Forums

ForumsPopular Media

"M.B.W.C." : the Metal Bands World Cup!

Posted Jun 2, '12 at 6:34pm

ihsahn

ihsahn

431 posts

All art is subjective as you mentioned. I can like one band over the other, and so can you.

Again, to each his own. Similarly to you saying rap is just ''talking'', death metal is ''screaming'' to others. So, hush and don't pour scorn over others' taste.

Oh you can like whatever you want, that's personal taste, but there are objective factors to artistic integrity. Art may be subjective, but only if it's art - creative - and not formulaic product like 99% of metalcore bands.
Like the ones you mentioned.
Do rock out to whatever the hell you want, it's your life and your fun, I was just expressing my contempt for empty music, which I can and will do. It's not like I don't like some shallow stuff myself. Call me out if you like.

And I was actually being sarcastic with my comment on rapping, which I didn't mean, lampooning how ignorant you sounded when you said "death metal is screaming if you don't care about the riffs", I might as well have said that singing is talking if you don't hear the melody, or that movies are moving colors if you ignore the action. But I see you didn't get it.

You don't separate the elements, they were presented together. It's like when stupid people say that oh the Beatles had such stupid lyrics, they just repeat "let it be" a thousand times. It doesn't matter. You're not reading a poem, you're listening to a song. Other factors are at play.
Dislike death metal all you want, just admit it's personal taste and not some fault the genre itself doesn't possess. There's stuff out there I can't listen to but can recognize the artistic value, in theory.

Posted Jun 3, '12 at 3:59am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,835 posts

Knight

Art may be subjective, but only if it's art - creative - and not formulaic product like 99% of metalcore bands.

Again disagree. I can tell the difference between metalcore bands; to me they are not formulaic. It all sounds formulaic because they're all of the same genre, and all genres have something in common. Saying Attack Attack! with their electronic sound, sounds similar to Atreyu does them no justice because they can be distinct.

Likewise, to many, death metal sounds the same and formulaic. They're all highly technical when you examine them, but the result to the vast majority is primitive screaming and noise distortion, which makes them ''formulai''

And I was actually being sarcastic with my comment on rapping, which I didn't mean, lampooning how ignorant you sounded when you said "death metal is screaming if you don't care about the riffs", I might as well have said that singing is talking if you don't hear the melody, or that movies are moving colors if you ignore the action. But I see you didn't get it.

There was no sense of sarcasm at all when you mentioned rapping was like talking with music. None whatsoever.

Posted Jun 16, '12 at 1:43am

xvio

xvio

2 posts

idk about this metal but i personally dont listen to anything but doom metal and other depressing songs..... whats wrong with me?

Posted Jun 16, '12 at 12:47pm

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

7,639 posts

idk about this metal but i personally dont listen to anything but doom metal and other depressing songs..... whats wrong with me?

Nothing's wrong with you xvio... everyone has his/her own preferences in music and for you that's (like you said) doom metal, nothing wrong with that, in fact... I know several people who listen to it and there's nothing wrong with them I can assure you! ;)

---

As for the "M.B.W.C." competition people... I'm currently working hard to gather all the data, images and example songs for the coming competition!

It will take a while to get everything sorted out and to make all the band presentations, but the new edition is definitely coming!!! =)

I'll be posting a final overview of the second "M.B.W.C." edition soon and even though it maybe late (quite!), but I feel it should be stated, only if it were simply for the statistics! So just hang in a bit longer for that, ok? ;)

Posted Jul 12, '12 at 5:03am

mikacinikac

mikacinikac

378 posts

Metal Bands World Cup.......

Posted Jul 12, '12 at 8:14am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

7,639 posts

*looks at previous post* (o.O)

"I'll be posting a final overview of the second "M.B.W.C." edition soon..."

Yes... right... 'soon'... *facepalms* =/

SORRY for the HUGE delay there... it took me more time than I'd thought and add that to stalling it a few times, you have a promised post that is WAY overdue for over a month! *gulp* (o.O)

Anyway... better late than never! Right? So here we are, this is the official total and FINAL RANKING for the 2011-2012 METAL BANDS WORLD CUP competition!!! You chose...

_1) IRON MAIDEN - MBWC WINNER 2011-2012! (46 votes total)
_2) Pantera - Runner up! (37 votes total)

................................................................................

