein, he has decided to study the effect that music has on your mood, and consequently the work you produce. He's been emailing a few of the other lads from way back in the day, and requesting we listen to pieces of music chosen by him, and email him the pieces we produce. He then collates this and sees if any patterns emerge.

You may think this is a pointless exercise, but any graffiti writer will tell you that your mindset has a great bearing on the quality of the work you churn out, and I for one am very interested to see the results of his little study.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I've got that over with, now for the art/music fusion.

The first piece of music chosen was Japan by Plastician. Some light London dubstep for you to enjoy.

This is the piece I produced after listening to the music:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6876/scan0001w.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------

In case the image doesn't come out, here's direct link to it.

Of course the purpose of this piece is for a quasi-scientific study, however that doesn't mean we can't have a laff discussing it's demerits and merits (and those of the subsequent pieces which will be produced over the coming weeks).

Anyway, enjoy!

• 38 Replies
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

I still have the cube, but my younger brother has the N64. Lucky so and so. Lylat Wars is infinitely better than Star Fox Adventures, as good as that game was.

jdoggparty
jdoggparty
5,860 posts
Nomad

Can I pick the next song? It will be whichever one I'm listening to

I still have the cube, but my younger brother has the N64. Lucky so and so. Lylat Wars is infinitely better than Star Fox Adventures, as good as that game was.

I've got one too ^^)
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

fact we are talking about this means you might have played Lylat Wars

I have. Actually I've played Star Fox for SNES, but same diff. Since I never owned a console, I never played the RPG stuff which featured Krystal. She's just her own internet niche (one which I advise most of you never to look for):

http://myspace.roflposters.com/images/rofl/myspace/1214360745548.jpg.%5Broflposters.com%5D.myspace.jpg

Slightly unrelated, but FALCOOOOOON PUNCH!

I spent too much time on the internet.

p.s. I used to like using Falco in SSBB solely because his rushing flame easily got me out of tight spots. Then I discovered King Dedede's hammer uppercut.
Bjiscuit
Bjiscuit
610 posts
Nomad

i have never played brawl... i want to sooo badly. =(

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Can I pick the next song? It will be whichever one I'm listening to

If you want to, but bear in mind, my scanner is screwed up right now, so don't expect an update any time soon.

I have. Actually I've played Star Fox for SNES, but same diff. Since I never owned a console, I never played the RPG stuff which featured Krystal

It was a very good game, to my surprise. I thought moving it from a shooter to an RPG would be the butchering of the franchise.

Slightly unrelated,

You kidding, this is AMW!

I spent too much time on the internet.

That is pure win.

p.s. I used to like using Falco in SSBB solely because his rushing flame easily got me out of tight spots. Then I discovered King Dedede's hammer uppercut.

Incidently, I nearly always used Link, as he was a good balance between strength and speed. As much as I love them, the Star Fox characters were a bit too flimsy for my liking.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Ugh . . . you guys are giving me nostalgia attacks with talk of Krystal(who btw can't enjoy her crystal)

Star Fox Adventures was one of the first games I ever played on my gamecube . . . seven years ago . . . .

Also, is it just me or is Leon Powalski probably one of those people who rule 34s stuff for lulz on /b/?

I always used Roy in melee, and Tink in Brawl because they're the best, lol.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Leon Powalski probably one of those people who rule 34s stuff for lulz on /b/

When I'm off-duty and still on internet land, strop lurks on forums susceptible to trolling by /b/tards. Then when one comes along, he goes... troll-hunting!

King Dedede rules btw. Not least because I was a massive Kirby fan back in the days of Kirby's Dreamland.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Not least because I was a massive Kirby fan back in the days of Kirby's Dreamland.

Such a game.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Kirby was a great series in the 16-bit era . . . .

But my fave will always be LoZ. Oracle of Ages and Ocarina of Time are some of the best games EVAR. Link to the Past is also awesome.

When I'm off-duty and still on internet land, strop lurks on forums

So you are not Strop? Whoooo aaaaarrrrrreeeee yoooooouuuuuuuuuu?

You know how picky I am when it comes to semantics >:3
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

You know how picky I am when it comes to semantics >:3

Go back to school and read some Caesar, kid!

So you are not Strop? Whoooo aaaaarrrrrreeeee yoooooouuuuuuuuuu?

I am Anonymous.
Bjiscuit
Bjiscuit
610 posts
Nomad

But my fave will always be LoZ. Oracle of Ages and Ocarina of Time are some of the best games EVAR. Link to the Past is also awesome.

Woot for having collectors edition which has all those on it, i have every "good" legend of zelda game
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

OOT was probably my favourite. Except for the water temple. Having to take those boots on and off all the bloody time. It was maddeining. I read an interview of the level designer for the OOT temples, and when asked if he had any regrets, he said,'the water temple. I'm so sorry to all the players who got frustrated taking the iron boots on and off'. I was reading it on the tube, and I was this close to shouting at the page, but then I realised it's sacrosanct to make any noise on public transport in the UK. British reservation and all that.

Anyways, I digress. With regards to the actual art, that is forthcoming. I've completed Strop's request, and am now moving onto Bano's next choice of song, (sorry Bjisuit, but official, thread related art takes preference). So yea, now I'll be operating on a first come first serve basis, after having completed official pieces first from now on. Just a heads up. Oh, and my scanner is in the process of being repaired by a techie mate of mine, but depending on how much he goes out this weekend, the date at which I'll be able to start posting pics again will vary.

Safe.
Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

Safe.

YOU FARTED >:O
Darkroot
Darkroot
2,763 posts
Peasant

Strop I think you ruined all games that have animals in them for me. At least for a month. Now that I think about why do I even know about that.

I also love how off topic this is.

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

YOU FARTED >:O

Lol. 'Safe', where I come from, means a variety of things, but in this context,'eace out', is probably the most accurate. 'Safety', would be if I farted
Showing 16-30 of 38