Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Non-Religious People?

Thread Locked

Posted Apr 8, '08 at 12:18am

ubertuna

ubertuna

2,092 posts

Knight

I have been looking through the forums and it seems that almost every single person believes in a god, or a heaven and hell.  I was wondering if there are any users like myself, that don't believe in any religious... stuff.

Posted Apr 8, '08 at 12:29am

ubertuna

ubertuna

2,092 posts

Knight

"Not to many, but quite a few"?  Hehehe...

Posted Apr 8, '08 at 12:45am

Strop

Strop

10,824 posts

Heh, he's just pointing out your use of "weasel words", no biggie methinks.

Don't forget that there's a larger group of people that tend to be overlooked: agnostics. Atheists believe that there is no god, agnostics broadly do not know whether there is a god or not, either because they are undecided, or because they believe that one cannot know, to varying degrees.

Thanks to my metaphysics, I'm one of the latter varieties.

Posted Apr 8, '08 at 12:52am

garifu

garifu

172 posts

Cripes, I always forget about that category. I'm in that group as well, but for forum debating purposes, people seem to argue against atheism[/1], so I argue [i]with it ;)

Posted Apr 8, '08 at 12:53am

garifu

garifu

172 posts

buh, not good with the BB code...

Posted Apr 8, '08 at 1:01am

Strop

Strop

10,824 posts

Yeah, I don't argue about atheism because often it tends to become a political argument very quickly I'm not into the politics of religion vs atheism, unlike, say, Dawkins, because he wishes more to wage war with the church "and therefore religion".

Me, I think extending criticism from the church (which IMO is somewhat valid) to religion is a false step. Hence, no identifying with atheism per se. In fact I get a little annoyed when people call me an atheist because chances are they won't understand my metaphysics either.

Posted Apr 8, '08 at 9:13am

Moegreche

Moegreche

2,854 posts

I am an atheist, although authors like Dawkins and Harris kind of frustrate me.  I don't like the feel of agnosticism, personally, and sitting on the fence is rather uncomfortable.

Posted Apr 8, '08 at 9:23am

Megamickel

Megamickel

946 posts

I know for a fact that God does exist, but it's something you can't really prove to anyone else. It's one of those personal things you kind of have to figure out for yourself, and trying to explain it to anyone else just makes you look like a raving lunatic. I disagree with Dawkins - I fight the church and yet am still a Christian. I believe that the corrupt system in place by most, if not all churches has become so full of greed and power struggles that it needs to be done away with so we can start fresh.

Posted Apr 8, '08 at 9:58am

Asherlee

Asherlee

5,189 posts

Knight

I find fence riding rather sensational. So, that's where I fit in.  Because the arguments to prove or disprove God aren't phenomenal, I find agnosticism the right place for me.

Posted Apr 8, '08 at 10:19am

Brigadier

Brigadier

66 posts

I am also an Atheist. I don't think any religion is right or wrong though. Atheism is just how I am. When religion coems up in a topic I try to make a similar statement each time which is.

"Every human is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs, and I respect everyones opinions and beliefs."

Personally, I think religion is an Ignorant thing to fight over. People killing their fellow man just because they're different. What is going to happen to our world if we keep these religious wars up?

Eventually its going to go way out of hand and armies will be organized based on religion. It's going to break off into the "Hey your different than me! *BANG*" Instinct in people. We are going to have one huge religious war and Helter Skelter will break loose.