ForumsWEPR[redirected]If God created all things

1849 255220
DrCool1
DrCool1
210 posts
Bard

Here is something to get the brain going. It's been said that God created ALL things. Also it's been said that God is 100 precent pure/good. So God created man and it was said that because of man's sinful actions bad/evil things were created. But if God created ALL things then God created bad/evil things, not man. So by God creating bad/evil things this does not make him 100 precent pure/good.

• 1,849 Replies
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Samy, you'll agree with me if you take the time to read the wikipedia article on logic.

"Sigh"

I'll be back..oh screw that it'd Saturday. What section so you want me to read?
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

What section so you want me to read?

The whole thing.

Also, this.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Seriously? I have other things to do like, not read it.

Also on the answers thing the first poster after the best answer seems to agree with me..ish.

Either way I'm taking philosophy in a couple months so I can answer the question for sure then.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

I think I'll jump on board this logic arguement. And I'm going to defend Samy here seeing as thisisnotanalt is making little to no sense from where I stand. So let me make this simple, and I think this is what samy is getting at. Two people can have the same problem, and they can come to two seperate conclusions because both arrive at seperate but LOGICAL answers from their own perspectives.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Also on the answers thing the first poster after the best answer seems to agree with me..ish.

. . . sorta.

Anyway, another post a bit below phrases it nicely - logic is not a thing, it is a function - it is the function used to turn facts into conclusions. It is empirical in the sense that it is not subjected to our thoughts, and is therefore objective of our feelings, observations, etc. And also, like what somebody else said, if you're anything but an existentialist or a metaphysical empiricist, logic is objective. Meaning that in almost all philosophies, and when concerning science, it is objective.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I think I just had an epiphany! I know why you, (collectively) keep asking the same questions. You're still making God into a human.

No I'm holding God to a higher standard. The problem is he's not even reaching human standards in most cases, let alone what should be expected of a supreme being claiming to be all loving and perfect.

You think that every battle is on the bloody battle field?

No but I wasn't referring to feeling dead inside I was speaking of physical death. If I remember the passage correctly it specifies that you are to burn a witch to death. This hardly sounds like it's referring to a spiritual death to me. Also this is just one example where God commands to kill. There are plenty of others examples in the Bible of God commanding physical death to a great many people even assisting in the slaughter.

Oh, and Mage, you must have understood the verses from Hebrews because you haven't said a word about them.

I didn't see any point to them so I didn't say anything.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

I think I'll jump on board this logic arguement. And I'm going to defend Samy here seeing as thisisnotanalt is making little to no sense from where I stand. So let me make this simple, and I think this is what samy is getting at. Two people can have the same problem, and they can come to two seperate conclusions because both arrive at seperate but LOGICAL answers from their own perspectives.

There can be more than one logical conclusion - and it is possible that because of their different opinions or perspectives, they can choose a different logical conclusion. It doesn't mean that the logic they use is different. I think you and samy are assuming that there can only be one logical conclusion to a problem, or that there are multiple logics, but what I'm saying is that there is one logic that can lead to multiple logical conclusions to the same problem.

Make sense now?
wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

I remember something my religion teacher told me once. God is loving, but he is a jealous god so we MUST obey him. This sounds pretty human to me. Also, when it says we were made in god's image many refer to that as a PHYSICAL image, but what if it actually means an emotional and psychological make up as well? And since god is omnipotent and all that each person reflects a different image of god.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Two people can have the same problem, and they can come to two seperate conclusions because both arrive at seperate but LOGICAL answers from their own perspectives.

Then logic would dictate there is a problem somewhere. We can then go back look for errors in the people's perspectives or new facts that might have been missed.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

Make sense now?

Well yes because that was my point the entire time. =.=

God is loving, but he is a jealous god so we MUST obey him.

The first part is definitely correct (loving but jealous) however he wants us to love him before we obey him if that makes sense.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

The first part is definitely correct (loving but jealous) however he wants us to love him before we obey him if that makes sense.

What's God doing with a human failing like jealousy? Also saying that I'm going to go to a place where I'll be tortured for eternity if I don't obey isn't really winning brownie points in the love department. I would say that is closer to trying to get someone to obey you through fear.
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Then logic would dictate there is a problem somewhere. We can then go back look for errors in the people's perspectives or new facts that might have been missed.

Pretty much, yeah. But I was giving the example assuming that both people were not erroneous in their decision.
samy
samy
4,871 posts
Nomad

What's God doing with a human failing like jealousy?

Actually wolf just answered that in saying that our emotions are from God. So we have a godlike emotion not the other way around.

Also saying that I'm going to go to a place where I'll be tortured for eternity if I don't obey isn't really winning brownie points in the love department.

Do you have scripture to back this up? If not I'm going to have to assume that your just basing this off what others have said (not that I'm blaming you).
thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Well yes because that was my point the entire time. =.=

So . . . the entire time, you were saying that logic isn't necessarily subjective? -_-

My point is that logic is objective, but can yield more than one logical conclusion to the same problem, and people's perspectives can affect which logical conclusion they elect to act on.
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

No but I wasn't referring to feeling dead inside I was speaking of physical death. If I remember the passage correctly it specifies that you are to burn a witch to death. This hardly sounds like it's referring to a spiritual death to me. Also this is just one example where God commands to kill. There are plenty of others examples in the Bible of God commanding physical death to a great many people even assisting in the slaughter.

I totally misunderstood you the first time, and this question didn't sound familiar then and I still can't recall any scripture on it, witches, that is. Regardless, the passages in Hebrews that I mentioned describes God's wrath and how believers and non believers are judged before being put to death. Do I think this is a contradiction of an all-loving God?
No, I don't.
To me the Bible is clear and makes perfect since to me, now. When I was in my rebellious years, the Bible always contradicted itself.

Let's agree to disagree.

There can be more than one logical conclusion - and it is possible that because of their different opinions or perspectives, they can choose a different logical conclusion. It doesn't mean that the logic they use is different. I think you and samy are assuming that there can only be one logical conclusion to a problem, or that there are multiple logics, but what I'm saying is that there is one logic that can lead to multiple logical conclusions to the same problem.

Crystal clear to me.
Showing 1021-1035 of 1849