Forums

ForumsPopular Media

"M.B.W.C." : the Metal Bands World Cup!

Posted Nov 17, '11 at 5:34pm

delossantosj

delossantosj

5,311 posts

Lol. First, Iron Maiden is not Power Metal. I cannot stress this enough. They sound nothing like Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, or Stratovarius. (All examples of real Power Metal.) Their vocalist sounds like an angry castrato with emphysema, their drumming is pretty much on an infinite loop, they have poor, generic riffs, their guitar solos are unmentionable, and the stereotypical invisible, mediocre bass. Their overall sound is... just weak. Light and slow. They're almost as overrated as Marilyn Manson. And, trust me, it's hard to get the gap that close.

haha i never said i was a fan of iron maiden, im really not. but heres the difference between iron maiden and marilyn manson, iron maiden did it and EVERYTHING first. iron maiden is what really spawned the sort of power metal that is today. if it wasnt for maiden, power metal wouldnt exist

Posted Nov 18, '11 at 4:25am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,851 posts

Knight

They might have influenced lots of power metal bands, but they aren't power metal. They're traditional heavy metal. For example, Bruce was one of the pioneers of the operatic vocal style later to be adopted by power metal vocalists, but IM's music was not power metal.

But IM is definitely metal.

Posted Nov 19, '11 at 5:50pm

LamprimOF

LamprimOF

2 posts

Hi. Pantera. Dimebag reminds me of Dave the Snake. RIP Dime.

Posted Nov 19, '11 at 5:51pm

LamprimOF

LamprimOF

2 posts

Hi. Pantera. Dimebag reminds me of Dave the Snake. RIP Dime.

Posted Nov 20, '11 at 8:30pm

susilo

susilo

91 posts

metallica is the best...
every metallica songs like a blood in my body...

sorry if my english teribble.. i still learning...

Posted Nov 20, '11 at 11:22pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,851 posts

Knight

metallica is the best...
every metallica songs like a blood in my body...

sorry if my english teribble.. i still learning.

Read the OP please. The current battle is between Pantera and Masterdon. Choose one.

Posted Nov 24, '11 at 8:43am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

7,800 posts

Good to see that more votes keep coming in, even the anticipated vote for Mastodon! *grin* ;)

And I have to mix myself here in the discussion about whether or not Iron Maiden belongs in the Metal genre... short answer would be: They definitely do! But to elaborate a little more, since some are not persuaded yet, here's the official metal tree with Iron Maiden mentioned under 'New Wave of British Heavy Metal' (1979 - 1983)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b7/Metal_Genealogy.jpg/612px-Metal_Genealogy.jpg

More information about the whole Metal genre can be found in this Wikipedia article about the DVD documentary "Metal: A Headbanger's Journey".
There...

Now on with the competition!!!

@ LamprimOF : I counted your vote this time, but your reasoning is too thin. Make sure you add an obligatory elaborated reasoning for the next vote you state, ok? =)

@ susilo : You voted for Metallica, but this band is not featured in the current battle, which is between Pantera and Mastodon, so please vote for one of these two contestants with a reasoning, thanx! ;)

The vote count shows an extended lead for Pantera! They sure took off without looking back... O.o

# 1/2 Final B :

6 - Pantera
1 - Mastodon

Let's keep them votes coming people! The more the merrier!! =D

Posted Nov 28, '11 at 8:33pm

numino

numino

217 posts

Wat asinine made this :( the bands are barely close to metal, this is a mockery to REAL metal

Posted Nov 28, '11 at 8:40pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,851 posts

Knight

Wat asinine made this :( the bands are barely close to metal, this is a mockery to REAL metal

Point out a few that aren't, and then tell us what metal is. Or are you stating something without evidence?

Posted Nov 29, '11 at 9:29am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

7,800 posts

I second nichodemus in this... we're always open for discussion here numino, but you have to present arguments to build your statement upon! =)

And if you come up with suggestions for bands to be part of next year's competition, be sure to let us know, we're always open for suggestions you know! ;)

Reply to "M.B.W.C." : the Metal Bands World Cup!

You must be logged in to post a reply!