_3) Mastodon (29 votes total)
_4) Slayer (27 votes total)

................................................................................

_5) Sonata Arctica (22 votes total)
_6) Black Sabbath (19 votes total)
_7) Led Zeppelin (17 votes total)
_8) Rage against the Machine (16 votes total)

_9) Judas Priest (12 votes total)
--) Opeth (12 votes total)
11) Hammerfall (10 votes total)
12) AC/DC (9 votes total)
13) Guns 'n Roses (8 votes total)
--) Megadeth (8 votes total)
--) Motorhead (8 votes total)
--) Symphony X (8 votes total)

17) Dream Theater (6 votes total)
--) Metallica (6 votes total)
19) Tool (5 votes total)
20) Scorpions (3 votes total)
21) Avenged Sevenfold (2 votes total)
--) Deep Purple (2 votes total)
--) Disturbed (2 votes total)
--) Nightwish (2 votes total)
--) Rammstein (2 votes total)
--) System of a Down (2 votes total)
--) Venom (2 votes total)
27) Accept (1 votes total)
--) Angra (1 votes total)
--) Bullet for my Valentine (1 votes total)
--) Def Leppard (1 votes total)
--) Dio (1 votes total)
--) Helloween (1 votes total)
--) Poison (1 votes total)
--) Slipknot (1 votes total)
--) Soundgarden (1 votes total)
--) Van Halen (1 votes total)
37) Anthrax (0 votes total)
--) Diamond Head (0 votes total)
--) DragonForce (0 votes total)
--) Faith No More (0 votes total)
--) Fates Warning (0 votes total)
--) KISS (0 votes total)
--) Manowar (0 votes total)
--) Motley Crue (0 votes total)
--) Nitro (0 votes total)
--) Ratt (0 votes total)
--) Saxon (0 votes total)
--) Sepultura (0 votes total)
--) Stratovarius (0 votes total)
--) Testament (0 votes total)
--) Ozzy Osbourne (0 votes total)
--) Queensryche (0 votes total)
--) W.A.S.P. (0 votes total)

Disclaimer: The final ranking is based upon progression during the competition. Bands that were eliminated during the stages are subsequently ranked based upon total votes given and alphabetically.

---

And of course... a brand new edition of the "M.B.W.C." competition is coming! All data is being gathered right now and the next edition will be -like I said- brand new!

The new edition will be featuring even more metal bands, all nicely fitted into groups of their particular genre. And next to that, the new edition will expand over a much wider array of sub-categories within the Heavy Metal genre, so this means... more bands, more genres, more votes and MORE FUN! =)

For those that want to contribute to the "M.B.W.C." and suggest bands for the next edition (iwc. thank you!), here's your chance to have a look at the bands that were already featured in the last edition.

If you feel that there are bands that haven't been featured yet, which you think should have been, please state them and I will take them into consideration for the next edition! I already have a rough outlining prepared, so there are no promises or guarantees... ok? ;)

Thanx to those that have participated in this competition and took the time to vote and write up the reasonings for their favorite bands! I Hope I can welcome you for the next edition as well! Thanx again!! =)

Posted Jul 13, '12 at 1:17am

thepyro222

thepyro222

1,971 posts

Lamb of God and Amon Amarth are the only two bands I can think of that I'd like to see

Posted Jul 14, '12 at 10:49am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

7,639 posts

Allright! Thanx for the suggestion pyro! =)

And to lift the courtain a little... both bands will actually be featured in the coming edition! I already had the same thought about these two! ;)

And I know another AG user who will be happy with this news... right HahiHa?! =)

Posted Jul 16, '12 at 9:27am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,835 posts

Knight

I don't Vader and Suicide Silence are in?

Posted Jul 19, '12 at 9:28am

MrDayCee

MrDayCee

7,639 posts

LOL Are you anxious to lift the curtain a little more nicho?! Heheheh...

Well... I have the lineup pretty much ready now and I'll probably be disspointing you with this but... out of the 80 bands that will be featured in the next edition, Vader and Suicide Silence weren't included in my lineup... still like me?! Sowwee... =/

Reply to "M.B.W.C." : the Metal Bands World Cup!

You must be logged in to post a reply!