ForumsWEPR[redirected]If God created all things

1849 255373
DrCool1
DrCool1
210 posts
Bard

Here is something to get the brain going. It's been said that God created ALL things. Also it's been said that God is 100 precent pure/good. So God created man and it was said that because of man's sinful actions bad/evil things were created. But if God created ALL things then God created bad/evil things, not man. So by God creating bad/evil things this does not make him 100 precent pure/good.

• 1,849 Replies
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Jk, though I know I'll catch a lot of flak for that one.

Don't worry, the people whose opinions you should care about here wouldn't give you crap for remarks like that.

Not until you admit that God isn't real.

High-five for being as close-minded as they are. -_-

Seriously though, remarks like that are what give Christians such distorted views of atheism.

Buddhism, and I mean ORIGINAL Buddhism can be considered a philosophy.

By 'original,' do you mean the warlike Chinese/Japanese Buddhists of a few thousand years ago or the peaceful Mahayana Buddhists?

. . . just doing my hourly fact-check. Carry on . . . .
pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

Don't worry, the people whose opinions you should care about here wouldn't give you crap for remarks like that.

Now THAT I can believe in.
By 'original,' do you mean the warlike Chinese/Japanese Buddhists of a few thousand years ago or the peaceful Mahayana Buddhists?

I was actually thinking more of the Thera Vada Buddhists, as they don't necessarily believe that Siddhartha Gautama was turned into any kind of god, they're just peace and all that (crap... AP World History is already starting to wear off, it took way too long to remember that). But you can also roll back even further to Gautama himself.
roman291
roman291
54 posts
Peasant

I think he means the Buddhism before it separated into the Asian nations.

Not until you admit that God isn't real.

I hope you are being sarcastic. People are entitled to have their own beliefs.

Unless you're assuming that atheism is better than Christianity, in that case, kindly GTFO!!

You don't have to say that so offensively. But I agree with you somewhat. I believe no religion is better than the other. I also believe all major religions have some truth in them.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Mage, you are a very logical person and you are very open minded. In fact, you don't work with trivial morals, you work with facts. You're a rarer breed of person, and you must understand that what it takes to persuade you is vastly different than what it takes to persuade others.

Kudos to mage, but I'm hurt that Nemo only picked one guy X(

Doesn't it go the other way around? I mean if you are atheist you don't exactly believe in anything but if you're Christian you at least believe in something...

Going with what BeastMode said. Christians believe in God, and Atheists believe in no gods. And then you have me, which believes true happiness is obtained by destroying envy and jealousy.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I was actually thinking more of the Thera Vada Buddhists, as they don't necessarily believe that Siddhartha Gautama was turned into any kind of god, they're just peace and all that (crap... AP World History is already starting to wear off, it took way too long to remember that). But you can also roll back even further to Gautama himself.

Ah.

Did you know that the postmodern interpretation of many schools of Mahayana Buddhism teach to not trust the mass media, but it was a Chinese Mahayana dynasty that invented the mass media? Just a little fun fact.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I also believe all major religions have some truth in them.

I thought that myself for a while, and after spending quite a bit of time trying to put the pieces together it all just ended up making about as much sense as any one religion.
pHacon
pHacon
1,903 posts
Nomad

Of course they all have truth, but what truth they do have is easily observable outside of the religion as well.

roman291
roman291
54 posts
Peasant

[quote I thought that myself for a while, and after spending quite a bit of time trying to put the pieces together it all just ended up making about as much sense as any one religion.[/quote]

I also thought that too, but I say I'm pretty indecisive person, especially when it comes to religion. I don't have a set religion.

snazzy777
snazzy777
739 posts
Nomad

Each religion has a set of beliefs that one follows. Each religion requires faith, so in essence, faith is the root of man religions.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Each religion has a set of beliefs that one follows. Each religion requires faith, so in essence, faith is the root of man religions.

There in lays one of the major problems with religion. faith is believing without proof, doing this is irrational. So if the very basis of religion is irrational then religion itself is at best irrational.
adios194
adios194
818 posts
Nomad

There in lays one of the major problems with religion. faith is believing without proof, doing this is irrational. So if the very basis of religion is irrational then religion itself is at best irrational.

If it is at best irrational then it must be real. If we relate religion to math and replace one with the other then your statement means that one there are multiple true real religions. , lol, btw i'm sorry for using wiki.
adios194
adios194
818 posts
Nomad

that one there are multiple true real religions

Take out the one.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

If it is at best irrational then it must be real.

Umm . . . what? Irrational = not real, unless you're talking about math. Which is why saying that

If we relate religion to math and replace one with the other then your statement means that one there are multiple true real religions

is completely nonsensical and fallacious, and an invalid statement.

I really hope you were joking . . . . :P
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

If it is at best irrational then it must be real. If we relate religion to math and replace one with the other then your statement means that one there are multiple true real religions.

Yeah, that's called equivocation, and it's an informal fallacy. An irrational belief is not the same thing as an irrational number. An irrational belief is one that (simply put) one is not justified in believing. An irrational number is one that (again, simply put) cannot be expressed as a fraction.
adios194
adios194
818 posts
Nomad

unless you're talking about math

I am.
I really hope you were joking . . . . :P

I was.
Showing 781-795 of 1849