ForumsWEPRDoes it really matter....

68 12878
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Does it really matter...if there really is a god?

Would you all decide to do horrible things and change your life drastically if there was solid proof that there was no god?

Would you all decide to become perfect people and change your life drastically if there was solid proof that there was a god?

My point is this: Should the existence of a god matter when it comes to how you live day-to-day? Would that much really change?
If there was a god, do you think that it would want you to change who you are just to please it?
And if there is no god would you really feel the need to throw caution to the wind and do as you please, knowing that there were no repercussions after you die?

Shouldn't we all, as intelligent beings, know what is right and wrong regardless of a higher power potentially watching over us?
Shouldn't we all, as intelligent beings, do what we know is right just because we can tell the difference?
Shouldn't we all, as intelligent beings, be beyond the point of caring about being watched and judged by an unseen being...and live out shorts lives as best as we can?

Does it really matter...if there was not really a god?

• 68 Replies
hojoko
hojoko
510 posts
Peasant

No. But the problem is there is no solid proof, so nothing will change until then. See thread Is God Real?

Grimlok
Grimlok
154 posts
Nomad

If there was no God... I wouldn't think twice about killing someone. Robbing someone.. Raping someone. Whatever. I would live only for myself. I know it sounds mean but... I honestly would.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

You have a point, man. But with that in mind, the only way order is maintained is through the system of government most nations have established, to keep bad folks in Jail, and maintain law and order for the rest, etc. It took us many centuries to cobble together a working system (at least mostly working...) so I think if you took out religion and "the all seeing eye" too soon, as in before the many revolutions of the 18th centuries, we'd all be F'ed.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

heh heh, I meant century, not centuries... :S

Grimlok
Grimlok
154 posts
Nomad

If there was no God... Who would manage Heaven and Hell? And yeah, with laws and jail there I probably wouldn't... But if there was complete Anarchy. No laws Godly or earthly then I'd have no sceond thoughts.

hojoko
hojoko
510 posts
Peasant

Well, he thing is, If there was no god, then I would try to make a god appear to exist, because the thought of god keeps order.

Grimlok
Grimlok
154 posts
Nomad

But I never feel bad about anything.

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

If there were no God, there would be no reason to not do anything wrong. Also, there would be no life on this earth, in my opinion, since I find evolution to be a load of crap.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

The whole point of this is not to argure whether or not a god exists. At all.

The point is to make you all question whether or not, based on which side of the fence you live on, you would change your life if the opposite of your beliefs was proven to be true. Or if, regardless of the truth, you should change who you are and how you act.

Avrilicious
Avrilicious
525 posts
Peasant

Yes I guess it does if there was no God thered would be no world.You should be thankful of your life.

bullfroggy5
bullfroggy5
33 posts
Nomad

If there was no God, then I would still care, even if Heaven or hell did not exist as well. It would not matter or change the way I act at all, for your point of knowing what is right and wrong i already know. However, if there was no start or culture to grow up in, who decides what is right or wrong? therefore, a God is needed for us to tell ourselves what can or cannot be done.

bullfroggy5
bullfroggy5
33 posts
Nomad

you guys should listen to devoidless, the point of this forum is to decide if you would act differently with solid knowledge of if there is or is not a God.

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

If I thought there was no God, I would probably be a horrible person. Honestly. If evolution were real, I would not have the conscience I do today.

bullfroggy5
bullfroggy5
33 posts
Nomad

hmm, interesting theory switchfoot.
But I have to ask, what about those who are in jail and end up coming out smarter and having more of a grip on their life? It does happen.
Still, I think you are right in saying without the facts their straight, we tend to try to act better, just in case.

vindacation
vindacation
49 posts
Nomad

course it matters if God exists(which he does). If he didn't, well, first of all, we would NOT exist at all!!!!!!!!! well, i could continue but that pretty much sums it all up....

Showing 1-15 of 68