ForumsWEPRNon-Religious People?

24 6242
ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

I have been looking through the forums and it seems that almost every single person believes in a god, or a heaven and hell. I was wondering if there are any users like myself, that don't believe in any religious... stuff.

• 24 Replies
ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

"Not to many, but quite a few"? Hehehe...

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Heh, he's just pointing out your use of "weasel words", no biggie methinks.

Don't forget that there's a larger group of people that tend to be overlooked: agnostics. Atheists believe that there is no god, agnostics broadly do not know whether there is a god or not, either because they are undecided, or because they believe that one cannot know, to varying degrees.

Thanks to my metaphysics, I'm one of the latter varieties.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

Cripes, I always forget about that category. I'm in that group as well, but for forum debating purposes, people seem to argue against atheism[/1], so I argue [i]with it

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

buh, not good with the BB code...

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Yeah, I don't argue about atheism because often it tends to become a political argument very quickly I'm not into the politics of religion vs atheism, unlike, say, Dawkins, because he wishes more to wage war with the church "and therefore religion".

Me, I think extending criticism from the church (which IMO is somewhat valid) to religion is a false step. Hence, no identifying with atheism per se. In fact I get a little annoyed when people call me an atheist because chances are they won't understand my metaphysics either.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

I am an atheist, although authors like Dawkins and Harris kind of frustrate me. I don't like the feel of agnosticism, personally, and sitting on the fence is rather uncomfortable.

Megamickel
Megamickel
902 posts
Peasant

I know for a fact that God does exist, but it's something you can't really prove to anyone else. It's one of those personal things you kind of have to figure out for yourself, and trying to explain it to anyone else just makes you look like a raving lunatic. I disagree with Dawkins - I fight the church and yet am still a Christian. I believe that the corrupt system in place by most, if not all churches has become so full of greed and power struggles that it needs to be done away with so we can start fresh.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

I find fence riding rather sensational. So, that's where I fit in. Because the arguments to prove or disprove God aren't phenomenal, I find agnosticism the right place for me.

Brigadier
Brigadier
51 posts
Nomad

I am also an Atheist. I don't think any religion is right or wrong though. Atheism is just how I am. When religion coems up in a topic I try to make a similar statement each time which is.

"Every human is entitled to their own opinions and beliefs, and I respect everyones opinions and beliefs."

Personally, I think religion is an Ignorant thing to fight over. People killing their fellow man just because they're different. What is going to happen to our world if we keep these religious wars up?

Eventually its going to go way out of hand and armies will be organized based on religion. It's going to break off into the "Hey your different than me! *BANG*" Instinct in people. We are going to have one huge religious war and Helter Skelter will break loose.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Haha..Oh Asherlee. I just pictured you sitting on a wrought-iron fence with a rather self-satisfying grin on your face, watching everyone else on the seperate sides of the fence.

I am an atheist, but I am not the kind that likes to getting in arguments over whether which side of the argument are "right." I kinda see it like getting in a pissing contest with a man on the balcony. You can never win, but then again there is no actual winner in a pissing contest.

garifu
garifu
145 posts
Shepherd

Oh, but arguing can be so fun!

But yeah, it is pretty fruitless. I don't see anyone here avoiding those threads, though...

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

Oh, hell no. Apathy is death.

Just because I do not want to argue about it, does not mean I can not stop by and put in my two cents. And shoot-down the cliche and ignorant view points. That is fun.

DecadentDragon
DecadentDragon
242 posts
Nomad

I tend to call myself agnostic, but only because I don't care enough to really brand myself as an atheist. I fit really well into the 'don't know/don't care' group.

But if pressed about it, the ideas behind religion/deity do seem rather silly.

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

Yes, there are not a whole bundle of atheists on this site, (at least ones that can actually defend there point) but I'd say there are around ten or so intelligent ones. I would not try to find a huge amount though, because polls/studies show that a large majority of people in the U.S. believe there is a God (not that majority means anything, but just a fact).

Sting
Sting
266 posts
Peasant

^ Actually, that whole thing about the majority does not really matter much on this site, since people from any country can join... so, just ignore that brief mind-lapse.

Showing 1-15 of 24